Value of: Nazem Kadri

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
In a center market where Sean Monahan got a 1st+ and Nick Dowd is rumored to be getting a 1st, Kadri starts to look attractive to teams with a now window. He's a much better player than either of those 2.

I think the real issue is there aren't going to be any centers available as UFAs either. Lindholm is the only guy who looks even remotely like a top 6 C this offseason. You can't even squint, pray and hope anyone else available is. I think that's why these guys are going for what they are.

If retention is a non starter then the benefit to Calgary is getting out from under the contract while you can. To that end, the more likely exchsnge of value would seem to be a contrsct with less term left for Kadris contract or a contract of similar duration but with a lower AAV.

It was only a year ago when there were grumblings by Calgary fans about this deal. And it would have been worse if not for the Huberdeau deal getting more attention.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I don't know. Bruins and Avs fans seem pretty interested. He's been better than Lindholm this year. I'm not saying he's the better player moving forward, but this season he definitely has been.
Sure some fans are interested but do they understand the salary cap implications?

It's not as simple as saying player A has been better than player Y this year each team has different needs and fits and salary structures.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
If retention is a non starter then the benefit to Calgary is getting out from under the contract while you can. To that end, the more likely exchsnge of value would seem to be a contrsct with less term left for Kadris contract or a contract of similar duration but with a lower AAV.

It was only a year ago when there were grumblings by Calgary fans about this deal. And it would have been worse if not for the Huberdeau deal getting more attention.
If they were to decide to trade him the cost probably wouldn't be all that high as long as there is no salary coming back. If the Flames need to take a cap dump back then it gets expensive. Otherwise they might as well just keep Kadri who is fitting in well and isn't hurting a rebuild/retool at all.

Some Flames fans were complaining about his contact a year ago (some still do) but I think most aren't concerned. It's not a boat anchor like the Huby contract, he's being paid as a 2C which he is earning and should have no problem earning for the near future. If he starts to look bad in a few years his contract can easily be bought out (unlike Huby).

Reactions: Nanuuk

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Bruins fans shouldn’t be interested. I like Kadri today, but Bruins in good shape with only Hampus Lindholm as one of those contracts you worry about down the road.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011

This is a fair post. There's certainly value in getting a shorter term deal back like RyJo. In a vacuum I agree with you. That's a fair deal straight up. This isn't a normal center market though. There are more dancers than partners and Kadri's season has been excellent.

It's a bit like the year we saw Savard and Chiarot bring a 1st with other quality pieces. There was a shortage of NHL defensemen.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Sure some fans are interested but do they understand the salary cap implications?

It's not as simple as saying player A has been better than player Y this year each team has different needs and fits and salary structures.
That's definitely a consideration. The cap hit and term are why he wouldn't bring in a Lindholm level haul. It could be that you're right and the term makes him untradable. I do think the fact that teams like Boston and Colorado will have a hard time addressing it in the offseason unless they want to pay Lindholm 9M+ makes him palatable compared to other options.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Don’t fully disagree, but it must be considered that Kadri has significantly more time on his contract and both of those players can likely get minor assets. You know some GM wants toughness for the playoffs, snd Kadri has some significant negative value right now I think, Given the length of the term.

Bertuzzi might have some small value due to his good playoffs last season, but most playoff teams will be in the same boat as Toronto and need retention. There's no way reeves has anything but negative value.

Would be pretty funny to see Treliving argue about how overpaid Kadri is and how he'd need retention when Brad was the one who signed him to that deal like a year and a half ago.

Reactions: oceanchild

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
CGY fans, what is your view and feelings on Kadri? Would you entertain trading him for a good package and what would that cost with 1 mil retention for 5 years?
Avs should have 0.00% interest in Kadri's contract. We got his best years. He's a very hit or miss player. Was with the Avs too. His second season in Colorado was a train-wreck and he was terrible. His first season was meh. His third season was epic. He's super inconsistent and he's hitting his mid 30s. Regression is right around the corner.

Barf at the thought the Avs would go back to this player (his contract).

Reactions: SnowStorm

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Avs should have 0.00% interest in Kadri's contract. We got his best years. He's a very hit or miss player. Was with the Avs too. His second season in Colorado was a train-wreck and he was terrible. His first season was meh. His third season was epic. He's super inconsistent and he's hitting his mid 30s. Regression is right around the corner.

Barf at the thought the Avs would go back to this player (his contract).
So what's the plan for centers with the Avs? Lindholm was the player you needed, he's gone. If I remember correctly you didn't want to give up Ritchie.

Are you planning with an otherwise Stanley cup contender roster on going in with 1 superstar C, a 3rd line C and a couple of guys who don't belong in the league? Do you think the Oilers would sweep you that way or do you think you'd win a game?

Bear of Bad News

"The Worst Guy on the Site" - user feedback
Sep 27, 2005
I'd rather get someone like Boone Jenner than get Kadri back at this point.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I'd rather get someone like Boone Jenner than get Kadri back at this point.
Is Boone Jenner available? On what basis do you prefer Boone Jenner over Kadri on the ice? Kadri scores more, defends better, has better possession numbers, better playoff performances.

Then what do you have to give up to get the only quality 2 way vet Columbus has to insulate their young roster? Ready for Ritchie and a 1st to go out? My guess is it would cost AT LEAST that to get them to move a player they don't want to move.

Reactions: hamzarocks

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Kadri doesn't have much value at all with his current contract

He does right now. He's playing at well above his cap hit.

Is it going to be ugly in 3-4 years. Almost guaranteed but a lot of teams don't give a shit about 4 years from now. Take the risk you can LTIR him.

Deadly Dogma

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016

Is it going to be ugly in 3-4 years. Almost guaranteed but a lot of teams don't give a shit about 4 years from now. Take the risk you can LTIR him.
I wish they would change the rules with players with term, where we could trade for the remainder of the yr but as soon as the season/playoffs end his rights revert back to you.

bear16

Dec 20, 2013
So what's the plan for centers with the Avs? Lindholm was the player you needed, he's gone. If I remember correctly you didn't want to give up Ritchie.

Are you planning with an otherwise Stanley cup contender roster on going in with 1 superstar C, a 3rd line C and a couple of guys who don't belong in the league? Do you think the Oilers would sweep you that way or do you think you'd win a game?
Sure as hell beats trading for Monahan

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Manitoba

Not really, his cap hit is 7 mil per.. he has 39 points in 49 games... what exactly do you believe his cap hit should be?

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Not really, his cap hit is 7 mil per.. he has 39 points in 49 games... what exactly do you believe his cap hit should be?

Defensively sound guy playing with two rookies and at 40th in the league for even strength forwards.

Worth 9-9.5 easy this year. Doing that with two rookies is crazy

Bond

May 10, 2012
Kadri to anyone who will take his full cap hit without a long term dump coming back would be a win

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
I don't know. Bruins and Avs fans seem pretty interested. He's been better than Lindholm this year. I'm not saying he's the better player moving forward, but this season he definitely has been.
If we could make the numbers for both sides this Avs fan would prefer Kadri for numerous reasons. I just don’t see it happening

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad