Around the League

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Electric Eric

#91 To the Rafters!
Feb 10, 2014
Portland -> Netherlands
Even though I would love to have Trouba here, I really really respect him for wanting to stay with his wife and newborn kid. Huge props to him for that.
Same, I started off thinking everyone sucks with this situation but at the end of the day the only thing Trouba is guilty of is not living up to his contract. I've never heard any work ethic complaints against him so it seems like its just his body/mind isn't able to play at an 8million dollar level anymore. Sucks.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
Trouba should just retire for a year. He should have enough money in the bank to survive. They can then stay home, she finishes her regency, he can help with the baby, and he can resume his career a year later.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Trouba should just retire for a year. He should have enough money in the bank to survive. They can then stay home, she finishes her regency, he can help with the baby, and he can resume his career a year later.
Or he could use his trade protection to stay on the team that gave him that protection while making $8 million. I don't see why he wouldn't do that.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
If NYR really wanted to be rid of him they'd just dump him to the AHL in the fall. He'd refuse to report for the same reasons he's blocking trades now and they could terminate his contract and not have to claim any of it against the cap. If they're not willing to do that, they aren't that desperate to be clear of him or his contract.

Drury is the idiot in this for apparently not talking to Trouba beforehand and seeing where he stood about being dealt. It seems like Drury just assumed Detroit would be fine because it's the hometown team. Also, he needs to find who runs their mouth to brooks and fire them.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
If NYR really wanted to be rid of him they'd just dump him to the AHL in the fall. He'd refuse to report for the same reasons he's blocking trades now and they could terminate his contract and not have to claim any of it against the cap. If they're not willing to do that, they aren't that desperate to be clear of him or his contract.

Drury is the idiot in this for apparently not talking to Trouba beforehand and seeing where he stood about being dealt. It seems like Drury just assumed Detroit would be fine because it's the hometown team. Also, he needs to find who runs their mouth to brooks and fire them.
According to the Brooks article, the Rangers have 4 defensemen if you include Trouba. It also sounds like they don't have much in the prospect pipeline. Of course they can buy him out. Maybe offering a guy a max term and NMC wasn't the greatest idea.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
According to the Brooks article, the Rangers have 4 defensemen if you include Trouba. It also sounds like they don't have much in the prospect pipeline. Of course they can buy him out. Maybe offering a guy a max term and NMC wasn't the greatest idea.

I can get why they did, he just came off that big year in Winny. But, yeah, they give a guy a contract like that you're tying your hands.

if they are having trouble finding some D, we can give them Holl. :naughty:

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
Would you make this trade? Berggren and Fabbri, 2025 2nd round pick to Ottawa for Josh Norris. Norris is a left hand centre. Like Fabbri he has been injury prone. He has 6 years left on a 7.95 million AAV contract. I believe the Sens would have to retain at least 35% of salary. I saw this on a U Tube channel. Norris is 25 and not sure the extent of his injuries.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Would you make this trade? Berggren and Fabbri, 2025 2nd round pick to Ottawa for Josh Norris. Norris is a left hand centre. Like Fabbri he has been injury prone. He has 6 years left on a 7.95 million AAV contract. I believe the Sens would have to retain at least 35% of salary. I saw this on a U Tube channel.

Not in a million years. Ottawa can eat that contract.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Pretty sure Brooks source was Glen Sather, at least a few people have suggested that his source just retired.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
My memories for Chelios was kind of:

- Won a Cup as kid at Montreal
- Lived his prime at Chicago days, winning Norris Trophies
- Won extra Cups at Detroit on his old days.

But, I really have to ask. Why did Montreal trade him at 1990, after Chelios was a 1986 Cup winner on his second season, and won 1989 Norris Trophy?

Why was Montreal trading their Captain, a 27-year old Norris Winner to Chicago ?

Won Norris 3 times, 1989 (MTL), 1993 (CHI), 1996 (CHI).
Was a Norris finalist at 1991 (CHI), 1995 (CHI), 2002 (DET).

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005

But, I really have to ask. Why did Montreal trade him at 1990, after Chelios was a 1986 Cup winner on his second season, and won 1989 Norris Trophy?

Why was Montreal trading their Captain, a 27-year old Norris Winner to Chicago ?

Born in Chicago, IL
Vs
Born in Pointe Gatineau, Quebec

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Rangers fans being uniquely outraged about Trouba's contract are just dumb. His play has been par for the course for pretty much every 7-8 year contract that crosses the age of 30. They got 4 good years, a painful season where they watched him fall off a cliff, now they're going to suffer for the next 2.

How is this not most contracts like this, particularly for defensemen?

Their fanbase acting victimized by the second half of Trouba's max contract is beyond ridiculous. Welcome to what literally every other team in the league has had to deal with multiple times over at some point. I would expect this sort of behaviour from the very spoiled new hockey fans that make up large chunks of alot of the southern fanbases...but from a historic original six team, thats pathetic. Holy f***ing hell, get over it.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Rangers fans being uniquely outraged about Trouba's contract are just dumb. His play has been par for the course for pretty much every 7-8 year contract that crosses the age of 30. They got 4 good years, a painful season where they watched him fall off a cliff, now they're going to suffer for the next 2.

Their fanbase acting victimized by the second half of Trouba's max contract is beyond ridiculous. Welcome to what literally every other team in the league has had to deal with multiple times over at some point. I would expect this sort of behaviour from the very spoiled new hockey fans that make up large chunks of alot of the southern fanbases...but from a historic original six team, thats pathetic. Holy f***ing hell, get over it.

probably doesn't help that the teams management seem like they're being babies about it too

fans are feeding off of that a bit I imagine

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020

He wasn’t French enough.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

The two stories out there are that 1) they didn't think his knee would hold up after he got injured and/or 2) it was his conduct unbecoming of a Canadien (too much partying), like getting arrested for public urination and fighting cops.

Reactions: Oddbob

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Don't know for sure but I think it wasn't entirely a hockey move for why they traded him.

I don't care if he is the worst player of all time, he got an NMC for exactly this reason. Really dumb for fans to be mad at any player for doing what 99% of anyone would do if they wanted to stay where they are and have protection that ensures it. This is why virtually every UFA of note has some level of NMC and NTC.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Next time I'll point out that I'm joking

Sorry if I didn't know, it was very faint sarcasm and that is hard to detect in words online.

The two stories out there are that 1) they didn't think his knee would hold up after he got injured and/or 2) it was his conduct unbecoming of a Canadien (too much partying), like getting arrested for public urination and fighting cops.

I knew I remembered reading some stuff about him at that time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad