Confirmed with Link: Necas is back - 2 years / 6.5 per

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

OBXer

It's always good to have a goal
Feb 4, 2021
Manteo, NC
I’m not unhappy. If he works out good for us. If he doesn’t we should know by trade deadline and we still should get a decent return for a player with a year and a half left on his contract.

We can now focus on getting the real prize Jarvis locked up for the long haul.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
He becomes a bit more tradable now, because now the other team has guaranteed years on the contract.

And it does avoid arbitration, so if the plan is to try and repair the relationship, avoiding that was necessary.
"And it does avoid arbitration" and the negativity that goes with the 'you suck" process.

Now, it's only the fans that will grouse once the season starts once he makes a few boneheaded plays :)

Reactions: Daeavorn

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
if he is traded next offseason, the aquiring team can re-sign him immediately. if it facilitates the trade, i could see them finding a way to allow conversations to take place.
Post July 1 they can, yes. But the point is a 2-year deal caps the ceiling on the return of a trade if it's in-season or at the deadline compared to a 1-year deal.

If you're a team trying to acquire Necas in-season or at the deadline, you would most certainly value the ability to immediately lock him down long-term over having the second year at $6.5m. Because he's still an RFA so the second year is already available, you just take him to arbitration (or settle) again and pay at worst $500k-$1m more if he had a good year.

I think this means he's probably made it known he won't be signing an extension to facilitate any trade and he's going to wait it out for free agency in 2026. We can still trade him of course, and it's probably easier to move him without the contract layer, but that also means the return wouldn't be as good since they can't lock him down to avoid him walking right to free agency.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
Post July 1 they can, yes.
But, him not having been on that team on the latest TDL at that point, might be they can't extend him for 8 years at that time (until the next spring's TDL when he's uncomfortably close to UFA).

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
The upside, is if he gets a bigger role, and puts up 80 points, now he's signed for another year at only 6.5.

Seems like we have 3 guys with Svech/Necas/KK who we Keep waiting on to put it all together. Gonna be some crossed fingers going into this season.

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
signing necas to a 2 year deal actually lowers his value, it doesnt make him more tradeable. He wont good value in a trade until July 1st of next year.
Exactly. IDK why we did the one thing that would kill all the leverage we had in future trade/contract talks.

For a team that's all about maximizing assets and value, walking Necas straight to UFA is just awful asset management.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
A 1 year arbitration at this number or less that let's us figure it out next summer would've made more sense, no?
In raw contract terms, probably, But the arbitration hearing is such an experience to all parties that the player going through it quite easily gets traded away in near future, and we would probably be less of a competitor after such a mid-season trade.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Exactly. IDK why we did the one thing that would kill all the leverage we had in future trade/contract talks.

For a team that's all about maximizing assets and value, walking Necas straight to UFA is just awful asset management.

Necas was rejecting trade proposals this year because he wouldn't sign long-term extensions in spots like Columbus, Buffalo, or Winnipeg. It's possible that in a situation like that, where Necas ideally wants to hand-pick his team, the Canes see own-rentaling him as "value maximization." Necas will also be in that Aho-esque age range where they will not be as afraid to hand out a 7 or 8 year extension if the relationship improves.

Last edited:

Satzmann666

Jul 14, 2024
Isn't it obvious that the two year term is the players doing and on not the team? Arbitration can easily go south in many ways, which is why contracts are usually settled beforehand like in this case and I would bet pretty much anything Necas just wanted comfortable and fair 2 year deal that walks him to UFA without having to deal with another round of RFA BS next offseason.

Afterall I dont think a player of his caliber has ever hit arbitration so his award could be unprecedented.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
So there's always the possibility that they've got a couple of teams that were waiting for price certainty and are willing to roll the dice on getting him signed to a longer term deal. I mean, I'm not sure where he wants to go if he had his choice. If the Hurricanes haven't at least asked that question (fully knowing that Necas doesn't have to provide an answer), then it seems they are missing a crucial piece of information....then again, maybe he does want to stay if he gets an opportunity to shine.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
While I agree the acquiring team has less ability to sign, I think about Necas’s last 4 years:

20-21: signed through 22, 41 points in 53 games (63 point pace.)

21-22: pending RFA, 40 points in 71 games.

22-23: signed through 2024, 71 points in 82 games.

23-24: pending RFA, 53 points in 77 games.

I also believe Necas admitted his contract status weighed on his mind in 21-22.

If a 2 year deal makes him play better, he will bring a better return next year or Carolina can sign him long term in early July.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Necas's value regardless of contract status will mostly be dictated by his performance. He's much more valuable if he puts up another 70 point season than he is today.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
signing necas to a 2 year deal actually lowers his value, it doesnt make him more tradeable. He wont have good value in a trade until July 1st of next year.
Eh counterpoint there is that we wouldn't be trading him at the deadline anyway. His value won't be any lower at the draft than it is a few days later when the calendar for the season rolls over. With the amount of tampering we already know happens it'll be a non issue.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Eh counterpoint there is that we wouldn't be trading him at the deadline anyway. His value won't be any lower at the draft than it is a few days later when the calendar for the season rolls over. With the amount of tampering we already know happens it'll be a non issue.
Counter counter point, Necas holds all the cards and if teams interested are like this offseason, we now lose him for nothing or take a bad return

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Don’t like the term, but it’s probably the best they could do. The aav is just right.

They have this season to see if the relationship can be mended, hopefully it can.

As to all the trade talk, I think they get a Fiala or Debrincat-like return if he’s traded with an extension. Not 4th OA, but also not scraps. Hopefully they get to the point where a rental-like return-late 1st and B prospect is in the cards.

Hopefully all that talk of “finding a role for him” wasn’t bunk, he comes in with a chip on his shoulder and all is well, long term. I have my doubts about them figuring that out, but at least you don’t have to worry about it the rest of this summer and into next year too.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
If people are convinced he was just going to walk at UFA time no matter what, then what would you expect Carolina to do, because under that assumption, there's no way Necas would agree to anything more than a 2 year deal.

Option 1: Let Arbitration play out and get him for a 1 year deal (or could the team pick 2?)
Option 2: Sign him for a 1 year deal
Option 3: Sign him for a 2 year deal

If the underlying assumption is he's gone as soon as he hits UFA, which many of you are saying, then there wasn't an option for anything else other than those 3.

Last edited:

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
They absolutely shit all over this deal on Sirius/XM hockey channel today.

Given the lackluster offseason- IDK what else they were gonna do. We going to lose his scoring also? If they signed him to 8 years would that be better?

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Necas was rejecting trade proposals this year because he wouldn't sign long-term extensions in spots like Columbus, Buffalo, or Winnipeg. It's possible that in a situation like that, where Necas ideally wants to hand-pick his team, the Canes see own-rentaling him as "value maximization." Necas will also be in that Aho-esque age range where they will not be as afraid to hand out a 7 or 8 year extension if the relationship improves.
Tulsky has the opportunity to do the funniest thing right now by sending Necas to Columbus, Buffalo or Winnipeg for the next 2 years now that he's locked in on a contract

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad