OT: Nats, Wiz, O's, Ravens, DC United: Version V

Status
Not open for further replies.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I like Schoop...but they need some more production from 2nd base in terms of OPS...but I have no idea who they would get.

They have plenty of arms to deal.

They need a lot of help at most positions in terms of OPS (using the primary starter, though LF/DH gets tricky):

C: .839 (2) with Wieters/ 14th with Joseph/Hundley
1B: .704 (AL rank: 12)
2B: .578 (15)
SS: .680 (7)
3B: .739 (9)
LF: .918 (3) (using Pearce)
CF: .810 (3)
RF: .740 (8)
DH: .883 (2) (using Cruz)

Basically, Jones, Pearce, and Cruz have carried the offense for 80% of the season. I don't see the numbers by Pearce and Cruz repeatable and sustainable going forward. It's a wonder the offense is as productive as it is (5th in the AL in OPS). Davis really needs to get going. 2012 Chris Davis would be just fine by me.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Aren't the O's interested in Jon Lester? I saw a rumor that they were talking Bundy + for him. Not sure I'd be happy with that.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I'll go ahead and say there's no chance they're trading Bundy for Lester without an extension.

Somebody like Hamels (or Sale or Darvish)? Sure. They need team control of whoever's incoming if they send Bundy out, and I can't imagine Bundy going to a division rival.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
The O's definitely kicked the tires on Lester, but all the most recent news points to them "fading" in the discussion and not being willing to deal any of their top pitching prospects.

e; New rumors saying they're "close" to a Lester trade now. Ruh roh.

Last edited:

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Gausman and Bundy aren't included reportedly. Hopefully Harvey isn't either. Not sure there's really anyone else on the farm worth fretting over.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Boston Globe

Is also reporting that the deal to the Orioles is almost done. Not sure who. Would be GREAT for the Orioles. Even if it's 2mo rental. Orioles have a huge chance this year, and they just need that top of the rotation guy.

Get it done Duquette, you don't get too many chances at the brass ring!

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Gausman and Bundy aren't included reportedly. Hopefully Harvey isn't either. Not sure there's really anyone else on the farm worth fretting over.

Some really like Eduardo Rodriguez, but he'd be worth giving up for Lester.

Rumors saying Miguel Gonzalez would also be included.

LifetimeUFA

Apr 12, 2014
Loving the way the O's are playing right now, especially with NY, Tor, and TB starting to come back

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I kinda think the Orioles are a bit of a paper tiger, even if they're playing well lately. Unless Pearce and Cruz can keep it up, Machado stays hot, and Davis reawakens, the offense really isn't all that scary. The pitching is obviously lackluster, though adding Lester would give it a huge boost. Even still, they'll need at least one other arm to step up big time. I just don't see this as a team that can win three playoff series.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Man, what is up with Gio and Straus this year.

Gio's main issue he runs his pitch count way up. Stras just has no luck. Haven't looked up but I bet his run support has not been very good this year. Stras has had a large improvement holding on runners at least. He got run on so easy last year.

Seems like the pitcher's pitchers in Roark/Fister versus the more power pitchers in Zim/Gio/Stras have had better consistency control wise.

Last edited:

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
I kinda think the Orioles are a bit of a paper tiger, even if they're playing well lately. Unless Pearce and Cruz can keep it up, Machado stays hot, and Davis reawakens, the offense really isn't all that scary. The pitching is obviously lackluster, though adding Lester would give it a huge boost. Even still, they'll need at least one other arm to step up big time. I just don't see this as a team that can win three playoff series.
Considering that Weiters is out and they have a black hole in terms of OPS at 2nd base...I wouldn't call them a paper tiger. They are a good team. The bullpen is legit and the offense is steady aside from 2nd base and Chris Davis hitting 190 whatever. They have plenty of pieces...just need another starter and Lombardozzi. Another guy in the pen wouldn't hurt.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
What do you guys think of the latest Masn/Nationals stuff the came out in the past day or so?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...7da61c-182d-11e4-9349-84d4a85be981_story.html

MLB’s arbitration panel ruled in the Nationals’ favor June 30 and hoped to settle the dispute over rights fees from the Mid-Atlantic Sports Network. But it only led to a new dispute. The Orioles believe the ruling can be vacated and want what they refer to as an “independent†review. The Nationals have filed a motion in New York’s Supreme Court against the Orioles and the Mid-Atlantic Sports Network.

The rest of baseball has no vested interest in the outcome. But the case moving into court would be “a real concern for owners,†according to a person familiar with the situation who was not authorized to speak on the matter. “It will make the commissioner very alarmed if that happens.â€

I can see both sides but hard to imagine a compromise at this point with how many years this has been going on.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I'm just curious who would have thought that'd last long. Even if the Nationals hadn't grown into what they've grown into, no one is gonna be okay just giving away money to another team because of area. I mean, Raven's don't give the Redskins money for being in the same region, though I guess CSN is a third party.

Regardless, everyone should have known at some point the Nationals would be coming for their money.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Considering that Weiters is out and they have a black hole in terms of OPS at 2nd base...I wouldn't call them a paper tiger. They are a good team. The bullpen is legit and the offense is steady aside from 2nd base and Chris Davis hitting 190 whatever. They have plenty of pieces...just need another starter and Lombardozzi. Another guy in the pen wouldn't hurt.

Weiters won't be back for the playoffs, and until they don't have a magic bullet for 2B either. There are too many holes currently in the line-up. Machado has turned around his season at 3B, but Hardy and Markakis are league-average hitters this year. Catcher, 2B, and 1B have been nothing short of awful so far. So, when you look at it, offensively they have three plus positions (DH, LF, CF), three average positions (3B, SS, RF), and three awful positions (1B, 2B, C). That's not the type of line-up that's feared in the playoffs. Even with Lester, they don't have a playoff rotation, either.

e; Apparently Harvey's injury yesterday killed the Lester talks. Don't know if that means he was part of the deal, or they decided not to trade ERod because of his injury.

LifetimeUFA

Apr 12, 2014
Great trade by Mr Moneyball, Oakland is kind of like the Blues this year trading for Miller, hoping to see a Baltimore v. Oakland ALCS

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
Weiters won't be back for the playoffs, and until they don't have a magic bullet for 2B either. There are too many holes currently in the line-up. Machado has turned around his season at 3B, but Hardy and Markakis are league-average hitters this year. Catcher, 2B, and 1B have been nothing short of awful so far. So, when you look at it, offensively they have three plus positions (DH, LF, CF), three average positions (3B, SS, RF), and three awful positions (1B, 2B, C). That's not the type of line-up that's feared in the playoffs. Even with Lester, they don't have a playoff rotation, either.

e; Apparently Harvey's injury yesterday killed the Lester talks. Don't know if that means he was part of the deal, or they decided not to trade ERod because of his injury.
Considering the MLB average BA is .252....Hardy (.273) and Markakis (.283) are above average. Not great...but not terrible or average...just steady.

Plus the defense is the best in the league...yet again.

Showalter gets the most out of what he has....thats for sure.

I just wish Davis would get out of his funk. That would change everything if he gets going like he did last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad