Nashville Predators talk - The Offseason

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Wet fart of an offseason is on track.

"We were close on a few big names, but really excited to have Alex, Zucks, and Tony [Beauvillier] back. These are strong character guys that are familiar with Bruno and the system and can help us realize our long-term vision for Preds hockey. We also think it will open some good competition for lineup spots with some of the young guys out of Milwaukee."
I'm laughing just so I don't cry.

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
Wet fart of an offseason is on track.

"We were close on a few big names, but really excited to have Alex, Zucks, and Tony [Beauvillier] back. These are strong character guys that are familiar with Bruno and the system and can help us realize our long-term vision for Preds hockey. We also think it will open some good competition for lineup spots with some of the young guys out of Milwaukee."

So True Y'all! (For those who have seen the It's a Southern Thing videos)

Reactions: Dadof5boys

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
I wouldn't have wanted Carrier back either but considering the lack of RHD depth in the organization and a guy we wanted in Pesce choosing to go elsewhere, I get it.

At the right price, he's fine as a 3rd pairing D and at times I really liked the Lauzon-Carrier pairing last year.

--

In other news, it does sound like Trouba is on the outs from NY. In addition to signing Skjei, I would seriously consider going after him. His contract runs only for two more years so it's not a risk. NYR would also pay a price for us to take him on.

This defense wouldn't look too shabby:

Josi - Trouba
Skjei - X
Lauzon - Carrier
Schenn

I am counting Fabbro out.

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
@Dadof5boys i agree. Make a 3 year run with this group add what we need too. Most of our young talent is 5 years away from peak. So if we tank for those 2 years, okay.
This is what should really happen. No more half-assing it.

Though Trotz has dug himself a hole here, he has that three-year window to make this team competitive but for example next year we're paying players $11 mil not to play for us. That's huge hole in the roster.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
As I said in the other thread, if the team direction was "Go for it now", that's the best FA period you can hope for. It's clear Trotz wants to build a contender that has a three year window starting now to get this thing done. We're still a top 4 D and a middle six center away from an "ideal" win-now roster, but that may change with 6M in cap space left and Asky, Glass, Fabbro, Tomasino, etc still available to be moved.

Even with all of these additions, the key is we didn't give away any of our prospects and did/will have multiple early picks in the drafts from 2022-2025. It almost feels like Trotz gave up on this latest class of young guns that would have created a window in 2026-2028 and said "Screw it, 2024-2027 window, then we'll see if these guys like Molendyk, Kemmel, Wood, Asky, L'H, Svechkov, etc etc can open another in 2030"

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
With the additions, we have the proper high talent forward depth to spread around and properly insulate/teach young players. I hope we continue to bring young players up as possible but this will keep the Jankowski/smith type players off the 2nd line

Reactions: PredsV82

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Loving what Nashville is doing AGAIN! Another great offseason, so far. You've got three young forwards pushing for a spot next season, so there is an organic, cost-controlled youth infusion coming soon. Draft capital is banked. Dead cap death numbers will fall off soon. A lot to like in Preds Land!! Your pipeline is way better than the Stars', so the Preds should be able to weather the upcoming age polarization on your roster better than the Stars have.

Just my quick assessment of a division rival that I really like!! In a coupla years, the Blues will be right there with ya.

Best of luck!

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
I actually wouldn't hate seeing what Glass could do at 3C if he can stay healthy but I wouldn't blame them for looking elsewhere.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
Marchessault could be the only deal that doesn't age very poorly, but then again, the plan clearly is to be truly competitive the next 3-5 years and the tail end of those new deals are the price we're paying to make it happen.

There's a naive fan in me that I guess is just excited to have Stamkos in gold, so I probably need to listen to TBL fans telling us he's already overpaid and tone down the expectations :laugh:

I hope Skjei is better than I had thought, because I wasn't expecting 7x7.

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
Marchessault could be the only deal that doesn't age very poorly, but then again, the plan clearly is to be truly competitive the next 3-5 years and the tail end of those new deals are the price we're paying to make it happen.

There's a naive fan in me that I guess is just excited to have Stamkos in gold, so I probably need to listen to TBL fans telling us he's already overpaid and tone down the expectations :laugh:

I hope Skjei is better than I had thought, because I wasn't expecting 7x7.
Whether or not the Preds win the SC is moot to me. I mean i want them too! I am just glad to finally see some major moves and to bring in some major players instead of just safe guys to fit or fill a hole. The last two years of bringing in players has been nothing short of fantastic and a welcome change to the same old Preds way. ROR, Steven "Freaken" Stamkos, Jonathan Marchessault, Brady Skjei and Gus in the last two years! Now if FF9, Josi and the Juuse can play like the way we know he can, this can be a very exciting team!

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Do you know if yesterday was just Brady ‘that’s a no’, Marchy, and Wedgewood, that would’ve been a good day. Throwing Stamkos top was wow just a new level of outrageousness

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
You have to imagine we are going to market the heck out of Stamkos being here. I'm sure our PR/marketing/social media/etc teams are thrilled about this and we'll be seeing his face everywhere.

The only day I can think of that compares from an excitement perspective was the Forsberg trade. I *never* thought we'd actually pull that off. This is more impactful long term, but that felt like a fever dream come true.

Reactions: PredsV82

nullednumbed

Jun 27, 2022
You have to imagine we are going to market the heck out of Stamkos being here. I'm sure our PR/marketing/social media/etc teams are thrilled about this and we'll be seeing his face everywhere.

The only day I can think of that compares from an excitement perspective was the Forsberg trade. I *never* thought we'd actually pull that off. This is more impactful long term, but that felt like a fever dream come true.
When Kariya was announced that he was signing here, that was a big day. I still remember where I was when I heard the news on the radio.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad