Nashville Predators talk - The Offseason

David Singleton

Jun 23, 2005
Dickson, TN
Now, lets talk about using the LTIR and roster manipulation. Let's say Saros were to come to coach's office and goes:

"*cough* I think I got the Vegas Flu. *cough* I need 6 weeks off... in Cancun."

Placing someone onto LTIR is typically not that easy. The League verifies that there is a legitimate injury or illness directly.

Coming off of LTIR is where things get more fuzzy (and where any potential perceptions of abuse would typically get floated). Phrases like "abundance of caution" are mentioned when teams project a player's return from an injury.

I'm going through physical therapy sessions now with a lower back issue and, while the x-ray show arthritis and whatever else, there's still a lot "how does it feel"-type of questions to determine how long the physical therapy sessions will go on (or whether further imaging is necessary, etc.).

With injuries incurred by professional athletes, it's easy to see how stretching the rehab for these athletes can be justified (and be right) even if it also benefits the team from a cap situation.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I don't think we really need to jump through any big crazy hoops to be Cap compliant for the coming season. We also don't need to rely on any injuries. All we really need to do is run a 21-man roster and waive Glass.

If Glass doesn't get claimed, we'll be stuck with $1.35M on his buried hit, but that's ok, we will still be fine on the Cap. If he does get claimed and we lose his whole Cap hit then we're totally fine and can bring back the spares.

Below I've assumed we ditch Tomasino one way or another, and that the team would rather carry a spare D - it could be Stastney or Del Gaizo, than a spare F. I just listed Del Gaizo on the basis of Stastney being waiver exempt, but either would fit, and I don't really think Del Gaizo would be claimed if we did waive him, so the 7th D can be either one of them, it doesn't cause us any issue either way.

2024-25 Nashville Predators

Forsberg ($8.5M) - O'Reilly ($4.5M) - Nyquist ($3.185M)
Stamkos ($8M) - Novak ($3.5M) - Marchessault ($5.5M)
Evangelista ($0.7975M) - Sissons ($2.857M) - Parssinen (RFA - $0.775M)
Jankowski ($0.800M) - McCarron ($0.900M) - Smith ($1M)

Skjei ($7M) - Josi ($9.059M)
Lauzon ($2M) - Carrier ($3.75M)
Schenn ($2.75M) - Fabbro ($2.5M)
Del Gaizo (RFA - $0.775M)

Saros ($5M)
Wedgewood ($1.5M)

Glass buried Cap hit $1.35M ($2.5M-$1.15M)
Ekholm retention: $0.250M
Johansen retention: $4M
Turris Buyout: $2M
Duchene Buyout: $5.5556M

TOTAL: $87,8041M
2024-25 NHL Cap: $88M
REMAINING CAP SPACE: $0.1959M

Anyway, with this in mind, there really isn't any pressure on Trotz. He knows he can do this and not be stuck. If an injury comes up, he may not have to do even this, but nobody has him over any barrel, and he doesn't have to pay any negative-value fee to bribe any team to help him out.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Well STL has offersheeted Broberg and Holloway from EDM. If EDM doesnt match, theyll get a 2nd and a 3rd.

We should probably hurry up and figure out Pärssinen and Tomasino because we honestly couldnt match much of anything without putting ourselves in a cap bind

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Well STL has offersheeted Broberg and Holloway from EDM. If EDM doesnt match, theyll get a 2nd and a 3rd.

We should probably hurry up and figure out Pärssinen and Tomasino because we honestly couldnt match much of anything without putting ourselves in a cap bind
I'm sure we wouldn't match anything on them anyway.

I do like it anytime NHL teams try to challenge the status quo by going the offersheet route. The Blues have some Cap space, so why not use it. Those might be absolutely ludicrous salaries for Holloway and Broberg by the standards of their NHL accomplishments to date. But I guess if the Blues are ready to pay a 2nd+3rd+salary_overpay to get those guys, more power to them. It adds entertainment value to the league.

I'll tell the Blues this: Tomasino/Glass and Fabbro are much better players than Holloway and Broberg. You didn't have to go that far... we'd have very cheerfully taken the 2nd+3rd and you could have saved $$$. But you do you. It's fun to see.

Reactions: Scoresberg

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Especially considering the caliber of the Edmonton defense. It's not like he was a scratch on a team that was just insanely loaded on D.
He's been on my radar as someone that could be a smart buy low (in terms of trade cost) guy for a while now. Blues betting that Broberg is about to blossom, as teased in playoffs. He might not, but the compensation to Oil isn't high cost for that bet (and Blues have the cap space). It's only 2 years too, so if he doesn't blossom it's not huge outlay. I love this for Blues (and league, bc offer sheets are fun). With his size, skating, defensive play, he seems like good bet that even if he isn't worth $ he will at least be a guy who is better than Blues other LHD options after Leddy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scoresberg

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Gotta agree that Broberg is on the cusp of breaking out and Edmonton finds itself in a bad position with the LHD for the long term as he is really their only decent LHD prospect. Ekholm hits 35 this season and Nurse is an overpaid 2nd pairing LHD. They now dont have anyone lined up to take over Ekholm's role when his contract expires so theyll have to go shopping

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
FWIW Broberg's underlying numbers in the playoffs were pretty awful despite the good +/- and point totals. I know he has the draft pedigree too but I'd bet Broberg ends up being much closer to the guy who couldn't get in the lineup the last two seasons than the guy on the cusp of a breakout he appeared to be in the playoffs. That being said I also can understand why the Blues would be willing to take that risk with where they stand now.

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
With the Oiler's Cap, Hit them now when they are unable to do alot with it. Especially if the other team has Cap space and needs those positions filled and likes those players. Make the Oilers pay to keep them. Will cause some Negativity when they meet if the offer sheets go through!

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Looks like we probably paid to get out of that one if the ECHL comments are accurate. I have no knowledge of Jordan Frasca.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
He would seem to make strides but it wouldn’t result in actual numbers then he’d get hurt. Rinse and repeat.
Cool. Any notes on speed and physicality?

Looks to make progress
Gets hurt
Comes back and plays timid
Starts hitting a stride
Gets hurt
Repeat
He'll fit right in on Pittsburgh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad