Value of: Nazem Kadri's next deal? And where does he sign?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
What are the Avs going to do lol. No way they can afford him, they will have 1 good center on their roster. Need a 2 C, a 3rd line, and more with very little space. And they will need to sign stop gaps, which who knows what you get as MacKinnon enters his last year of contract next season and will be due at least 4M raise.

Ever heard of Alex Newhook?
Pretty good prospect that lad and already putting up some points in the NHL right now. Might want to check him out...

Avs will have a need for a center but will have some options if the likes of Kadri, Burakovsky and maybe even Nuke (even though that would suck) walk via UFA...

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
My guess somewhere in the ballpark of $6M x 4, but maybe some team jumps in and adds a fifth year.

I have no idea where he's going. I think he's done in Denver. He's a streaky player with IQ problems. When he's hot - like right now - it's great, but when he's cold it's very frustrating.

NY Rangers if Strome walks?

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Yeaaaah, hope for Price to be 27 again, hope for our prospects to develop at their max, patch and pray...

That've virtually been the recipe lately in Mtl.

Retooling, hoping to win short terms for the likes of a few MB veterans that make him sob?

Been there done that...

P.S.: plus adding another risky contract to a bad side of the 30s veteran is not something I would be comfortable with if I was Mtl GM.

How many financial burden a team can have in hope of quick fixes?

Totally understand your Pov/points.
Only reason I said to add now is the deals they recently signed in Petry, Gallagher, Anderson and Toffoli.
They seem to infer they still believe they can win now or soon, squeezing every bit of good hockey left in those aging vets.

It'd be good for those elite prospects to see more playoff games then go full rebuild, as much as that could be the best long term solution.
MON hasn't really drafted and developed well the last decade but they also haven't been in the top 5 pick range in consistent years.

2HunnidJoints

Nov 19, 2021
Ever heard of Alex Newhook?
Pretty good prospect that lad and already putting up some points in the NHL right now. Might want to check him out...

Avs will have a need for a center but will have some options if the likes of Kadri, Burakovsky and maybe even Nuke (even though that would suck) walk via UFA...
So the Avs are hoping and praying Newhook fills the 2C role as well as Kadri? If it works out great but if it doesn't.... That will close our playoff window even faster.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
It's a valid question. This is a topic that's often discussed in the Avs forum. One thing to point out is that the Avs professional scouting has had a lot of success in recent years in targeting underevalued players such as Burakovsky and Toews. There might be a struggling C that they've identified similarly. But on the same token, if they were so great in this regard, they maybe would have had a deeper roster going into the season?

The apparent plan from the beginning of Sakic's tenure as GM was to build the team through the prospect pool, and with that strategy, you're always going to run into seasons where you're replacing known contributors like Saad and Donskoi with lesser known/less proven guys who are being given a chance at a bigger role with the team. And signing a bunch of short term stop gaps to try to completely avoid seasons like this defeats the purpose of trying to build through the prospect pool in the first place, because you're not really giving the youngsters a chance to earn a roster spots, or even get a taste of NHL ice time in a call up.

Plus, you can't always expect there to be the opportunity to get an undervalued player in a trade. The key is to jump on the opportunities you get, and the Avs have done a pretty good job of that.

But, I do agree that there are concerns for next season. Fortunately, it's still only November, and a lot of things can change over the next ~60 games + the playoffs.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Montreal seems like a fit.
They need centre help. Kadri grew up a Habs fan. After trading some guys at the deadline they should have cap space in the offseason.

There's a fit, but as noted previously, a ltd for big money at 32 is sketchy. He's still a legit 2c on a lot of teams, but expecting him to score at a ppg pace elsewhere isn't realistic. Durability hasn't been an issue for him yet. Keeping his head screwed on straight in the playoffs has been. Like it or not, I think the latter has to be factored in. A two-three year deal makes sense. If you can get him under $6 million a year, great.

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
MON hasn't really drafted and developed well the last decade but they also haven't been in the top 5 pick range in consistent years.

Yeah but there's teams that have good results even drafting low in the 1st round. Washington, Anaheim, Philly to name a few.

We've heard the whole plethora of excuses since MB arrival, and not just for the drafting/developping department.

The first thing he did when he arrived was to put a big ''No excuses'' at the entrance of the players locker room.
How ironic...

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
There's a fit, but as noted previously, a ltd for big money at 32 is sketchy. He's still a legit 2c on a lot of teams, but expecting him to score at a ppg pace elsewhere isn't realistic. Durability hasn't been an issue for him yet. Keeping his head screwed on straight in the playoffs has been. Like it or not, I think the latter has to be factored in. A two-three year deal makes sense. If you can get him under $6 million a year, great.

Yeah and at 32 yo, he could hit his decline anytime.

People tend to project as if a player career is a flatline, but if you make an average, 34-35 is when most of the players see their production take a big fall. If not earlier.

Making unicorn projections based on (positive) exceptions is wishfull thinking. Wishfull thinking is the worst enemy of management...

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Yeah but there's teams that have good results even drafting low in the 1st round. Washington, Anaheim, Philly to name a few.

We've heard the whole plethora of excuses since MB arrival, and not just for the drafting/developping department.

The first thing he did when he arrived was to put a big ''No excuses'' at the entrance of the players locker room.
How ironic...

Add STL to that mix.

Who gets fired first?

Benning?
Bergevin?
Dorion?

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
What are the Avs going to do lol. No way they can afford him, they will have 1 good center on their roster. Need a 2 C, a 3rd line, and more with very little space. And they will need to sign stop gaps, which who knows what you get as MacKinnon enters his last year of contract next season and will be due at least 4M raise.

AVs have been playing without Mack during the 5 game win streak and scored 31 Goals. Shuffling their lines: Rants - 1C, Kadri - 2C and Newhook - 3C.

Early season injuries allowed the team to try different lineups. Losing Kadri to UFA would hurt, but it's not as significant. Area of most need is resigning Mack (easier with Kadri gone) and Goalie depth.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
The apparent plan from the beginning of Sakic's tenure as GM was to build the team through the prospect pool, and with that strategy, you're always going to run into seasons where you're replacing known contributors like Saad and Donskoi with lesser known/less proven guys who are being given a chance at a bigger role with the team. And signing a bunch of short term stop gaps to try to completely avoid seasons like this defeats the purpose of trying to build through the prospect pool in the first place, because you're not really giving the youngsters a chance to earn a roster spots, or even get a taste of NHL ice time in a call up.

Plus, you can't always expect there to be the opportunity to get an undervalued player in a trade. The key is to jump on the opportunities you get, and the Avs have done a pretty good job of that.

But, I do agree that there are concerns for next season. Fortunately, it's still only November, and a lot of things can change over the next ~60 games + the playoffs.

I don't really disagree with any of that except to say, at a certain point JS might want to pivot and not rely so heavily on players developing while there is a window of opportunity. At a certain point, you're relying on guys selected in the 20s to augmnent your roster. I think they've done well the past two drafts with their selections but year after year, I'm not so sure.

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Add STL to that mix.

Who gets fired first?

Benning?
Bergevin?
Dorion?

I agree for STL, they're great at drafting.

I think Bergevin will be fired in febuary, for the Olympic break.

Benning? same.

Dorion won't be fired before the end of the season. Sens went for a full rebuild, their situation is different.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
So the Avs are hoping and praying Newhook fills the 2C role as well as Kadri? If it works out great but if it doesn't.... That will close our playoff window even faster.

The obsession with "playoff window" by Avs fans is hilarious.

Avs are fine. Going "all-in" right now even more than we already did (via Kuemper and "renting Kadri, Nuke, Bura, etc.) would be really stupid.

How old are Makar, Mac, Rantanen, Landeskog, Byram, Girard exactly?

Hilarious how desperate Avs fans are even after this recent winning streak on here. Dumb but hilarious.

Who knows if the Avs will ever win a cup over the next 5-10 years? They certainly have the horses but it will take luck and there are other teams like Tampa and Vegas who might simply be better. But maybe they aren't. Only time will tell. Going "all-in" certainly won't shift the odds dramatically so I hope Sakic is not as stupid as hfAvs...

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013

And that strategy has paid off.

Avs are perpetual contenders while having a plethora of really good young guns.

But one day, if they want to win the big trophy, JS will have to sacrifice some future to plug holes in his lineup, just like Brisebois did in TB.

JB had a super talented team, but it was lacking grit. He paid the high price to acquire players he identified like quality gritty players and now he has two rings on his fingers...

To win it all you have to take calculated risks. Sacrificing a few low first rd picks is a fair price to pay when you're a serious contender. If it's what it takes to get you to the promise land, you have to do it.

I think JS is smart enough so he'll eventually do it...

Last edited:

milehigh11

Mar 4, 2014
Mile High State

Apparently, you havent been watching the Avs. With Mack out they have been scoring a ton of goals with new lineups. Rantanen has played the roll of #1 center while 29 has been out. That could be in the back of their minds going into Free Agency if Rantanen can be center #2 then newhook can start off on the wing like all our other younger centers did in their careers.

Also we have plenty of space this up coming off season. Roughly 28 million. And we can get that almost 10m higher if we find takers for Compher / Jonhson

with 38 million we can fill a few holes and have some left over cash for Macks big raise

Keys to resigning will be : Kuemper as we gave up a good package for him, Nich as he is a perfect 3rd line defensive fwd. Dont think sakic will offer more than 3 years to Kadri due to his age and suspensions. Bura is so streaky but if he comes in around 5-6 for 4 years that would be a good deal. Cant see him getting more than what Hall got

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
And that strategy has paid off.

Avs are perpetual contenders while having a plethora of really good young guns.

But one day, if they want to win the big trophy, JS will have to sacrifice some future to plug holes in his lineup, just like Brisebois did in TB.

JB had a super talented team, but it was lacking grit. He paid the high price to acquire players he identified like quality gritty players and now he have two rings on his fingers...

To win it all you have to take calculated risks. Sacrificing a few low first rd pick is a fair price to pay when you're a serious contender. If it's what it takes to get you to the promise land, you have to do it.

I think JS is smart enough so he'll eventually do it...

It's only been 4 seasons since the Avs had a 48 point seasons. Then there were 2 seasons where we barely made the playoffs as the 8 seed in the West. The last couple years, we've been much better, but I think calling us "perpetual contenders" might be a tad premature, even though I agree we're definitely trending in that direction.

I also think that, right now, it's hard to know exactly what we need, because we're still trying to figure out exactly what we have in some of the youngsters. It's also difficult to predict who might become available by the TDL that could improve the team, not to mention who is actually going to be healthy at that point. I do agree that Sakic will eventually need to make some moves to tweak the roster, but even with a stacked roster, it's still really, really hard to win the Cup in any given season, so they need to be the right moves and not drastically impact our ability to add good youngsters on ELCs to the roster when we inevitably need them over the next few years.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Mackinnon is also a centre not just a RW him and Newhook are a solid 1/2 punch. Get someone like Bonino to be 3c

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
I agree for STL, they're great at drafting.

I think Bergevin will be fired in febuary, for the Olympic break.

Benning? same.

Dorion won't be fired before the end of the season. Sens went for a full rebuild, their situation is different.
let's see how STL's drafts go now that Bill Army is in PHX. dude is nails at drafting/finding prospects

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
It's only been 4 seasons since the Avs had a 48 point seasons. Then there were 2 seasons where we barely made the playoffs as the 8 seed in the West. The last couple years, we've been much better, but I think calling us "perpetual contenders" might be a tad premature, even though I agree we're definitely trending in that direction.

Yeah, I understand what you're saying.

But every knowledgeable NHL fan knows that Colorado is the next TB.

You guys are stacked in terms of young (and youngish) high end talents, and still have depth everywhere.

All you guys need is a very good goalie, preferably a young (and cheap) one drafted or developped inside your organisation.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Apparently, you havent been watching the Avs. With Mack out they have been scoring a ton of goals with new lineups. Rantanen has played the roll of #1 center while 29 has been out. That could be in the back of their minds going into Free Agency if Rantanen can be center #2 then newhook can start off on the wing like all our other younger centers did in their careers.

Also we have plenty of space this up coming off season. Roughly 28 million. And we can get that almost 10m higher if we find takers for Compher / Jonhson

with 38 million we can fill a few holes and have some left over cash for Macks big raise

Keys to resigning will be : Kuemper as we gave up a good package for him, Nich as he is a perfect 3rd line defensive fwd. Dont think sakic will offer more than 3 years to Kadri due to his age and suspensions. Bura is so streaky but if he comes in around 5-6 for 4 years that would be a good deal. Cant see him getting more than what Hall got
yup.. AVs don't need Mac... so...

Mac to STL for Dags/Halak/3rd

kidding.. the 3rd would need stipulations

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad