Nashville Predators talk - The Offseason

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
His asset is his ability to think at a high level, but he's not done much with it besides get hurt.
I personally think that his constant injury issues has him overthinking things and not playing like he should. If you always have it in the back of your head that you are gonna get hurt, you arent gonna play the way you should. Still think Glass could become a middle 6 C/W if he can regain his confidence but i fear that isnt gonna happen. Best of luck to him though.

I am not Thrilled we had to give up a third to sweeten the deal.

Price you pay when you put yourself up against the cap with RFAs to sign. Even if we manage to get Pärssinen and Tomasino at league minimum, we would need to clear space. The other option is wait around and hope someone doesnt do to you what STL did to EDM.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Not happy with giving up a third, but I’m happy that we cleared some space and didn’t unload Fabro (yet). If I had a choice between purging one of the two it’s definitely Glass. Good guy and all, but the time for proving himself was over.
Nice thing is we still have six picks in the first three rounds of next years draft.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Just over 3 million in cap and a 19 man roster. Still got Del Gaizo, Pärssinen, and Tomasino as RFAs. Del Gaizo should be cheaper than Stastney so say 800K. Leaving around 2.2 million for Pärssinen and Tomasino. Should be doable but doesn't leave much flexibility.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Tell us Pens fans a bit about Glass?
Great person and high character guy.

He can easily be a solid middle 6 guy in terms of his abilities. His ceiling would be top line.

It's not a question about his potential, but about him staying healthy enough to play and/or figuring out how to rebound from injuries better. Since he was drafted, he has been constantly getting injured and dinged. Constantly missing time, rehabbing, resetting and working to get back to square 0. It's been a total cluster for his career throughout.

He didn't fit our new direction, which is veteran heavy. He didn't seem to fit our new system, which leans into heavy pressure and constant in-your-sweater checking and away from other attributes. For a younger player who's constantly working his way back from the ice tub and trainer's table, that's not a good match. Couple that with him having a contract more than bare minimum, and he was predictably expendable. I wouldn't fault him for that; he got the contract on what he was doing at the time, but we've clearly moved in a new direction now.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Should have just bought out Glass rather than lose draft picks to move him. Of course, they didn’t know during the buyout window that they’d land the free agents they did. Still, might at least have tried him on waivers first. Oh well.

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Should have just bought out Glass rather than lose draft picks to move him. Of course, they didn’t know during the buyout window that they’d land the free agents they did. Still, might at least have tried him on waivers first. Oh well.
Nah those two picks are not worth eating more dead cap for not just this year but next as well.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
The amount saved by trading Glass rather than buying him out is enough for calling up one of the kids for about half a season when the inevitable injuries and illnesses happen.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Nah those two picks are not worth eating more dead cap for not just this year but next as well.
Agreed. It's the same thing but I look at it a bit different, we didn't dump Glass, we traded Glass, a 3rd, and a 6th for 2.5 million in cap space, Tomasino, Parsinnen, and Del Gaizo.

Without that cap space, you are missing a couple of those guys.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
I really like that trade. Like I've said, I think it's addition by substraction for our team as it creates room for Pärssinen and/or Tomasino.

Glass was a really likeable guy but honestly, I don't see him being in the league for long.

Reactions: PredsV82

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Glass is young enough to qualify for the 1/3rd buyout though, so his buyout Cap hit was only $416,667.

Anyway, like I said they didn't know they'd land all those big ticket UFAs, so it's kind of a moot point, they didn't know while the window was open that they'd be that tight on the Cap. In hindsight I'd have preferred the buyout, because we didn't need the full $2.5M saved, $2.1M would have been sufficient. Unless we see Tomasino and Parssinen sign for a lot more than I am expecting.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Agreed. It's the same thing but I look at it a bit different, we didn't dump Glass, we traded Glass, a 3rd, and a 6th for 2.5 million in cap space, Tomasino, Parsinnen, and Del Gaizo.

Without that cap space, you are missing a couple of those guys.
I guess the way I look at it, you'd only have been missing a couple of those guys temporarily, until we got an injury, which inevitably we will. Or until Glass had a good enough game that somebody felt like claiming him on waivers.

I still think we'll be "missing" Tomasino regardless, since they won't keep him around. They still might not even sign him depending on what he's asking for. Even with the extra Cap space opened up.

If anything, what this does might be more along the lines of opening up space to sign a "leftover" veteran UFA. If there's a guy out there desperate enough to take a $775k deal just to stay in the league, or guys we might want to invite on training camp tryouts, and one of them looks good, we now have room for that. Or to snatch somebody on waivers who another team sends down at the end of camp.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
So at the current 20-man roster...

2024-25 Nashville Predators

Forsberg ($8.5M) - O'Reilly ($4.5M) - Nyquist ($3.185M)
Stamkos ($8M) - Novak ($3.5M) - Marchessault ($5.5M)
xxx - Sissons ($2.857M) - Evangelista ($0.7975M)
Jankowski ($0.800M) - McCarron ($0.900M) - Smith ($1M)
yyy

Skjei ($7M) - Josi ($9.059M)
Lauzon ($2M) - Carrier ($3.75M)
Stastney ($0.825M) - Fabbro ($2.5M)
zzz - Schenn ($2.75M)

Saros ($5M)
Wedgewood ($1.5M)

Ekholm retention: $0.250M
Johansen retention: $4M
Turris Buyout: $2M
Duchene Buyout: $5.5556M

TOTAL: $85.7291M
2024-25 NHL Cap: $88M
REMAINING CAP SPACE: $2.2709M

... it's a hair under being able to go to a 23-man roster with 3 additional players at $775k (e.g. Parssinen, Tomasino, Del Gaizo), but Stastney is waiver exempt in that mix, so it's doable to keep those 3 on the big roster if you send him down.

Personally, I would not be going the route of signing any leftover veteran UFAs, but there are a few guys out there who might take a league minimum deal for 1-year just to stay in the league. If you signed Tyler Johnson and Justin Schultz for $775k each, assuming the team is firing Tomasino into the Sun regardless, then you could ice:

2024-25 Nashville Predators

Forsberg ($8.5M) - O'Reilly ($4.5M) - Nyquist ($3.185M)
Stamkos ($8M) - Novak ($3.5M) - Marchessault ($5.5M)
Johnson (UFA - $775k) - Sissons ($2.857M) - Evangelista ($0.7975M)
Jankowski ($0.800M) - McCarron ($0.900M) - Smith ($1M)
Parssinen (RFA - $0.775k)

Josi ($9.059M) - Fabbro ($2.5M)
Skjei ($7M) - Carrier ($3.75M)
Lauzon ($2M) - Schultz (UFA - $0.775k)
Schenn ($2.75M)

Saros ($5M)
Wedgewood ($1.5M)

Ekholm retention: $0.250M
Johansen retention: $4M
Turris Buyout: $2M
Duchene Buyout: $5.5556M

TOTAL: $87.2291M
2024-25 NHL Cap: $88M
REMAINING CAP SPACE: $0.7709M

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
I guess the way I look at it, you'd only have been missing a couple of those guys temporarily, until we got an injury, which inevitably we will. Or until Glass had a good enough game that somebody felt like claiming him on waivers.

I still think we'll be "missing" Tomasino regardless, since they won't keep him around. They still might not even sign him depending on what he's asking for. Even with the extra Cap space opened up.

If anything, what this does might be more along the lines of opening up space to sign a "leftover" veteran UFA. If there's a guy out there desperate enough to take a $775k deal just to stay in the league, or guys we might want to invite on training camp tryouts, and one of them looks good, we now have room for that. Or to snatch somebody on waivers who another team sends down at the end of camp.
I think we'll use the money are Parssinen.

We'll play hard ball with Tomasino and cut him. Coach has already telegraphed it.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Friedman reporting he thinks we’re considering moving Askarov still and that Askarov has said he wants to play in the NHL this season either with us or elsewhere.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Friedman reporting he thinks we’re considering moving Askarov still and that Askarov has said he wants to play in the NHL this season either with us or elsewhere.
We have saros under contract for another 9 seasons. We would be silly not to contemplate any available trades. Doesnt mean itll happen but you gotta listen

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Well, we're not a team that is going with a youth movement in the short term, nor are we going to bench Saros immediately after handing him that contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad