Player Discussion: Neal Pionk Part 2

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Agreed. The take that Pionk only plays well in contract years seems a little simplistic to me. I think the style of playing partner probably has a big impact on his play. He seems to have found a really nice groove with Samberg and just maybe this is just the start of many years of a strong 2nd pair for the Jets. 2 guys who skate well. One pushes offense, one more stay home. Also 2 guys that grew up in the same area and have known each other long before they were professional hockey players. Also agreed, Pionk's next contract will get more and more expensive if this current play continues.

It's easy to forget I guess that he led the Jets defense in scoring the first 2 years here post Buff. One of those wasn't a contract year. He's been a - defenseman one year here, and I believe that's the year he broke his foot according to Chevy.

Right now he's in line for a big payout, but I'm hoping he's the kind of guy that would leave money on the table so that his d partner gets rewarded too.

Still early but it's a lot less hostile in this thread than previous couple of years.

Reactions: Buffdog

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
If Pionk puts up career numbers, what would he be worth? $8M+ aav on a long term deal? I wouldn’t be comfortable giving him that deal with his inconsistency, slow feet and Salomonsson waiting in the wings.

And or if he doesn’t sign before the deadline do you move him? And what could you get in trade for him?

Will be an interesting few months with Ehlers, Pionk and Appleton needing new deals.

Reactions: Buffdog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad