Nazem Kadri Discussion - MOD WARNING IN THE OP

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Kadri is the future and he will be signed long term and a lot of you are not going to be happy

The good thing is you guys are not in a position to make any decision(s)

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Gotta say, the thought that next year Naz will be a "vet" on this team makes me shudder. Get this child off this team ASAP!

It scares me too! :help:

I wonder if we could have expanded the trade with Ottawa? :dunno:

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
You must be new here. :sarcasm:

Hey guys, just a thought: could we not judge his entire character based on one emotion-fuelled action?

I get that he's been playing well lately and that's challenging because it's been hard to drum up criticism, but it's not like a knot in a fire hose where all the vitriol has to come out at once.

Typical Helen Lovejoy reaction from the media.

New - really :sarcasm:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
You mean like how Brad Marchand escapes criticism?

There have always been players like Marchand in the NHL. Almost without exception, they are loved by teammates and fans of their team and hated by opponents and fans of opposing teams. I hope that answers your question.

[mod]

Some of the stuff I'm reading about Kadri being immature is so ridiculous. Guy was fired up, tried to get back at Gio legally on the ice.

Do people not remember the Darcy Tucker and Tie Domi days? These guys were beloved and did stupid things all the time. Tucker tried to chase Rob Ray in the tunnel after they had both been ejected. Tie Domi sprayed a fan with a water bottle in the penalty box before the guy fell to his impending doom. Elbows, low bridge, dirty dirty plays that we ate up for years.

When did we get so sensitive? Kadri is one of our own, let's act like it. This is emotion, stuff we haven't seen from the majority of this team in years. I'm all for being fired up, especially in a season that is a write off, suspy or no suspy, good on him.

Yup. I've read so many times people say here "I root for the crest on the front of the sweater, not for the name on the back". Guess what, those players make our team and we should be supporting all our players as long as they're on our team.

Obviously this is something unsportsmanlike and has to be dealt with, but all those people calling Kadri immature, idiodic, and has to go...are you serious? Yeah I know he has a slight rap sheet, but that's what you get with people who wear their heart on their sleeve.
Personally, I love the emotions and intensity that Kadri plays with. I love the fact that he can beat you in the alley or on the scoreboard.
I realize that part of what you bargain for with emotional, high intensity players, is bad emotional decisions..but I love that Kadri is this intense. Better than the other 75% of the bench who played without a heart. And for some players like Kadri, an intense and emotional game is how they thrive. End rant..just my 2¢

This. Kadri's a gamer. He plays hard, plays with passion, you can count on him to show to play and that's what Lou meant with his fox-hole comment. I wish the rest of our guys had a bit more of what Naz has.

[mod] You know damn well Babs has made it a mission to focus on Kadri's development this year. It has been all over the media and he has been pumping his tires all season long. Kadri was also a high draft pick while Holland was a depth acquisition for a minor cost only due to injury issues at the C position. You know exactly the difference between the long term plans between the two players and don't pretend you don't think Kadri has had special treatment this season.
Almost 3/4 into the season, Holland and Kadri ppg totals are close, and considering the opportunity Kadri has been given I am surprised there is not a wider gap. My thinking is that if Babs took Holland under his wing like he has done for Kadri, he would produce around the same or possibly more than Kadri. This is also at half the price and without the headaches and babysitting.
If you think a player with a history of conflict with coaches, a history of head hunting leading to suspensions, a history of off ice issues and someone generally considered a me first player who throws temper tantrums and seeks revenge over winning and a team game is a good example for the up and coming talent, I am at a loss.

OK you win. Babcock is on a mission, he's obsessed with Kadri and ignoring Holland. If only it were the other way around, Holland would the guy taking on other teams #1 lines instead of alternating between the 3rd line and being a healthy scratch. And thank you for bring up Kadri's "history", it's been so long since there's been anything at all to talk about on that score, without you we may have forgotten it altogether.

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Kadri's slash gesture

Does anyone think that the league will do something about this? Personally I don't see anything wrong with it, Espisito did it at the summit series in 1972 and nothing was said. Today things are different and people are more sensitive, so I think something will be done, I hope not, but we'll see.

Myke

Jun 9, 2006
Toronto/Ottawa
www.myke.org
As per TSN:

"In 2010, Blackhawks defenceman Nick Boynton was banned from Chicago’s season-opener after he made a throat-slashing gesture following a preseason fight. Boynton was also suspended in 2006 for the identical motion.

The NHL first deemed throat-slashing gesture’s a no-no with a warning to Florida’s Peter Worrell in 2000. It has frequently been outlawed when caught on camera since then.

Kadri was disciplined for the same hand motion during a 2010 World Junior Championship game for Team Canada against Switzerland."

I think precedent is there for a suspension. Not a big deal really; good that he has that passion, just needs to translate it towards his game and not antics like this. It's a learning experience.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Does anyone think that the league will do something about this? Personally I don't see anything wrong with it, Espisito did it at the summit series in 1972 and nothing was said. Today things are different and people are more sensitive, so I think something will be done, I hope not, but we'll see.

I totally agree with you

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
As per TSN:

"In 2010, Blackhawks defenceman Nick Boynton was banned from Chicago’s season-opener after he made a throat-slashing gesture following a preseason fight. Boynton was also suspended in 2006 for the identical motion.

The NHL first deemed throat-slashing gesture’s a no-no with a warning to Florida’s Peter Worrell in 2000. It has frequently been outlawed when caught on camera since then.

Kadri was disciplined for the same hand motion during a 2010 World Junior Championship game for Team Canada against Switzerland."

I think precedent is there for a suspension. Not a big deal really; good that he has that passion, just needs to translate it towards his game and not antics like this. It's a learning experience.

If he is suspended I am fine with it but I am happy that he play with passion, work hard, and is dedicated and can stand for himself

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Kypreos was saying that while there is precedent for a game suspension based one some repeat offenders, that he thinks this should be worthy of a stern warning and at most a fine. No reason to have to resort to a suspension, but make it abundantly clear that one is coming if it happens again.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Based on league precedent I guess Kadri should be suspended 1 game.

However where I have a problem with it is this. On Saturday Tyler Bozak got a head shot from Mika Zibanejad, left that game and is not on the Leafs 4 game road trip. It's obvious he got a concussion, however why was Zibanejad not suspended for actually injuring him and all Kadri did was make a very bad gesture.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Personally, I don't think that kind of gesture is acceptable for a professional hockey player. I am not crying in outrage here, I am just saying players need to be held a high standard in this league. Whatever happens, he needs to be told by the league that this is not acceptable. You want players show emotion, but not like that. At the end of the day, it's not a big deal but still a gesture like that is unacceptable for a professional playing at the highest level. Just my opinion.

Doc300c

Jun 18, 2014
Mississauga
Based on league precedent I guess Kadri should be suspended 1 game.

However where I have a problem with it is this. On Saturday Tyler Bozak got a head shot from Mika Zibanejad, left that game and is not on the Leafs 4 game road trip. It's obvious he got a concussion, however why was Zibanejad not suspended for actually injuring him and all Kadri did was make a very bad gesture.

Totally unrelated and shouldn't be based on each other.

I think Zibanejad should have been suspended.

I think Kadri should be suspended.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Totally unrelated and shouldn't be based on each other.

I think Zibanejad should have been suspended.

I think Kadri should be suspended.
My point of view is this. Tyler Bozak is actually injured and nothing was done about that. While what Kadri did was wrong at the end of the day he didn't hurt Mark Giordano. So is a threat a lot worse compared to a player actually getting injured by a head shot?

Last edited:

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012

I think maybe a fine but you can't be serious comparing the resulting action from FORTY FOUR years ago.

that's just silly... completely different league, completely different world.

mikebel111*

Personally, I don't think that kind of gesture is acceptable for a professional hockey player. I am not crying in outrage here, I am just saying players need to be held a high standard in this league. Whatever happens, he needs to be told by the league that this is not acceptable. You want players show emotion, but not like that. At the end of the day, it's not a big deal but still a gesture like that is unacceptable for a professional playing at the highest level. Just my opinion.

I agree. Its a dumb play in the heat of the moment. I can't defend Kadri for that. He needs to cool down

Also apparently Kadri is playing tomorrow vs the Oilers. So I guess no suspension. He might have gotten a warning

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I'd be surprised to see the nhl let a leaf get away with anything even borderline...because they always make an example out of our guys.

Then again, Lou is the nhl's daddy, so maybe that'll change now.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Doesn't Lucic always do this? I thought Lucic was an oaf when he made these "you're dead" threats.

I think Kadri is also an oaf, but a harmless oaf. Kadri looks silly making these threats. He's not intimidating enough. :laugh:

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
I'd be surprised to see the nhl let a leaf get away with anything even borderline...because they always make an example out of our guys.

Then again, Lou is the nhl's daddy, so maybe that'll change now.

example?

who are you talking about?

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
Doesn't Lucic always do this? I thought Lucic was an oaf when he made these "you're dead" threats.

I think Kadri is also an oaf, but a harmless oaf. Kadri looks silly making these threats. He's not intimidating enough. :laugh:

"Good game. Good game. Good game. You're ****ing dead. Good game"

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
All professional leagues punish players for gestures that they consider harmful to their image.

This specific gesture, not the comment, has been banned and suspension worthy in the NBA NFL and MLB. Up to the NHL as to whether they feel the same need.

Probably a game but you never know.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
example?

who are you talking about?

worst was when John Scott blatantly goons Kessel, only Kessel and Clarkson are suspended.

But our guys have been continually suspended for borderline hits and goalie interferences in recent years - despite clean records previously, while our players and goalies have been seriously injured multiple times by borderline hits and nobody ever gets suspended for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad