Nashville Predators talk - The offseason.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
"Kids" on expiring ELCs better go full-on swivel neck.

Could this be an indication we're going to flood the zone with free agents as our moves?

Wiesblatt has been a disappointment for the Sharks. His production has been nearly flatline.

PS: This could be read as two newerish GMs getting rid of the last guy's "garbage picks" by exchanging them in an effort to put their fingerprints on the organization.

Last edited:
Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

beardawg

Feb 12, 2015
Washington, DC
Mike Bossy had 9 50+goal seasons. Lemieux was about a 2.0 PPG player for his career. They're going to get a little bit more benefit of the doubt on pacing than a guy with 2 PPG seasons and 1 close to in 10 seasons.
You're not wrong, but I was just making a point about pacing stats being important. Context was lost a bit because the other guy changed his comment completely

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA

Could this be an indication we're going to flood the zone with free agents as our moves?

Wiesblatt has been a disappointment for the Sharks. His production has been nearly flatline.

PS: This could be read as two newerish GMs getting rid of the last guy's "garbage picks" by exchanging them in an effort to put their fingerprints on the organization.
Your PS should be expected to continue. Obviously most of us expect Tomasino to be gone, but maybe even the likes of Kemell, etc... I get why it happens but it feels like new GMs have a tendency to toss the baby out with the bathwater to facilitate change.

Last edited:

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
End of the day it's probably a nothing trade, but I think we absolutely got the short end of the stick. Really would have been nice to get some real NHL minutes from him last year instead of The Cole Smith Experience and see if we actually had something there.

I would have been more on board if Wiesblatt were a Dman, we could use the depth there. But no doubt this is a reaction to his waiver exemption running out. Wasted asset that I think will be a productive bottom sixer.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Feels like there's just zero point in getting excited or hopes up about a prospect until they're on the NHL roster. Ditch a 23 y/o that's PPG in the AHL before the offseason even starts because he'll be waiver eligible for a guy with almost no NHL upside... Woof.
Yeah I just don't understand this. Seems the realistic best case scenario for Wiesblatt this upcoming season would be he becomes a point per game player in the AHL. So essentially we're turning the clock back a year at best. Must be a stylistic move. I don't expect on a ton out of Egor but he will definitely get his chance you'd think.

Reactions: Armourboy

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
It would make sense for them to get a guy they like for a guy that we were likely to lose either via waivers or going to the KHL. This is an example of what I see as another downside of the overcooking philosophy that guys aren't going to be happy being held in the minors when they've earned a slot given the difference in salary.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007

They both played for Milwaukee in the playoffs and Ozzy was apparently better thought of.

I came here expecting a meltdown. I'm pleasantly surprised

Another stupid trade. 🙄

I am beginning to think Trotz has no idea what he is doing.
This almost has to be a call made by Taylor/Nichol

Edit.. the post about leaving for Russia explains this. Good luck EGOAT.

Reactions: bdub24 and hido

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
Screen_Shot_2017-05-02_at_2.43.53_PM.png

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
If I was a player that had plugged away in developmental leagues for 5 years post-draft, had shown consistent growth and development, and was still looking like I might be heading back to Milwaukee, I'd probably consider my other options as well. Not saying Trotz was wrong to not give guarantees, but I don't think Egor was wrong to be battling in contract talks either.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I guess they liked what they saw out of Ozzy in the AHL.... either that or they didnt plan on putting Afanaseyev into the NHL next season and figured theyd lose him on waivers.

Wish we couldve gotten Afanaseyev more NHL time. Seemed like a natural trenin replacement. Not really sure what all Ozzy brings to the table but we dont have to bring him up next season. He is another RW though... maybe a precursor to trading out Tomasino
Ozzy (5'10" and 185#, 22 yo) has speed and he can handle the puck in traffic and then pass or shoot on goal. Ozzy is a good checker for his size. Ozzy can play LW too. He had 17 points in 50 games. In 15 PO games, Ozzy was 2G and 7A for 9 points.

Egor (6'4" and 209#, 21 yo) is a big hitter and can score. Egor had 54 points in 56 games to lead the team. In 15 PO games, Egor was 5G and 4A for 9 points.

When I got a Zamboni ride, I was waiting near the glass in the NW corner. Somebody started a fight near the end of a period. Egor ended that fight. I could hear the "thwack" of each punch by Egor. It sounded like a sledge hammer hitting concrete.

If I had a hockey team, I would want both guys on it. Egor is more than a Trenin replacement.

Trotz got taken on this deal! That doesn't mean that Ozzy isn't good. He just isn't as good as Egor is at the moment. Ozzy better turn into Fil in 2 or 3 years!

No wonder the Preds are stuck in place. People in their org don't judge forward talent well at all.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Are you insinuating that pacing metrics don't matter and that the NHL doesn't track them? Because both of those things are most definitely incorrect. Point-per-game stats are the cornerstone of arguments for players like Lemieux, Bossy, and Orr for being all time greats because they didn't have longevity

Edit: how many times are you going to edit your comment? Original post said no one cares above pacing and those seasons don't count if FF never actually hit those point/goal totals
As many times as I want, I wasn't talking to you anyways.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Frankly I have no issue with Russian players (or any player) using the leverage they have. Egor has made enough strides to get his shot and continuing to play in the AHL is just not that compelling of an option compared to being closer to home in a good, well-paying league.
Me either, and frankly he was in a position he should have been using it because he wasn't wrong.

See this was the whole issue I was talking about earlier, mudding the waters, not using this past season of good will to find out what you had in players. Now we are sending out players that should be moving up simply because they are out of waiver time.

This past season should have been about evaluation simply because you had so many guys that needed a decision made on. Now that decision is being made for them.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017

Whatever got Afanaseyev out the door... if it was demanding a 1-way contract or threatening to go to Russia... if I'm Tomasino's agent I'm taking notes. He needs to do exactly the same thing. Demand that 1-way deal, threaten to go to Switzerland instead maybe. :dunno:

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
THE NHL IS NOT THE DEVELOPMENTAL OR ASSESSMENT LEAGUE!

Egoat was a player in contention for a NHL spot next season Saying he earned one was a stretch. He was third in points per game for the Ads .... 1 point in 19 NHL games across two seasons. The play me or I'll go to Russia card doesn't resonate well with the Preds who still remember Radulov. Zucker worked fairly well as a TDL roster boost. Beauvillier not so much. Those moves filled the top six and put Egoat in a position where he needed an injury or two on the big club to open a roster spot. If you're projecting him as a 4th liner, then he has zero leverage. If you're thinking top six, where does he fit?

HF continually misses a key point. That point is that NHL teams exist to make the playoffs, generate revenue, and hopefully advance multiple rounds. Seven figures of additional revenue does wonders for the bottom line.

ETA: Gallagher loves making assertions that facts don't support.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
End of the day it's probably a nothing trade, but I think we absolutely got the short end of the stick. Really would have been nice to get some real NHL minutes from him last year instead of The Cole Smith Experience and see if we actually had something there.

I would have been more on board if Wiesblatt were a Dman, we could use the depth there. But no doubt this is a reaction to his waiver exemption running out. Wasted asset that I think will be a productive bottom sixer.
I think it would be fair to argue that Afanaseyev's upside wasn't that great, and that indeed you can find tweeners like Jankowski and Smith and a dozen UFAs who will fill those spots on your roster anytime you need them filled. Probably. But... *sometimes* a young player keeps on progressing after his ELC runs out and does better than you expected. To me, this is the value in holding onto Afanaseyev, at least for a little while. For now, he does have the size, skating, physical skills to be an adequate 4th line filler. But in the off chance he takes another step and has something more... ? I'd be down for that "off chance", because I know for 100% certain that there is nothing more coming from the Jankowskis and Smiths of the world.

Meanwhile, SJ just wanted to dump Weisblatt, he was a bust pick for them. I remember on draft day there was some rudeness about his family background and all which I thought was unfair, but he also hasn't shown any signs of being a valid NHL prospect, regardless. He's a 5'10" shift disturber at the AHL level, basically. The Preds are saying just renting the player he is for the Admirals next season is more valuable to them than holding onto Afanaseyev. Which is just bad asset management. The Sharks probably would have given Weisblatt to us for Future Considerations. We didn't need to trade Afanaseyev for him. This is just Trotz saying he's not going to accept any ultimatums. Which if I'm a young player in the Preds organization just says "bring on the ultimatums so I can get the heck out of here". :dunno:

Last edited:

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Egor shouldve been given a fair shot ar NHL tine around the trade deadline so they couldve evaluated what they had and made a more informed decision.

If we are lucky, i guess Ozzy kindof turns into a sherwood type replacement in a couple years?

Sherwood???

Then Trotz got taken Big Time!!!

Egor could be a 3rd line NHL wing next year.
He had 0.96 PPG in the AHL. He should be 0.50 to 0.60 PPG in the NHL. After a season or 2 in the NHL, I see him as a 2nd line wing, which is exactly what the Preds need. A guy with size that can score.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad