Value of: Nazem Kadri

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Would pay a nice price to have him back on the Avs...and it doubly sucks because he wanted to stay and waited until it became abundantly clear the Avs didn't have the cap to keep him around at a fair salary. One of the biggest mistakes of the Sakic/CMac era was re-signing Manson and/or not paying the price to send EJ elsewhere to create the cap space to keep Kadri after the cup.

That said, Calgary would have to truly embrace sucking (i.e. bottom 3-5) for the next 2-3 seasons if they're trading Kadri...and I doubt they accept that.

Reactions: lionsDen

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Zero chance the Flames would retain for 5 years, especially at any significant amount. And if, somehow Conroy was able to convince Murray Edwards to sign off on it, the return would have to be incredible to justify it.

But that being said, I could see Kadri asking for a trade this summer. Because regardless of the platitudes coming from the organization about wanting to compete, they're pretty obviously rebuilding. And Kadri's been very vocal about wanting to still win.

With the cap going up, and expected to continue to keep going up for the next little while, it shouldn't be all that hard to move him if they need to, especially since he's playing up to his cap hit. Flames would want actual assets, almost definitely a center, coming back.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Retention is a non-starter. It's too long to tie up a retention spot for. 5 years of retention and you're only saving 1M over the cap hit? Makes no sense. Send back some money. I'd move him for almost nothing. If you're sending a cap dump I'd want assets for that.

AvStock

Mar 15, 2022
Retention is a non-starter. It's too long to tie up a retention spot for. 5 years of retention and you're only saving 1M over the cap hit? Makes no sense. Send back some money. I'd move him for almost nothing. If you're sending a cap dump I'd want assets for that.
Kadri for RyJo + 2nd?

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Maybe, he prob still doesnt like Shanny much

Dubas is gine though now, and he wasnt here with Keefe
It's a non starter with his contract for the Leafs and pretty much all teams.

His play has been good this year but he is a diminishing value every day at this point of his career.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
It's a non starter with his contract for the Leafs and pretty much all teams.

His play has been good this year but he is a diminishing value every day at this point of his career.
In a center market where Sean Monahan got a 1st+ and Nick Dowd is rumored to be getting a 1st, Kadri starts to look attractive to teams with a now window. He's a much better player than either of those 2.

I think the real issue is there aren't going to be any centers available as UFAs either. Lindholm is the only guy who looks even remotely like a top 6 C this offseason. You can't even squint, pray and hope anyone else available is. I think that's why these guys are going for what they are.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
In a center market where Sean Monahan got a 1st+ and Nick Dowd is rumored to be getting a 1st, Kadri starts to look attractive to teams with a now window.
First of all Monahan is on a really low cap hit and the Habs hit a homerun extracting a first for him.

Also this Dowd for a 1s rumor is even more insane.

The biggest thing for Kadri is his age (33) and cap hit and term.

5 more years at 7 million per.

He's a much better player than either of those 2.

Sure that 7X5 cap hit.

I think the real issue is there aren't going to be any centers available as UFAs either. Lindholm is the only guy who looks even remotely like a top 6 C this offseason. You can't even squint, pray and hope anyone else available is. I think that's why these guys are going for what they are.
Sure but teams can't go crazy and artificially attempt to create a player with no market and make an obviously foolish asset trade in terms of the cap.

That's not going to end well.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
First of all Monahan is on a really low cap hit and the Habs hit a homerun extracting a first for him.

Also this Dowd for a 1s rumor is even more insane.

The biggest thing for Kadri is his age (33) and cap hit and term.

5 more years at 7 million per.

Sure that 7X5 cap hit.

Sure but teams can't go crazy and artificially attempt to create a player with no market and make an obviously foolish asset trade in terms of the cap.

That's not going to end well.
It would go better than looking at options like Couture and Hertl. I just think it depends on the team and what you're sending back. It could make sense for Colorado or Boston. You have to think of window. If your window is almost closed like Boston for instance, why wouldn't it make sense?

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
It would go better than looking at options like Couture and Hertl. I just think it depends on the team and what you're sending back. It could make sense for Colorado or Boston. You have to think of window. If your window is almost closed like Boston for instance, why wouldn't it make sense?
All 3 options are bad options for any team with SC aspirations for salary cap reasons.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
All 3 options are bad options for any team with SC aspirations for salary cap reasons.
Again, you're looking as though a team will be contenders for 5 years. Do you think Boston will be? For them, it doesn't matter what it looks like 5 years from now. What matters is going into this playoff run with a 19 year old 2C.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Again, you're looking as though a team will be contenders for 5 years. Do you think Boston will be? For them, it doesn't matter what it looks like 5 years from now. What matters is going into this playoff run with a 19 year old 2C.
Boston doesn't have the cap space for Kadri's contract of 7 million this year even if he is a deadline deal.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Boston doesn't have the cap space for Kadri's contract of 7 million this year even if he is a deadline deal.
Agreed, Grz would have to be part of it. Vancouver didn't have the cap space for Lindholm. The russian shooting percentage czar had to be part of it.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Flames trade him at the TDL for a futures package is my guess.
I think he won't be moved because we for some inexplicable reason don't do burn it to the ground rebuilds. The Calgary Flames have been around for 45 years and have never had a top 3 pick. We've only really had one dominant stretch too. Unfortunately it was at the same time as when the Oilers had Gretzky, Messier, Kurri ect.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Agreed, Grz would have to be part of it. Vancouver didn't have the cap space for Lindholm. The russian shooting percentage czar had to be part of it.
This still doesn't make much sense for Boston and seems to be a Calgary problem that they will be stuck with as they signed the player knowing his age ect...

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Kadri has 38 points in his last 41 games playing on the Flames with mainly two rookies on either wing, while being boosted by Calgary’s 29th ranked powerplay. Over that stretch his even strength scoring rates are almost identical to his final year in Colorado (54 in 71 games pace as compared to the 58 he scored in 71 games for Colorado).

Calgary isn’t making a trade just to ditch his contract and no retention will be added. His current level of play is at or exceeding his 7M AAV, and the term that’s too long would be the same as any free agent added to a roster.

All of this is a moot point because Calgary’s GM has made it clear this a retool and not a rebuild. Their position at centre just went from being a strength to a weakness, so any offer back would have to be mind blowing for it to be considered, and would have to offer a pieces that could improve the team in the near future (2-3 years).

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
This still doesn't make much sense for Boston and seems to be a Calgary problem that they will be stuck with as they signed the player knowing his age ect...
I don't know. Bruins and Avs fans seem pretty interested. He's been better than Lindholm this year. I'm not saying he's the better player moving forward, but this season he definitely has been.

Reactions: AvStock

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
He would be a great pick up for just about any team interested in winning the Stanley Cup.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Garbage offer when you're sending back 2 cap dumps and want 5 years of retention. Kadri will be overpaid the last few years of his deal assuming his production drops, but he's earning his contract right now and a late 1st with all that extra wouldn't move the needle.

If Calgary was dead set on a rebuild and just wanted to clear the decks it would be more likely, but they have made zero indication that's their plan.
Don’t fully disagree, but it must be considered that Kadri has significantly more time on his contract and both of those players can likely get minor assets. You know some GM wants toughness for the playoffs, snd Kadri has some significant negative value right now I think, Given the length of the term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad