Player Discussion Necas

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
The rumors aren't saying that though.
First, we've had 1 rumor/report from Friedman (I think) that said he didn't want to extend in Columbus at the draft. We assume it's valid because it was from Friedman, even though he's wrong way more than he's right. Then we had a tweet from some poster with like 100 followers who calls himself "Canes insider" that said he wouldn't sign with WPG. We've seen no other reports from legit insiders to corroborate that report.

Secondly, I never saw anything that stated why he wouldn't sign in CLB. I did see some stuff about "wanting it to be the right fit", but that was it.

So the long term outlook of the team you speak of is an assumption fans are making from what I can tell.

Again, your assumption. If he indeed is saying he won't sign with more teams than CLB, then he's simply exercising the leverage he has. RFAs do this all the time. He doesn't get full control, but he has some control.

What he can't dictate:
1) Where the Canes can trade him. They can trade him anywhere.
2) If the Canes don't like the terms of any trade (for any reason), then they control him for 2 more years and he'll be a Hurricane for 2 more years.

What he can dictate:
1) What contract he will sign (outside of arbitration ruling). Whether that be in Carolina or with another team. The CBA provides him that right.

The only credible rumor we've seen is CLB at draft day and that Buffalo was interested at the draft, but there was no real information on the make-up of a trade with Buffalo. So it's hard to say the Canes are "finding spots".

We've seen no information on his salary ask. In fact, most of the reports have said it wasn't about money, but about fit.

Which is 100% within his rights within the CBA

Assumption that this is simply about UFA status in 2 years and not about being happy where he's playing. Of course salary is always a consideration, but so is the satisfaction of contributing to the team's success.

Yep. Agree. If the Canes don't get the return they want, he'll be under their control for 2 more years. He and his agent know that. If he doesn't want to sign an extension with a team the Canes are trying to trade him to, he'll remain a Hurricane.

Agree. But he doesn't have to sign ANY deal with ANY team the Canes decide to trade him to.

He's never really been pushed down the line-up. If young players come in and perform better than him, then that will be a good problem for Carolina.

Yep.

We know of 1 potential deal so far from legit source. The rest of this is your speculation.

Correct. I suspect when/if he's traded, the return will be underwhelming, extension or not.
Agreed with all of this except for one part. The year Jarvis joined the team was a disappointing year for Necas. He had played well the year before but he ended up with about the same pts. Jarvis arrived from day one as someone who took care of the puck better than Necas does. It felt like Jarvis got Necas’ spot which led to Necas being spread out around the lineup as a result. I remember saying and very much believing at the time that Jarvis had pushed Necas down the lineup.

Otherwise everything else I agree with 100%. We don’t know why it didn’t happen with Cbus, and some posters assumptions about Necas’ desire to play in a wide open system with no defensive responsibilities and he’s just trying to make more money are not only baseless and wildly speculative, they go against things we have heard from reputable people who have said it wasn’t about money. It’s about fit.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Agreed with all of this except for one part. The year Jarvis joined the team was a disappointing year for Necas. He had played well the year before but he ended up with about the same pts. Jarvis arrived from day one as someone who took care of the puck better than Necas does. It felt like Jarvis got Necas’ spot which led to Necas being spread out around the lineup as a result. I remember saying and very much believing at the time that Jarvis had pushed Necas down the lineup.
No argument. Those were weird times with Covid and short seasons but the addition of Jarvis certainly affected roles. The following year, with Jarvis 2nd year on the team, Necas had his best season with 71 points.

Either way, Necas was a top6 guy for the most part all of those seasons.
Otherwise everything else I agree with 100%. We don’t know why it didn’t happen with Cbus, and some posters assumptions about Necas’ desire to play in a wide open system with no defensive responsibilities and he’s just trying to make more money are not only baseless and wildly speculative, they go against things we have heard from reputable people who have said it wasn’t about money. It’s about fit.
Agree.

Reactions: bleedgreen

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
“I don’t think I want to sign a long term deal here right now and would be open to a trade.”

“Ok, well, we can send you to Columbus but you’d have to sign an 8-year deal for us to make it work.”

“Well, no thanks, because Columbus sucks.”

Fans: “there’s no pleasing this man!”

The problem is that the teams he’d probably prefer to be traded to A: don’t have the assets to acquire him at a price Carolina would accept and B: likely wouldn’t give him the role he believes he should have. There’s a reason why Carolina tried to deal with Columbus and allegedly Winnipeg and Buffalo. They have the assets to acquire him and (at the times of the alleged proposals) the roles available that he was apparently looking for.

Ultimately, since he likely wouldn’t sign a long term deal with any team except those that couldn’t realistically make an offer that Carolina would accept, his trade request was a pointless exercise.

Reactions: geehaad and cptjeff

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
The problem is that the teams he’d probably prefer to be traded to A: don’t have the assets to acquire him at a price Carolina would accept and B: likely wouldn’t give him the role he believes he should have. There’s a reason why Carolina tried to deal with Columbus and allegedly Winnipeg and Buffalo. They have the assets to acquire him and (at the times of the alleged proposals) the roles available that he was apparently looking for.

Ultimately, since he likely wouldn’t sign a long term deal with any team except those that couldn’t realistically make an offer that Carolina would accept, his trade request was a pointless exercise.
Other than CLB, what teams? Don't give me some random "Canes insider" twitter account with less than 200 followers about WPG. And we've never heard anything about what Buffalo may, or may not have offered.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Other than CLB, what teams? Don't give me some random "Canes insider" twitter account with less than 200 followers about WPG. And we've never heard anything about what Buffalo may, or may not have offered.

Hence why I said allegedly Winnipeg or Buffalo.

Carolina is going to try and get the best offer they can for Necas, which involves a deal that comes attached with a long-term signing. The teams with the best assets for such a deal are those who are not currently contenders. They're also the ones that are most likely to have a spot on their roster that would match the increased role that Necas is apparently looking for.

Necas, understandably, doesn't want to sign a long-term deal with a non-contender. I imagine he (like most hockey players) would want to win the Cup and a trade to another contender keeps his chances high. Unfortunately, teams such as those don't usually have a comparable offer worth a long-term signed Necas, nor do they usually have a role available much different than what Carolina is offering to him.

Thus, the two sides are at a standstill, because they want different things that come from opposite sources and neither side seems to want to compromise. And if that's the case, anyone could have seen this standstill coming from a mile away, which again, makes the trade request pointless. If neither side compromises, the only option is to play out the remainder of his contract, and that's been the only option from the beginning.

Reactions: cptjeff

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Hence why I said allegedly Winnipeg or Buffalo.
You used those two teams as a basis of your entire argument. So you are using suspect information to support your argument. Saying 'allegedly' doesn't change that.
Carolina is going to try and get the best offer they can for Necas, which involves a deal that comes attached with a long-term signing. The teams with the best assets for such a deal are those who are not currently contenders. They're also the ones that are most likely to have a spot on their roster that would match the increased role that Necas is apparently looking for.

Necas, understandably, doesn't want to sign a long-term deal with a non-contender. I imagine he (like most hockey players) would want to win the Cup and a trade to another contender keeps his chances high. Unfortunately, teams such as those don't usually have a comparable offer worth a long-term signed Necas, nor do they usually have a role available much different than what Carolina is offering to him.

Thus, the two sides are at a standstill, because they want different things that come from opposite sources and neither side seems to want to compromise. And if that's the case, anyone could have seen this standstill coming from a mile away, which again, makes the trade request pointless. If neither side compromises, the only option is to play out the remainder of his contract, and that's been the only option from the beginning.
no disagreement.

Reactions: MrazeksVengeance

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
You used those two teams as a basis of your entire argument. So you are using suspect information to support your argument. Saying 'allegedly' doesn't change that.

no disagreement.

I used those two teams as possible examples of the non-contenders mentioned in the post you didn't disagree with. I chose those two teams because rumors swirled around Necas and those two teams. If it helps, you can replace them with Chicago, Ottawa or Minnesota, but I've not seen anything that might connect Necas to those 3.

Reactions: cptjeff

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I used those two teams as possible examples of the non-contenders mentioned in the post you didn't disagree with. I chose those two teams because rumors swirled around Necas and those two teams. If it helps, you can replace them with Chicago, Ottawa or Minnesota, but I've not seen anything that might connect Necas to those 3.
No, it doesn't help. You are picking and choosing teams at random to support the notion that he won't extend (ie...wouldnt give him the role).

You are making assumptions without data to back up those assumptions.

Satzmann666

Jul 14, 2024
We do not know for sure he has actually requested to be traded, however I do believe it was one of the options provided in the post season discussion with the team about his expectations for the future.
We do not know what kind of additional preferences he provided regarding potential trade (contract expectations, teams he would sign with long term, teams he wouldn't sign with under any circumstances).
We do not know what kind of extensions were offered to Necas as part of those rumored trades with CBJ, Sabres and Jets.
It could have easily been that the Canes just tried to force trades conditioned by extensions they knew were going against his preferences, expecting him to change his mind for whatever reason.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I realize Kadri is 33 years old, but would the Canes consider trading Necas for Kadri if Kadri waived his NTC. 7 M cap hit through 2029..
Tulsky wrote the book on projection of decline in the mid 30s. There’s 0 chance he would acquire a 7M 34 year old (turns 34 before next season) signed through his age 38 season.

If you’re lucky he’s on LTIR at the end. Otherwise it’s an anchor of a contract and even a buyout is at least $2M a season.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Kadri would require 25-33% retain and we basically give up a 2nd and a couple of meh prospects/players. Other than that 3 seasons of declining production is of little to no interest. His last 2 seasons are almost untradeable too.

whiskers

Aug 2, 2018
Kadri would require 25-33% retain and we basically give up a 2nd and a couple of meh prospects/players. Other than that 3 seasons of declining production is of little to no interest. His last 2 seasons are almost untradeable too.
No thanks how many times do we need to get burnt by ex. Maple Leaf players and other Canadian team , rather keep Necas even hid dad and GF are unhappy and trade him next year maybe by then Brady will demand a trade as Sens dont make the playoffs once again

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad