GDT: UFA Frenzy 2024 - We're ALL Gonna Die

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Screenshot 2024-07-02 at 10.56.50 AM.png

Are you kidding me! Wtf. We just traded Necas for Trouba @25% retained & a 2nd rounder? Awful return & freaking Trouba?!

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
right. Russians are value drafts unless they are like Ovie etc.

I mean Nikishin was 69 OA.

How often do russians get drafted in the top 10? Sure sergachev was. But Kucherov, Shesterkin, etc all were like 2nd rounders or worse. The Ovie malkin year is an outlier.

Most of your good russain assets are like 2nd rounders these days. Now even more risk because of the KHL thing and the war.

Yeah svech was high. Sure. But again taking a russian in the first is less and less common and many russians fall to the 2nd as value picks because of this.
what is this?

Nikishin was a top 15 talent in that draft until he was found with a heart problem that may have prevented him from playing ever again. So he fell.

Russians have falled because GMs are afraid that Putin will pull Fedotkov with their players as no big name russian had come out of russia since Covid. We see that changing with Michkov (a top 7 pick) coming out of Russia this year.

Its not money value as why we make those picks its pick value. they are the best players available at those trades because other teams purposefully skip them.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
I thought we were drafting Russians because we recognized our need to introduce a more physical aspect to our lineup, and generally speaking, Russians tend to play a more physical game than Finns.
I view the Borg as always looking for market inefficiencies and selecting that way. Thus, Ru players were available in recent years that wouldn't typically be found when Canes drafted them. I was happy that they picked up some size this year too.

FWIW: They do seem to cover all bases though with Forward, D and Goalies (well not this year for G's).

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I agree with you but I am not sure the Canes' FB Season Ticketholder crowd will be so patient. In several groups, some were saying the increased ticket costs and other associated changes in perks, benefits, etc. have them expecting a team that performs and produces for the money being spent. Some were kind of miffed that they weren't better informed about the pending roster losses by their ticket contacts until after the 2024-2025 ticket bills were paid. It seemed that they thought the exiting players would be backfilled with equal or better options.

It could just be the sting of the Guentzel loss, but there was a lot of chatter about how RBA's demanding style of play and the lack of interest in Raleigh as a location will prevent us from ever getting top talent. They were mocking ET's "sustainable success" commentary from yesterday. I feel bad for him as he seems to be bearing the brunt for what has happened and is being labeled a TD yes man. Some of the commentary about him is rather personal and childish, too.
That’s rough that a ticket rep needs to explain to a season ticket holder how the salary cap works. You’d think if you spent that much money/time dedicated to something you’d at least know something about it.

Then again, people are mostly stupid.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
View attachment 891314

Are you kidding me! Wtf. We just traded Necas for Trouba @25% retained & a 2nd rounder? Awful return & freaking Trouba?!
You dont need trouba. Just his elbow

what is this?

Nikishin was a top 15 talent in that draft until he was found with a heart problem that may have prevented him from playing ever again. So he fell.

Russians have falled because GMs are afraid that Putin will pull Fedotkov with their players as no big name russian had come out of russia since Covid. We see that changing with Michkov (a top 7 pick) coming out of Russia this year.

Its not money value as why we make those picks its pick value. they are the best players available at those trades because other teams purposefully skip them.
You just made my point. The picks are "cheap" draft wise because of the risk which is why we are russia heavy now

Man signing Raanta is..... something. I was for sure he would retire after this past season

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I agree with you but I am not sure the Canes' FB Season Ticketholder crowd will be so patient. In several groups, some were saying the increased ticket costs and other associated changes in perks, benefits, etc. have them expecting a team that performs and produces for the money being spent.
If the Canes win, there will be plenty of STM to take their places. If the Canes lose, they'll take a hit at the box office. Period.

The worst thing a front office can do is to value fan sentiment over winning, because fans, as a rule, know f*** all.

The FO has a formula. They will stick with that formula as long as it gets them to the playoffs every year with a shot to win it all. When they start to miss, they'll get fired.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
If the Borg "forces" Necas to stay I'm not too worried about his attitude affecting his play. Not only will he be playing for his next contract I'm thinking Rod is the perfect coach to keep him motivated. Plus, I like the leadership group in the locker room with respect to mitigating any possible attitude issues.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017

You just made my point. The picks are "cheap" draft wise because of the risk which is why we are russia heavy now

Man signing Raanta is..... something. I was for sure he would retire after this past season
that wasnt your point at all but okay

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

where'd Raants sign? I can't seem to find anything on Cap Friendly or the MB with that one.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Wow, time flies....Hedman will be 34 this year. He just signed a 4 year extension at $8M per for 4 years starting in '25-'26.
whelp, there goes the UFA dman market next summer. Best gusy on the board are probably a 40 YO Burns and Orlov not even joking.

upd: nevermind, saw Theodore is still a pending UFA and thought Chychrun had 2 more left.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
whelp, there goes the UFA dman market next summer. Best gusy on the board are probably a 40 YO Burns and Orlov not even joking.

upd: nevermind, saw Theodore is still a pending UFA and thought Chychrun had 2 more left.

Canes don't need defensemen next year unless Nikishin stays in Russia for some reason or if Morrow is clearly not ready yet. What they should add is a major forward, potentially. I'm not even going to set the sun on a major move this offseason yet. They still have all of those trade assets and a lot of clubs with cap issues and/or trade requests that have yet to be taken care of.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
+1....that was a TT problem.
Interestingly enough, there was a quote that Rod made about TT that went something like, "....he's not a practice player, but in a game he may be the most competitive guy on the team". I think it drove Rod crazy but in the end he appreciated what Tuevo brought, especially on the defensive side of things.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Canes don't need defensemen next year unless Nikishin stays in Russia for some reason or if Morrow is clearly not ready yet. What they should add is a major forward, potentially. I'm not even going to set the sun on a major move this offseason yet. They still have all of those trade assets and a lot of clubs with cap issues and/or trade requests that have yet to be taken care of.
Oh I know we'll back-fill one of the spots for sure, just think there's room for one more add there if needed. Or we could go full on batshit crazy and go after Drai with a monster offer if the Oilers don't extend him.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Oh I know we'll back-fill one of the spots for sure, just think there's room for one more add there if needed. Or we could go full on batshit crazy and go after Drai with a monster offer if the Oilers don't extend him.

Personally, my target next year would be Konecny, and rather easily, in fact. Unlike what happened with Guentzel, I hope they learn their lesson and have an extension ready before the trade is made. I think the Avs and Oilers will find a way to keep Rantanen and Draisaitl, because normally teams like that do so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad