Nashville Predators talk - The Offseason

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Listen, the notion that Brunette prefers seasoned vets doesn't match up. Regardless of age, Sherwood, Jankowski, Novak, McCarron, Smith, Glass and Evangelista are all inexperienced as far as the NHL goes. To me, if he trust you, you get in. Work hard, prove your worth and he'll play you, don't, he won't.

I think we have as many as 4 open spots at forward, so I'd almost bet we're going to see half of those go to young guys. I think we have 3 open spots on defense, with 1 or 2 of those going to young guys.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I would not be a fan of the team signing Montour. He has grown into a good player, but he's already 30, and I just don't know that his recent success with the Panthers is sustainable if he moves elsewhere. If you're looking at a 7x$7.5M+ type of contract for him, anyway... I would steer clear.

Too bad we didn't just keep Ekholm. :(

Stephenson would be alright for a year or two, we've already talking about him a lot here... just, it's another 30-year old who probably can't sustain his recent numbers for very much longer either.

I guess that's why I don't mind "overspending" on stay-at-home D like Pesce or Zadorov as much... the value in their games isn't in terms of production or being able to play in the offensive zone, they can lose a step even and still potentially be effective in their own zone, which is what we need atm. :dunno:

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
We have to spend some money, we're not even at the cap floor right now.
@Porter Stoutheart, while I love Ekholm, I'm pretty sure Moulendyk was worth the trade given where we are.
We are just 3.4 million under the cap floor. Extensions to Pärssinen, Tomasino, Stastney, and Del Gaizo would get us most the way there. Bringing up Askarov and then a pressbox player or two like Dolan and Gravel would tip up over it.

Technically could stand where we are at

Lug

Jul 3, 2013
Chapel Hill,TN
We are just 3.4 million under the cap floor. Extensions to Pärssinen, Tomasino, Stastney, and Del Gaizo would get us most the way there. Bringing up Askarov and then a pressbox player or two like Dolan and Gravel would tip up over it.

Technically could stand where we are at
I really do hope we do something way different then just that.

Reactions: hockey diva

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
I would not be a fan of the team signing Montour. He has grown into a good player, but he's already 30, and I just don't know that his recent success with the Panthers is sustainable if he moves elsewhere. If you're looking at a 7x$7.5M+ type of contract for him, anyway... I would steer clear.

Too bad we didn't just keep Ekholm. :(

Stephenson would be alright for a year or two, we've already talking about him a lot here... just, it's another 30-year old who probably can't sustain his recent numbers for very much longer either.

I guess that's why I don't mind "overspending" on stay-at-home D like Pesce or Zadorov as much... the value in their games isn't in terms of production or being able to play in the offensive zone, they can lose a step even and still potentially be effective in their own zone, which is what we need atm. :dunno:
I'm pretty sure Zadorov is going to Detroit and Pesce is going to New Jersey.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Would any Preds fans be interested in Chychrun? And if so, what are y'alls offers? Also do y'all want to re-sign Carrier or nah?
I would take Chychrun on our team... but certainly not at the trade price the Sens would be looking for. We definitely need to shop the UFA market first. We don't have enough depth to be making trades.

I hope we don't sign Carrier. I'm optimistic that since it's already June 27th, there is no contract forthcoming for him. If somehow we strike out completely on the UFA market, well, our D is horrifically thin at the moment, so I'd take him back on something like a 1-year $2.5M deal, just as a band-aid until we can try to replace him again next year, but presumably somebody out there will give him a better deal than that and we won't have to worry about that.

Reactions: Scoresberg

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
We have to spend some money, we're not even at the cap floor right now.
@Porter Stoutheart, while I love Ekholm, I'm pretty sure Moulendyk was worth the trade given where we are.
Everybody loves Molendyk, for sure, but it's just a little sad that Ekholm just had possibly his best or 2nd best season, and here we are talking about paying $6M to inferior players on contracts which will take them into their late 30s also.

Maybe there are other ways we could have snagged Molendyk, for example. (E.g. trading down the Wood pick, etc). Oh well. Water under the bridge now. :(

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I would take Chychrun on our team... but certainly not at the trade price the Sens would be looking for. We definitely need to shop the UFA market first. We don't have enough depth to be making trades.

I hope we don't sign Carrier. I'm optimistic that since it's already June 27th, there is no contract forthcoming for him. If somehow we strike out completely on the UFA market, well, our D is horrifically thin at the moment, so I'd take him back on something like a 1-year $2.5M deal, just as a band-aid until we can try to replace him again next year, but presumably somebody out there will give him a better deal than that and we won't have to worry about that.

Everybody loves Molendyk, for sure, but it's just a little sad that Ekholm just had possibly his best or 2nd best season, and here we are talking about paying $6M to inferior players on contracts which will take them into their late 30s also.

Maybe there are other ways we could have snagged Molendyk, for example. (E.g. trading down the Wood pick, etc). Oh well. Water under the bridge now. :(
An what's the issue with Carrier? What's the highest you'd go for Chychrun. Like if the Sens get like Fabbro and 1st for Chychrun I'd be happy, but I can totally see why Preds wouldn't want to do that. But honestly Fabbro + for Chychrun seems like a good deal for both sides depending on the + ngl.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
An what's the issue with Carrier? What's the highest you'd go for Chychrun. Like if the Sens get like Fabbro and 1st for Chychrun I'd be happy, but I can totally see why Preds wouldn't want to do that. But honestly Fabbro + for Chychrun seems like a good deal for both sides depending on the + ngl.
I wouldn't trade a 1st for Chychrun, he's a 1-year rental, or will take a huge contract to extend. I'd rather just try to sign a UFA D instead. So the highest I'd go is like just Fabbro! Or Fabbro + nothing-that-has-value-to-us (like Glass or Tomasino). Sorry. Not saying that's fair, it's just the timing atm.

Carrier is too soft for me, he has been overutilized here, he has a good habit of falling down or screening the goalie or not taking his man in front of the net, and doesn't really have any standout strengths. He's probably ok if he's just sort of a 3rd-pair placeholder D, but unfortunately we've been giving him a bigger role than that, and I just don't think he brings enough to the table to justify that much icetime. Or the contract that would go along with it.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I wouldn't trade a 1st for Chychrun, he's a 1-year rental, or will take a huge contract to extend. I'd rather just try to sign a UFA D instead. So the highest I'd go is like just Fabbro! Or Fabbro + nothing-that-has-value-to-us (like Glass or Tomasino). Sorry. Not saying that's fair, it's just the timing atm.
tbh I'd do Fabbro Tomasino and like a mid round pick for Chychrun. I'm still pissed Sens didn't draft Tomasino when they had the chance in 2019. I've always held him in high regards. But anyways, how come the board here doesn't seem very high on Carrier?

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
tbh I'd do Fabbro Tomasino and like a mid round pick for Chychrun. I'm still pissed Sens didn't draft Tomasino when they had the chance in 2019. I've always held him in high regards. But anyways, how come the board here doesn't seem very high on Carrier?
I do hope Carrier gets a nice contract from somebody as a free agent. He has been a good organizational guy for a lot of years at low pay. He has earned his chance to make bank. I definitely like Fabbro better, though. So part of my dissatisfaction with Carrier may be that the organization has been playing Carrier above Fabbro the last couple seasons, which I think is wrong. Not that either of them are very special. Our D needs to be bigger and stronger in general, so there isn't really room for both of them in the lineup IMHO.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
WRT Chychrun - interest? Yes

How interested? Tomasino, Lauzon, and a midround pick max.

Josi - Fabbro
Chychrun - UFA
Stastney - Schenn

Fabbro gone at end of season
Stastney moves to right side and slots with Josi or Josi goes to offhand and slots with Chychrun moving Stastney to 2nd pair with the UFA. Molendyk to 3rd pair

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
WRT Chychrun - interest? Yes

How interested? Tomasino, Lauzon, and a midround pick max.

Josi - Fabbro
Chychrun - UFA
Stastney - Schenn

Fabbro gone at end of season
Stastney moves to right side and slots with Josi or Josi goes to offhand and slots with Chychrun moving Stastney to 2nd pair with the UFA. Molendyk to 3rd pair
Hmm would you do Fabbro instead of Lauzon?

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Alright so here are some quick hits.

I believe Cody Glass is being shopped. Not sure if anyone will bite, but I don't believe he will be a Pred going into next year.

I believe Stephenson is the backup plan to Stamkos. There's smoke there.

Montour is a guy I really wonder about. Played for HCAB in Florida and fits in to his system. I'm hearing he won't be back in Florida and is looking for north of $6M. Would be sick to have Josi on the first pair and Montour on the second pair.

I really think Saros is back for 6-8 years with a AAV of $8M.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Askarov and Tomasino packed together in a deal. I haven't heard anything about that, but I really do feel like it could happen. Most likely to move up in the draft and get a true game changer up front.

Zucker is most likely coming back. No idea what the AAV will be.

I think there is a lot of smoke around Skeji.

Going to guess next year will be.

Forsberg O'Reilly Nyquist
Stephenson Novak Evangelista
Janko Sissons Zucker
Smith Parssinen McCarron

Josi Fabbro
Skeji Montour
Statsney Schenn
Lauzon

Saros
X
That looks a whole lot like a bubble team with an injury to Forberg away from not even being that.

JD86

Feb 29, 2024
Checking out the cap situation and thought this was sort of interesting: Preds have about 12 million in dead cap this season and 26 million in cap space. They're way under the cap floor in terms of actual dollars currently spent on the roster.

Also, I really hate that they're both an old team and still very much stuck in the "mushy middle" to use Trotz' terms.

Reactions: Scoresberg

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Checking out the cap situation and thought this was sort of interesting: Preds have about 12 million in dead cap this season and 26 million in cap space. They're way under the cap floor in terms of actual dollars currently spent on the roster.

Also, I really hate that they're both an old team and still very much stuck in the "mushy middle" to use Trotz' terms.
Im gonna wait and see what happens between now and July 2nd to get a better idea of what this roster is going to look like. Alot can happen after that buti cant wait that long to start forming an opinion.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad