Nashville Predators talk - The offseason.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
Current Off-season prediction:
  1. Askarov is dealt, Saros is re-signed. I'm guessing either moving up to the top 5 in the draft or for a young player. In my dreams, it's Askarov for a Zegras/Necas type with whatever else is needed to balance it.
  2. 22 is not our only first round pick. We either trade up or get a 2nd pick.
  3. We bring two big names through FA of trades making at least 7M AAV. One is likely a F, one is likely a D. For the sake of fun predictions I'll go Necas and Skjei, but could see it being anything from a McD style "take an overpaid guy for free" to a FA splash like Reinhart or Stamkos.
  4. We sign Tyler Myers. I feel really, really confident about this one.
  5. At least one, if not more, of our bubble forwards are traded for bubble defensemen

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Pesce, Zadorov, Skjei are at the top of the list for D candidates for us hopefully. Ideally I want 2 of them.

If we only get 1, then I still want another bigger D as a consolation prize. I guess that would come down to:
Tanev, Dillon?

.... not sure there's any point going lower... some of the bottom-pair types might be nearly finished, guys like Cole, Hakanpaa, Kulikov, we might as well just take our lumps with a younger/smaller guy at that point. :dunno:

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
Pesce, Zadorov, Skjei are at the top of the list for D candidates for us hopefully. Ideally I want 2 of them.

If we only get 1, then I still want another bigger D as a consolation prize. I guess that would come down to:
Tanev, Dillon?

.... not sure there's any point going lower... some of the bottom-pair types might be nearly finished, guys like Cole, Hakanpaa, Kulikov, we might as well just take our lumps with a younger/smaller guy at that point. :dunno:
I think we bring in one premier D (a Montour/Pesce/Zad/Skjei type) and one 2/3rd pairing guy like Myers. I would be surprised if we bring in two premier guys at, say, 15M combined for the next 4-6 years, but Trotz has surprised me before.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I think we bring in one premier D (a Montour/Pesce/Zad/Skjei type) and one 2/3rd pairing guy like Myers. I would be surprised if we bring in two premier guys at, say, 15M combined for the next 4-6 years, but Trotz has surprised me before.
I would definitely cap Pesce+Zadorov at $12M... and be worried that neither of them is "premier" by any stretch and that I'll kick myself for handing out those contracts as early as November. But I'd still do it. $15M is just not on the table... there's only so much insane overpayment that we should be willing to stomach. :dunno:

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
My predictions:

1) we trade saros no clue what we are going for in return
2) we backfill saros with someone like Samsanov, Talbot, Elvis, or Jarry.
3) Tomasino is traded for a young RD like Barron or packaged with a later pick to acquire another 1st round pick.
4) We get a vet RHD like Pesce or Roy that can pair with Josi so that Fabbro can spend the season on the 2nd pair or pressbox
5) We go after Zadorov and trade lauzon
6) we also go after a high impact forward like Guentzel, Stamkos, or Reinhart via free agency
7) Im 50/50 on Novak being back next season. Maybe part of a trade for Necas.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I would definitely cap Pesce+Zadorov at $12M... and be worried that neither of them is "premier" by any stretch and that I'll kick myself for handing out those contracts as early as November. But I'd still do it. $15M is just not on the table... there's only so much insane overpayment that we should be willing to stomach. :dunno:
Yeah I don't think there are really any truly "premier" defenseman on the market. Pesce was at one point a bonafide top pairing D so maybe he can get back to that. Zadorov played like a top pairing D this playoff run but that was out of the norm for him and he's for the most part been a middle pairing guy. Maybe this was the turning point of his career but I'd bet money he's more of a second pair type moving forward. That being said I'd be willing to overpay him just because we don't have anyone like him in our system.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
From Lebrun: LeBrun rumblings: Tulsky on Necas trade market, offer sheets and Guentzel — plus latest on Tanev, Kane, more

• One team to keep an eye on if Skjei and/or Pesce go to market is the Nashville Predators. They need to replace Ryan McDonagh, and I believe they would inquire and try to sign one of those two Carolina D if they go to market.
  • The Predators also want to find some offensive pop up front. I believe they have interest in the likes of Steven Stamkos and Chandler Stevenson, if those pending UFAs hit the market, among several other forward targets.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
My predictions:

1) we trade saros no clue what we are going for in return
2) we backfill saros with someone like Samsanov, Talbot, Elvis, or Jarry.
3) Tomasino is traded for a young RD like Barron or packaged with a later pick to acquire another 1st round pick.
4) We get a vet RHD like Pesce or Roy that can pair with Josi so that Fabbro can spend the season on the 2nd pair or pressbox
5) We go after Zadorov and trade lauzon
6) we also go after a high impact forward like Guentzel, Stamkos, or Reinhart via free agency
7) Im 50/50 on Novak being back next season. Maybe part of a trade for Necas.
Well, I do see us going after Pesce or Zadorov (but not getting both), trading Tomasino (but we won't get anything useful for him), and pressboxing Fabbro.

But after failing to get 2 good D, and after Carrier sees that nobody else loves him as much as we do, we'll just end up taking Carrier back.

In goal, Lankinen won't get a multi-year offer from anybody, so he'll just come back here on a 1-year deal.

Past that, we'll end up picking up a couple of mediocre forwards like Zucker or Foegele, or more glorious veteran depth forwards like Clutterbuck or Martin.

We'll trade our 2024 4th and 7th round draft picks for 2025 picks.

I am not optimistic. :help:

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
When it comes to Stamkos I believe it when I see it. I haven't dug any deeper on the case, but somehow I find it unlikely he's not playing in Tampa. Are there any true indicators that he wouldn't?

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
My predictions (not necessarily my preferred route) are:

1. We try for some of the premier offensive UFAs/trades and hear a lot of smoke but once again the price is too high for Trotz.

2. We sign Stephenson ($6M x 5 years), Sean Walker ($5M x 4 years), a vet defenseman like Myers ($3M x 2 years), another depth forward such as Zucker or Martinook ($2.5M x 2 years), and some random tweener for organizational depth.

4. Saros re-signs for something like $7.5M x 8 years with an NTC. We grab Lankinen or another depth goalie on a 1 year deal to backup Saros this year.

5. We package some picks or younger guys who've fallen out of favor (Tomasino/Fabbro/Glass) to grab another late 1st round pick and/or move up in the 1st

Opening night roster is:

Forsberg-O'Reilly-Nyquist
Novak-Stephenson-Evangelista
Martinook-Sissons-Glass
Smith-Parsinnen-Jankowski/McCarron/tweener

Josi-Walker
Lauzon-Myers
Schenn-Stastney
Fabbro

Saros
UFA Goalie

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
If we gave up our 1st and maybe one of our one-the-outs guys like Glass or Tomasino for Necas, that'd be alright. If the latest rumormill of a team giving up a 1st for Necas is on the mark anyway. (Except, our #22 is probably a lot lower than whatever is actually going on).

It doesn't sound like Necas is really the kind of player we need, outside of him just basically having more skill than anybody but Forsberg for us. But flip side, even if he's kind of just the next Duchene, he's young enough that we're better off with him for a few years than whatever forward we might draft and fail to develop/throw away? :dunno:

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Well, I do see us going after Pesce or Zadorov (but not getting both), trading Tomasino (but we won't get anything useful for him), and pressboxing Fabbro.

But after failing to get 2 good D, and after Carrier sees that nobody else loves him as much as we do, we'll just end up taking Carrier back.

In goal, Lankinen won't get a multi-year offer from anybody, so he'll just come back here on a 1-year deal.

Past that, we'll end up picking up a couple of mediocre forwards like Zucker or Foegele, or more glorious veteran depth forwards like Clutterbuck or Martin.

We'll trade our 2024 4th and 7th round draft picks for 2025 picks.

I am not optimistic. :help:
So we are running it back and being mediocre again? That really isnt optimistic

Reactions: hockey diva

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
If we gave up our 1st and maybe one of our one-the-outs guys like Glass or Tomasino for Necas, that'd be alright. If the latest rumormill of a team giving up a 1st for Necas is on the mark anyway. (Except, our #22 is probably a lot lower than whatever is actually going on).

It doesn't sound like Necas is really the kind of player we need, outside of him just basically having more skill than anybody but Forsberg for us. But flip side, even if he's kind of just the next Duchene, he's young enough that we're better off with him for a few years than whatever forward we might draft and fail to develop/throw away? :dunno:
I could totally see us getting Necas, talk him up as being seen as a center...it lasts 15 games and we end up with an overpriced 55 pt winger and right back to center depth of ROR-Novak/Parsnip/guy with a pulse-Sizzler-Big Sexy

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
Josi-Walker
Lauzon-Myers
Schenn-Stastney
Fabbro
Juuse Saros live look-in:

ralph-wiggum-im-in-danger-meme.jpg

Sadly, I think it's pretty realistic, but man, that is setting us up for a lot of pucks in the back of our net.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Any appetite for John Gibson should we trade saros?

Shouldnt cost much (if anything) to acquire. If he bounces back on a team that isnt atrocious, then it is a win for team not tank. If he is bad, then it is a win for team tank. His contract is just long enough to help bring Askarov into the NHL. 1 more year AHL/NHL, 1 year backup, 1 year split starter.

Reactions: weeze

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville

Shouldnt cost much (if anything) to acquire. If he bounces back on a team that isnt atrocious, then it is a win for team not tank. If he is bad, then it is a win for team tank. His contract is just long enough to help bring Askarov into the NHL. 1 more year AHL/NHL, 1 year backup, 1 year split starter.
For essentially free, maybe, but wouldn't give anything up. There was a wild thread breaking it down on the main boards last night.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
For essentially free, maybe, but wouldn't give anything up. There was a wild thread breaking it down on the main boards last night.

Yeh i read through it. I think it does a pretty good job but does kindof gloss over how demotivating it would be for a hyper-competitive goalie on a long term contract to play for that team and how motivated backup goalies are always looking for their next contract or big break.

Still wouldnt give up anything of much value for him but i do think he could rebound to atleast mediocre if the team around him isnt a dumpster fire

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017

I mean, it's not my money, but if we are tanking and spending $6.4M of the owners' money as part of it, then I'd want the team that's sending us a bad goalie to send some extra spice on top of it? So whoever has a crappy goalie contract to dump off, make it a bidding war... I've heard of Merzlikins, Jarry, probably a bunch of other negative-value goalie contracts out there. If somebody wants us to take one as our "stopgap", then just take whichever one lands us the best bribe in the process. That can be Gibson... just... I don't think Anaheim is a team that needs to bribe somebody to take him, since they are already tanking themselves? :dunno:

Anyway, I think we can safely put to rest any thoughts of trading Saros. We saw what Ullmark and Markstrom fetched in trades. We're not trading Saros.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I mean, it's not my money, but if we are tanking and spending $6.4M of the owners' money as part of it, then I'd want the team that's sending us a bad goalie to send some extra spice on top of it? So whoever has a crappy goalie contract to dump off, make it a bidding war... I've heard of Merzlikins, Jarry, probably a bunch of other negative-value goalie contracts out there. If somebody wants us to take one as our "stopgap", then just take whichever one lands us the best bribe in the process. That can be Gibson... just... I don't think Anaheim is a team that needs to bribe somebody to take him, since they are already tanking themselves? :dunno:

Anyway, I think we can safely put to rest any thoughts of trading Saros. We saw what Ullmark and Markstrom fetched in trades. We're not trading Saros.
I kindof wonder what elvis would look like here as well. I just think gibson has the best rebound chance

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville

IF we're actually planning to rebuild, I think Edmonton will be desperate to clear cap. Jack Campbell+Broberg or something would pique my interest

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
IF we're actually planning to rebuild, I think Edmonton will be desperate to clear cap. Jack Campbell+Broberg or something would pique my interest
Heck, I'd take Campbell (or another garbage goalie contract) and something even if we're not tanking/rebuilding. Campbell's buyout is fairly benign... $9M spread over 6 years... I guess it's just up to our bean counters how much value to attach to taking on that money. But then, if I'm the Oilers, I look at that and probably just buy out Campbell myself, then. :dunno:

Anyway, with more Cap space all around the league this year, there is probably not as much of a premium to be had in taking on other teams' Cap dumps anymore, alas.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Heck, I'd take Campbell (or another garbage goalie contract) and something even if we're not tanking/rebuilding. Campbell's buyout is fairly benign... $9M spread over 6 years... I guess it's just up to our bean counters how much value to attach to taking on that money. But then, if I'm the Oilers, I look at that and probably just buy out Campbell myself, then. :dunno:

Anyway, with more Cap space all around the league this year, there is probably not as much of a premium to be had in taking on other teams' Cap dumps anymore, alas.
Honestly all their buyouts arent terrible (gibson, elivs, and campbell). Problem for Edmonton is they absolutely need every dollar they can get to improve/keep what they have. They have Draisaitl and bouchard extensions next offseason with only ceci coming off.

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
Honestly if I'm the new Edmonton GM Campbell+Brobeeg cap dump is probably worthwhile in a vacuum. Broberg is turning into a project and the Oilers are in desperate win now mode and just need the space without giving up anything of immediate value. But someone may take Campbell with a cheaper sweetener than that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad