Confirmed with Link: Necas is back - 2 years / 6.5 per

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
They absolutely shit all over this deal on Sirius/XM hockey channel today.

Given the lackluster offseason- IDK what else they were gonna do. We going to lose his scoring also? If they signed him to 8 years would that be better?
Quite frankly, we have had a pretty mediocre off-season. We deserve to be ridiculed a bit right now, especially signing Necas to this deal after aggressively trying to trade him and still not having resolution on Jarvis. The future might still be bright here but this season is going to throw a bucket of ice cold water on the fan base.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Quite frankly, we have had a pretty mediocre off-season. We deserve to be ridiculed a bit right now, especially signing Necas to this deal after aggressively trying to trade him and still not having resolution on Jarvis. The future might still be bright here but this season is going to throw a bucket of ice cold water on the fan base.

I'm not really upset about our offseason. We were always going to lose some players in order to get our RFAs extended. They maintained the defense as well as they possibly could without breaking the cap bank. They took an interesting 1 year bet on Roslovic. Carrier is a prototypical Canes bottom-6er. With Necas being disgruntled, they did the best that they could given the circumstances of Guentzel choosing Tampa over Carolina. Get Jarvis extended for 8 years, and I think that a lot of angst will subside.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Necas was rejecting trade proposals this year because he wouldn't sign long-term extensions in spots like Columbus, Buffalo, or Winnipeg. It's possible that in a situation like that, where Necas ideally wants to hand-pick his team, the Canes see own-rentaling him as "value maximization." Necas will also be in that Aho-esque age range where they will not be as afraid to hand out a 7 or 8 year extension if the relationship improves.
I think we need to be clear on this, Necas didn’t REJECT any trades as he has no right to do so. He didn’t sign long term deals with shit bottom feeding teams in non-desirable locations to get the Canes max value.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I think we need to be clear on this, Necas didn’t REJECT any trades as he has no right to do so. He didn’t sign long term deals with shit bottom feeding teams in non-desirable locations to get the Canes max value.
Im just curious on if this new contract has any NTC limitations, because if not, I'd dial Waddell again and restart those talks right away, lol.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
The future might still be bright here but this season is going to throw a bucket of ice cold water on the fan base.

I dont believe one bit if this. The team for the upcoming year is much more talented than the ECF team of 2019. They will win a bunch of games, they will make the playoffs, and they will most likely win at least one round in the playoffs. Not sure why everyone feels like they had a fire sale on all.of their talent.

Edit to add we will probably not be cup contenders but in the "way too early preseason polls" we were ranked 6th.

Last edited:

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Laine?

After the trade Canes still has 4,3 mil space to sign Jarvis
Necas would bring back a heck of a lot more than Laine. And I highly doubt Laine is traded anywhere without heavy retention, no team is taking that full cap hit.

Reactions: DaveG

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
Hard to see any Laine deal that makes sense, unless it’s at max retention for a pick and a prospect. Necas is miles ahead of him from a value standpoint, KK seems off the table now with Kuzy gone. With the current construction of our roster our best and only net seems to be looking for a serviceable 2LW that isn’t on big bucks and can be had in a deal including no roster players. Either that or let the prospects fight it out for a chance to play beside Kk and Necas.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

He didn't reject any trades, but it was his actions (or non-action) that prevented the trades from taking place. So you're splitting hairs at that point.

And while he's well within his rights to do so, he had to know that the Canes weren't going to trade him without getting great value for him, which would require a new contract for him. And while I'm sure he'd prefer a trade to Boston or Colorado or another contender, they don't have the assets available to acquire him (especially with a long-term deal) nor do they have the things he apparently wants (center position and PP1). The teams the Canes apparently attempted to trade him to had both.

So knowing all that, the trade request was ultimately a pointless exercise. The way both sides approached the situation made signing a new deal with the Canes the only viable option.

Reactions: cptjeff

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
But, him not having been on that team on the latest TDL at that point, might be they can't extend him for 8 years at that time (until the next spring's TDL when he's uncomfortably close to UFA).
Moot point now, but the easy work around would have been a sign and trade after January 1 if an acquiring team really wanted the 8th year.

MisterDobz

Tryin to Reason with Hurricane Season
Apr 13, 2022
Chicago, Florida
I just don’t understand why 53 point (-9) Necas is worth 6.5 mil per year and 53 point (+15) TiVo isn’t worth 5.3 mil. Necas is faster and younger, but turns the puck over after crossing the blue line ( leading to countless odd man rushes against) while TiVo is more consistent, better defensively and can be used in more situations. I would have been much more confident with extending TiVo rather than Necas. But TiVo has always been the Rodney Dangerfield of Canes hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad