Speculation: Necas to the CBJ???

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
There's a wide variance in Laine's valuation on this site. I lean towards valueless or perhaps negative in full.

You're absolutely right, there's a perception and then there's reality. I can understand people who argue that Laine's streak of injuries is too scary and that it will just continue. If one believes that injuries will just always be an issue with him then the value is hard to see. You don't want a player who is never available.

But when Laine is healthy, especially when used to his strengths (and with Aho this would come naturally) he's a much better player than Necas, he's also better than Guentzel.

So it really comes down to what you're prioritizing when viewing the possible trade. The potential or the risk. If Laine plays a healthy season with Aho, you'll quickly forget the aforementioned names. But that can be a massive IF, especially if you believe injury frequency is a solid not a variable

Last edited:
Reactions: behemolari

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
So you would try Necas out at C for a couple years while you wait for Lindstrom?
That would be the idea probably. He's still a winger to me btu wouldn't hurt to give a year or 2 down the center as a 2C. I still feel like there is a deal here as it seems like Necas is more interested in expanding his role which he would in Columbus, even if it might not be successful. I am still thinking Marchenko might be the odd man out as he's our most valuable trade piece to a team who wants to win now (unless this year turns into a retool which is starting to look that way with Carolina)

Reactions: ameselare

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
You're absolutely right, there's a perception and then there's reality. I can understand people who argue that Laine's streak of injuries is too scary and that it will just continue. If one believes that injuries will just always be an issue with him then the value is hard to see. You don't want a player who is never available.

But when Laine is healthy, especially when used to his strengths (and with Aho this would come naturally) he's a much better player than Necas, he's also better than Guentzel.

So it really comes down to what you're prioritizing when viewing the possible trade. The potential or the risk. If Laine plays a healthy season with Aho, you'll quickly forget the aforementioned names. But that can be a massive IF, especially if you believe injury frequency is a solid not a variable
His shot is otherworldly but he has injury concerns and spotty compete

Apr 9, 2009
USA

I've seen most of Jake's career and most of Laine's games with Columbus. Jake is better. No question about it in my mind. And that isn't an insult to Patty. He's performed far better with Columbus than most realize. And Jake is apparently significantly better than many realize.

Reactions: majormajor

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
I've seen most of Jake's career and most of Laine's games with Columbus. Jake is better. No question about it in my mind. And that isn't an insult to Patty. He's performed far better with Columbus than most realize. And Jake is apparently significantly better than many realize.

There's one big difference in their situations. In CBJ Laine was to be the line driver because there was no dominant #1 C to draw attention. Laine has basically never had that for a long stretch in the NHL. Jake has had someone who might have elevated his play. Both in pens and canes.

No diss to Brian Little, Boone Jenner, Cole Sillinger etc. I'm sure they all agree they aren't Crosby. Or Gino.

With Aho he would have a dominant #1 to play with. And last time he shared the ice with Aho, they were world champions and true MVPs of the tournament.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
He’s not even a center. Do people still not realize that?
Hope springs eternal. It's funny; Patrick Laine has more bonafides at center owing to his experiments there with Vincent, but back at HFCBJ he's obviously totally unacceptable while Necas is sure to be locked in as a long-term #2C. It's so grass-is-greener it f***ing hurts.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
Personally I don't think its likely but I do see Columbus has the best "Break Glass incase of Emergency" escape chute for Carolina if everything goes sour this week. Both Gms know each other and based on the draft Columbus already have contract terms with Necas.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Yeah, I don’t know if Columbus should pursue him after signing Monahan unless he will be the replacement for Laine
This all went down at/before the draft, suggesting that Monahan was plan-B.

Necas gripes he wants out and wants to play C...gets opportunity to be traded and to play C. "Nah, not like that." and scuttles the deal. I was always a proponent that Carolina was misutilizing Necas and should at-least give him a shot at C and stop bouncing him around the lineup, but he's starting to seem like a primadonna.

Reactions: DaveG

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
This all went down at/before the draft, suggesting that Monahan was plan-B.

Necas gripes he wants out and wants to play C...gets opportunity to be traded and to play C. "Nah, not like that." and scuttles the deal. I was always a proponent that Carolina was misutilizing Necas and should at-least give him a shot at C and stop bouncing him around the lineup, but he's starting to seem like a primadonna.
Yeah, seems he wants to have his cake and eat it too as they say. Wants to be "the guy" and get prime PP time and play center but clearly wants it to be on a team that can win now not in a few years.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Yeah Laine does not carry that value currently - these offers are nuts based on what Carolina has been pretty publicly been asking for
laine retained at 50% would carry a $4.35m cap hit for the next two seasons. the jackets could also add one of its younger players/prospects.

if you're carolina, would you rather pay necas $8x8 without being convinced that he's The Guy or would you rather have laine making a shade over $4m for the next two years in a situation where he has far more support than he did in columbus? he's been about a point-per-game player when healthy the last few years.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
laine retained at 50% would carry a $4.35m cap hit for the next two seasons. the jackets could also add one of its younger players/prospects.

if you're carolina, would you rather pay necas $8x8 without being convinced that he's The Guy or would you rather have laine making a shade over $4m for the next two years in a situation where he has far more support than he did in columbus? he's been about a point-per-game player when healthy the last few years.

The last reporting I saw was that Necas himself declined to sign an extension with CBJ as part of a proposed trade prior to the draft. I am not sure there is any reason why CBJ would consider trading anything for him at this point given that.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
The last reporting I saw was that Necas himself declined to sign an extension with CBJ as part of a proposed trade prior to the draft. I am not sure there is any reason why CBJ would consider trading anything for him at this point given that.
there's a bit of ambiguity in how it was reported.

"it didn't get done" could've just meant that the trade didn't get done, not the extension component. there's other reporting that waddell was going to keep the pick no matter what if lindstrom was still on the board.

it could've meant that necas didn't want to sign here, or that the jackets weren't comfortable meeting his asking price, but none of that has been directly reported. it's plausible but still speculative to say definitively that the contract was the reason for the deal not coming to fruition.

Reactions: MinJaBen

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Turkey
    KNOCKOUT Austria vs Turkey
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $15,750.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 2