OT: Nats, Wiz, O's, Ravens, Terps, Navy, Gtown, Mystics, Golf, Summer 2024 (Paris Olympics 2024 as well)

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I don’t have an issue with Tiger teeing it up for as long as he is eligible, if that’s what he wants. Plenty of guys who don’t have any chance whatsoever of contending do it and they earned the right to do it. My issue with Tiger was him talking about winning majors the last few years when there was no chance in hell that was going to happen. He has stopped talking like that recently so have no problem with him playing for the fans. He has accepted it and I’m good with him playing if that’s what he wants to do.

Nor do I, but instead he’s switched from Majors, to say something along the lines of “he still believes he can win any time he tees it up”. I’m just waiting for him on the Sr Tour where he can ride.

For now though….he’s just a sad caricature of his former self.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Nor do I, but instead he’s switched from Majors, to say something along the lines of “he still believes he can win any time he tees it up”. I’m just waiting for him on the Sr Tour where he can ride.

For now though….he’s just a sad caricature of his former self.

Should Phil quit, too?

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Should Phil quit, too?
If he was limping around a shell of himself physically, probably…..for now he’s just the oldest to win a Major….decent no? Phil is shifting into that honorary territory….Tiger well for me, it’s just very sad to watch as a fan.

+14 another cut…..depressing….can’t play enough to keep his game sharp, can’t win (or make a cut it appears) without being sharp.

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
If he was limping around a shell of himself physically, probably…..for now he’s just the oldest to win a Major….decent no? Phil is shifting into that honorary territory….Tiger well for me, it’s just very sad to watch as a fan.

+14 another cut…..depressing….can’t play enough to keep his game sharp, can’t win (or make a cut it appears) without being sharp.
I know Phil had some kind of joint issue/disease but he hasn't faced nearly the physical injuries or challenges Tiger has the last several years, and he's still not really in contention.

Both guys have 3 wins since 2013. Tiger's last was Oct 2019 and Phil's was May 2021 or close to a year and a half later.

Phil missed the cut at the US Open this year with a +15 and Tiger was +7. So basically the reverse of the British Open underway now.

If the media is going to cringe at Tiger's play they should be cringing at Phil's, too.

Personally IDGAF if they keep playing and missing cuts. It's good for the game and they've put a shitload of money in these guys pockets. INCLUDING the whiny sports media.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Let Tiger play whenever he wants. Literally.

Like Jack, Arnold, Gary, etc etc … he’s earned a lifetime exemption into any tourney, anywhere, anytime.

Does it suck he can’t do what he did? Of course! But I’m 54, and a “shell” of what I was once physically (Altho I’m in good shape, but my golf game has gotten worse, just bc)….

So I get it. But these guys can catch lightning in a bottle at almost any given time.

So let that “miracle” occur, if it can!

Reactions: VaCaps Fan and g00n

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I know Phil had some kind of joint issue/disease but he hasn't faced nearly the physical injuries or challenges Tiger has the last several years, and he's still not really in contention.

Both guys have 3 wins since 2013. Tiger's last was Oct 2019 and Phil's was May 2021 or close to a year and a half later.

Phil missed the cut at the US Open this year with a +15 and Tiger was +7. So basically the reverse of the British Open underway now.

If the media is going to cringe at Tiger's play they should be cringing at Phil's, too.

Personally IDGAF if they keep playing and missing cuts. It's good for the game and they've put a shitload of money in these guys pockets. INCLUDING the whiny sports media.

Tiger is arguably the GOAT, Phil isn’t even in the convo, plus he’s considerably older….therefor just not the same scrutiny.

I just don’t care about the whataboutism angle..to me it’s an irrelevant response because the subject is Tiger. Completely different situation. Tiger physically just can’t compete. Phil is just aging but he’s busted his ass fitness wise to stave it off as best he can. Tiger can’t even do that. Very sad.

• Haha
Reactions: VaCaps Fan and g00n

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Tiger is arguably the GOAT, Phil isn’t even in the convo, plus he’s considerably older….therefor just not the same scrutiny.

I just don’t care about the whataboutism angle..to me it’s an irrelevant response because the subject is Tiger. Completely different situation. Tiger physically just can’t compete. Phil is just aging but he’s busted his ass fitness wise to stave it off as best he can. Tiger can’t even do that. Very sad.
This is a little too "Team Phil" for me.

I think they should both keep playing, tbh.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
This is a little too "Team Phil" for me.

I think they should both keep playing, tbh.

I love Phil; I love Tiger….I don’t love the what about him angle, and yeah let them play no doubt. Both are beloved and great for the game even just in presence.

I just don’t want to hear about either winning…probably won’t happen again unless they tee it up on the Champions Tour.

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I love Phil; I love Tiger….I don’t love the what about him angle, and yeah let them play no doubt. Both are beloved and great for the game even just in presence.

I just don’t want to hear about either winning…probably won’t happen again unless they tee it up on the Champions Tour.

You don’t like Tiger talking about winning? Even now?

Is that what this is all about?

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
FWIW, I didn't notice a single limp from Tiger, and I watched every shot of his they showed *and* I was looking for it.

I think he doesn't really believe he can be competitive right now, but he's very slowly adding reps to build the endurance and the game back up. He's earned the right to do that on whatever stage he chooses.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
You don’t like Tiger talking about winning? Even now?

Is that what this is all about?

Nope…go read the Colin Montgomery comments and catch up. I personally don’t have an issue with Tiger, just sad to watch him slide like this due to physical limitations.

FWIW, I didn't notice a single limp from Tiger, and I watched every shot of his they showed *and* I was looking for it.

I think he doesn't really believe he can be competitive right now, but he's very slowly adding reps to build the endurance and the game back up. He's earned the right to do that on whatever stage he chooses.

Agreed, just doesn’t make it any less painful to watch him duff it around…

2nd time in his career to miss 3 straight Major cuts. (2015 the other).

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Nope…go read the Colin Montgomery comments and catch up. I personally don’t have an issue with Tiger, just sad to watch him slide like this due to physical limitations.

Agreed, just doesn’t make it any less painful to watch him duff it around…

2nd time in his career to miss 3 straight Major cuts. (2015 the other).
The problem is there's never a shortage of people ready to tell you you can't do something and you should just quit. When you're an underdog they outnumber people who believe in you by a WIDE margin.

The whole point of this is only Tiger has a say in when he quits, and certainly not Monty. Monty should keep his mouth shut and not watch if he doesn't want to see Tiger try to claw back.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
The problem is there's never a shortage of people ready to tell you you can't do something and you should just quit. When you're an underdog they outnumber people who believe in you by a WIDE margin.

The whole point of this is only Tiger has a say in when he quits, and certainly not Monty. Monty should keep his mouth shut and not watch if he doesn't want to see Tiger try to claw back.

Oh I think he would want to see it; just doesn’t believe it will happen…

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Justin Rose is giving me '2012 Ernie Els at Royal Lytham' vibes - he knows it might be his one last shot at greatness. But if the weather clears up like it's supposed to tomorrow, I wonder if Xander or Scottie might end up out-birdieing him. Very excited for tomorrow...

Reactions: g00n

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I like Billy right now….he looks in the zone.

Of the current top 10; Burns, Horschel, JT, Rosie would be who I’m pulling for in order…

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad