Nashville Predators talk - The offseason.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

JD86

Feb 29, 2024
Im gonna wait and see what happens between now and July 2nd to get a better idea of what this roster is going to look like. Alot can happen after that buti cant wait that long to start forming an opinion.
I don't think there's really any chance at all that they're going into next year as an appreciably younger team. That's completely off the table based on the behavior of Trotz/Brunette over the last 12 months, in my opinion.

There is a scenario where they're still old, but possibly improve, but It won't be easy. McDonagh was actually really, really good last year after struggling with Hynes. Now they have to replace him just to be back at square one. Not one single young player made any noteworthy improvement at the NHL level last year and plenty of old guys stayed healthy and had career years, or close to it. But there are some very good players available, so maybe we'll see some big additions.

I'm not optimistic at all, but I'd be very happy to be wrong.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
1000007375.png

JD86

Feb 29, 2024
I guess I'd be in favor of Ross Colton if it meant they'd move the Colton they already have. Otherwise, they're pretty similar in terms of the roster spot they'd fill. Ross doesn't PK, but it's not like Sissons has been great on the PK the past couple of years anyway.

They really just need an actual quality top 6 center so Sissons doesn't play nearly 17 minutes a game.

Stephenson is kind of interesting. He was fantastic in their cup year, but outside of that, he's mostly been horrible in the postseason. (19 points in 73 playoff games outside of 22-23). He's definitely good in the regular season, although last year wasn't too hot.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Well, this is an acquisition I could get behind. Really like Colton's game and I do believe that as a late-bloomer, there's still some upside to his game.

Colton would help solidify our middle-6 depth. I like that he has just 3 years left, so you're getting a guy who is going to be 28-29-30, still in his prime for those 3 years also. But it's a trade, so.... what's the trade price, that's the question I have.

Not entirely sure why Colorado would want to move him, however? They have Landeskog and Nichushkin LTIRable so wouldn't seem to need the Cap space? :dunno:

I don't think there's really any chance at all that they're going into next year as an appreciably younger team. That's completely off the table based on the behavior of Trotz/Brunette over the last 12 months, in my opinion.

There is a scenario where they're still old, but possibly improve, but It won't be easy. McDonagh was actually really, really good last year after struggling with Hynes. Now they have to replace him just to be back at square one. Not one single young player made any noteworthy improvement at the NHL level last year and plenty of old guys stayed healthy and had career years, or close to it. But there are some very good players available, so maybe we'll see some big additions.

I'm not optimistic at all, but I'd be very happy to be wrong.
I guess we could say that on the flip side for individual player performances, while the older 1st line guys had big years, Saros did not. If Saros went back to his form of the previous few seasons, it might make up for the 1st line coming back down to earth. :dunno:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
It's kind of too bad we couldn't have gotten something for him at the trade deadline. People may say, oh but no, we were competing for a playoff spot... except... we also had Fabbro/Barrie healthy scratched and Stastney waiting in the wings, so it's not like we actually truly NEEDED Carrier out there. We had bodies on hand on D. Oh well.

Reactions: Armourboy

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I'm interested to see what he gets if he goes elsewhere. I feel like it's going to be a Granlund situation where the market he hopes for isn't there.

As far as Colton goes I don't mind it I guess, but I also think Parsinnen could be equally effective in that role with a bit higher upside and a cheaper contract.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
I'm interested to see what he gets if he goes elsewhere. I feel like it's going to be a Granlund situation where the market he hopes for isn't there.

As far as Colton goes I don't mind it I guess, but I also think Parsinnen could be equally effective in that role with a bit higher upside and a cheaper contract.
+1. Tough to get excited about middle six forwards when I think we're flush with comparable players in the AHL. I'd rather see us pour money and assets into defense if we aren't going to get a real gamebreaker (and very few are available, thinking guys like Zegras/Necas/Reinhart/Marner)

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Suter was out of gas the last few years in Dallas, ignoring how he left adding a 40 year old to our top 4 would be a bad move.

Maybe as a no. 7 for nostalgia sakes but still...wouldn't want him.

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
Dallas is buying out Ryan Suter and there's speculation that Trotz could sign him to replace McDonough. THAT would go over well here. :laugh:
Sure...Like a bull in a china shop! They guy is pushing 40! Played 82 games each of last two years and had 25 points in one and 14 last year! We already have guys in Milwaukee that can do that!

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
No to Colton. He’s more of the same middling player we already have. If we’re not bringing in top 6 talent then don’t bother. That’s a player that would block a young kids spot more than any of the top 6 talent being discussed around here.
You look to develop guys like Colton (or Jeannot or Trenin) and then cash out on them when they look to get paid more than a standard plug. Then you wave goodbye and work on making a new one. They shouldn't be targets unless you just happen to get a really great deal on one.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
More of the same, retreads and bottom 6 guys that we can replace for cheaper with OUR OWN PROSPECTS! Just rip the bandaid off and let us truly suck. We might hit the lottery then....
...and never leave, because overplaying the kids and having no backup plan when things go badly is what hamstrings development such that they never actually can take you to that next level.

PredsV82

Mushy Middle Forever
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
It's kind of too bad we couldn't have gotten something for him at the trade deadline. People may say, oh but no, we were competing for a playoff spot... except... we also had Fabbro/Barrie healthy scratched and Stastney waiting in the wings, so it's not like we actually truly NEEDED Carrier out there. We had bodies on hand on D. Oh well.
I’d bet if the right offer was made he’d be gone

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
...and never leave, because overplaying the kids and having no backup plan when things go badly is what hamstrings development such that they never actually can take you to that next level.
I know you are gun shy because of the crap team Columbus has been, but at a certain point you gotta play some of the younger guys, otherwise what the hell are you drafting them for? You can't wait til they are all 28 to start playing them.

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad