OT: NBA Discussion Thread: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Knicks need 3-5 years of pure sucking to become legitimate. When a team has limited assets, it's best to pull and Alderson. It takes time and patience... But it is the best way to achieve the results you want.

Grunwald ****ed us with that Bargnani trade.

Yep. This season would be phenomenal if we had a first round pick. Just enoguh flashes of top tier play but clearly a couple of pieces away...would've loved a young top 10 pick.

I defended it when it happened, but they didn't get Marc Gasol and the 50 win team imploded. So, so bad.

BarbaraAlphanse

Anyone think this can work:

Melo for Winslow and Whiteside
Derozan Max FA signing in '16
Westbrook Max FA signing in '17

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Knicks need 3-5 years of pure sucking to become legitimate. When a team has limited assets, it's best to pull and Alderson. It takes time and patience... But it is the best way to achieve the results you want.

Grunwald ****ed us with that Bargnani trade.

Didn't you in the offseason say that Knicks could contend as early as 2017? ;)

BarbaraAlphanse

Well they could... But wasn't that statement taking for grAnted KD would come?

I can't even watch the Knicks anymore on a regular basis so I'm definitely not the one to take statements like that for face value. Maybe I was riding a wave of euphoria and lost sight of the fact that this is the Knicks we are talking about.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York

I think the Knicks definitely could contend in the next year or two depending on who they sign. Trading Melo for anything besides his declining health is stupid. KP and Rolo is a good front court, and could be a great one if KP takes "the next step" in the offseason. I hope they resign Derrick Williams and let Afflalo go.

If they can land an above average guard and shore up the depth (no more Sasha, no more Seraphin, no more Lou, and hopefully a resurgent and motivated KoQ) they're a playoff team next year. If they can land Westbrook they're a top team in the East.

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
**** Grunwald for that Bargnani trade. What a disaster. Worst trade in franchise history and that is saying a lot. Toronto is going to make a deep playoff run and them seemlessly replace DeRozan with a better shooting guard that WE NEED RIGHT NOW and they are going to do it with our own pick.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Been saying for a while that Melo has to go.

And yeah that Bargnani trade. Ugh

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Well they could... But wasn't that statement taking for grAnted KD would come?

I can't even watch the Knicks anymore on a regular basis so I'm definitely not the one to take statements like that for face value. Maybe I was riding a wave of euphoria and lost sight of the fact that this is the Knicks we are talking about.

Just teasing ya.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Why does Melo have to go? He was playing some of the best basketball of his career before the dumbass ref tripped him and ****ed up his leg.

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
They simply don't have enough of anything to be seriously competitive.
A team of interchangeable parts. They just got worse under Fish. He's a funny guy. His personal baggage is what got him canned sooner than later. I never saw any glimmer of true leadership or innovation from the guy.
They have a lot of work to do.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
They simply don't have enough of anything to be seriously competitive.
A team of interchangeable parts. They just got worse under Fish. He's a funny guy. His personal baggage is what got him canned sooner than later. I never saw any glimmer of true leadership or innovation from the guy.
They have a lot of work to do.

I disagree. A healthy Melo and an improved Porzingis and next year the team is in the playoffs. The team needs a starting PG very badly. It really REALLY hurts not having a first round pick this year, but if Porzingis can progress and the team can trade for Teague/sign Conley they'll look good. If not then they're middling/bad for another year and then can try to trade Melo, or the depth in an attempt to tank, while having a first round.

And if they're bad enough that the team isn't competitive then we'll have a high~ 1st round pick anyway. I feel confident in the front office after the moves they've made under Phil. There's some strange decisions, but the team looked like a playoff contender until Melo got injured.

Keep Melo. If we had a 1st round pick this season would be just fine.

BarbaraAlphanse

What is it? Link?

It was floating around several places the last few days. Key pieces from each side:

Cleveland: Melo
Boston: love
NYK: both NJ nets unprotected firsts that Boston owns.

Would be excellent.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
It was floating around several places the last few days. Key pieces from each side:

Would be excellent.

Melo isn't worth an unprotected first imo.

That would be an amazing trade for us, but not sure it would be done.

BarbaraAlphanse

Melo isn't worth an unprotected first imo.

That would be an amazing trade for us, but not sure it would be done.

Of the 4 major sports drafts, the NBA draft is the worst and most imprecise. Those picks aren't worth as much. He definitely is worth those. The question is if it's even enough to entice Phil to move him. Stars win championships. Not general lottery picks. Nets might not even get someone like simmonds. Everyone is a project this year, even the top 5.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC

Would be excellent.

Boston has two 1st rounders from BK, but it's not 2 unprotected.

They have:

2016 1st rounder unprotected
2017 1st rounder - Boston has the right to swap with BK

I'm pretty sure that Melo 3way trade came from Frank Isola as an idea, not a rumor.

BarbaraAlphanse

So basically, Melo will be traded this summer. He has set out an impossible task. There is a candid interview he had with Marc Spears of Yahoo. He isn't talking about competing for the playoffs. He said championship, and he wants to next year.

That means Durant or Lebron and neither of them is coming to the Knicks. And as such, Melo will demand to be traded.

Knicks have 18 mill available in FA this offseason. Stretch provisioning Calderon opens up another 6.

Knicks should trade Melo to Cleveland. Let's say they don't elect to do a full rebuild and aim to contend in the next 2-3 years. Trade Melo for Kyrie.

The move saves an addition 9 mill, although it could just be 7, I am uncertain if the 2 mill trade penalty incurred by trading Melo (provision set in his contract) hits the cap or is just something paid out to Melo. That allows the Knicks, at minimum, the ability to sign a max FA.

Kyrie is 23, fits the future plan, and fits the triangle like a glove.

The clear max FA choice, to me, is derozan. Another shooter.

That team may or may not make the playoffs but it will be an improvement to this year. The year after should see them targetting a 3, 5, and more depth, through more available cap (afflalo, Williams leaving and potential Lopez/oQuinn trades), and a probable decent draft pick.

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
The Knicks are an absolute disaster. Just when things can't get worse for the Knicks, they just become more of a laughing stock.

Melo should demand a trade for his own sake, let alone the Knicks. I don't blame him one bit if/when he tries to get out of here.

Porzingis is being totally misused. Phil Jackson can't let go of the Triangle, and the idea of him coaching half the games, and someone else coaching the other half is an absolute joke. His attitude about Point Guards is totally outdated too.

This team needs a coach like Tom Thibodeau or Mark Jackson, and an up-and-coming GM like Troy Weaver from the Thunder.

This is the team that really tests my loyalty. I can't root for anyone else, but they're definitely the most hopeless team I root for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad