Nashville Predators talk - The Offseason

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Anything on Saros?

Maybe it is just me but that seems like a haul for an old goalie that has a full NMC and has one had 1 above average season over the past 4 seasons. 32 goalies over the past 4 seasons with more than 130 games played and markstrom is 15th in SV%. So perfectly mediocre and 7th oldest one of them.

Bahl is a pretty decent prospect and a 1st for next season is pretty good.

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Anything on Saros?

Maybe it is just me but that seems like a haul for an old goalie that has a full NMC and has one had 1 above average season over the past 4 seasons. 32 goalies over the past 4 seasons with more than 130 games played and markstrom is 15th in SV%. So perfectly mediocre and 7th oldest one of them.

Bahl is a pretty decent prospect and a 1st for next season is pretty good.
If the Devils rebound and are a playoff team it's a 1st in the 20s. I guess it's not bad for a goalie you don't really need but if we are going to trade Saros I'd want something a lot better.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
If the Devils rebound and are a playoff team it's a 1st in the 20s. I guess it's not bad for a goalie you don't really need but if we are going to trade Saros I'd want something a lot better.
Saros should hold a fair bit more value than Markstrom due to a variety of factors (age, performance, etc). Just commenting that Markstrom got a decent haul for what i view as an overhyped asset.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Probably they paid a little extra for the retention as well. Now their #1 goalie solution only costs them a $4.125M Cap hit. I'd want a lot more for Saros, but then at the same time I can see how his contract situation would be scary to any acquiring team also, such that they would be leery to offer anything more.

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
Yeah, that's not a deal I'm going to cry over. A late 1st + a middling defenseman is not the package that would've been enough for Saros, imo.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
The guys on the COI podcast were talking about the possibility of re-signing Arvy. Strategically, I don't think it makes a lot of sense, but man do I think that would create some excitement if he'd be willing to sign a 1 or 2 year deal at $1.5mm AAV.
Good lort no. He was looking broken down at the end of his ride here and seeing him live in LA last season looked like a progression of that. Loved that guy, but that horse is ready for the glue factory

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Saros should hold a fair bit more value than Markstrom due to a variety of factors (age, performance, etc). Just commenting that Markstrom got a decent haul for what i view as an overhyped asset.
That's not a decent haul, its going to end up being a late first and 3rd pairing Dman. I actually think Calgary got robbed :laugh:

Reactions: bdub24

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
That's not a decent haul, its going to end up being a late first and 3rd pairing Dman. I actually think Calgary got robbed :laugh:
Last 4 seasons
Samsanov - .902 sv% 2.80 GAA free agent
Markstrom - .907 sv% 2.63 GAA 1st and a young 3rd pairing d with 2nd pairing potential
Kuemper - .909 sv% 2.80 GAA cap dump for cap dump

Feel like they did pretty dang good for themselves

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Last 4 seasons
Markstrom - .907 sv% 2.63 GAA 1st and a young 3rd pairing d with 2nd pairing potential

The difference being that of those three Markstrom is the only one whose most recent season has numbers resembling anything remotely like those last-4-seasons numbers.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
The difference being that of those three Markstrom is the only one whose most recent season has numbers resembling anything remotely like those last-4-seasons numbers.
His numbers last season look like Samsanov's and Kuemper's numbers this season. He is as old as Kuemper and 6 or so older than Samsanov.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Nothing on Saros for now. I will say, that package for Markstrom is less than what I heard. What I had heard was the original ask was not top 10 protected.
Oh man I was really hoping you would at least give me a little credit for calling it lmfao

Last edited:
Reactions: bdub24

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Sure, we could use an improvement on D. We need an improvement up front more than we need on D. We need better players in the top 6. That should be our focus. The problem I have, is the players available in FA outside of a few players are not what we need.

I'd honestly like to see what BT has up his sleeve. I'd love to see him make an offer to a RFA, someone like Byfield. LA is up against the cap. They'd have to shuffle the deck around to make a deal happen. Is Byfield someone worth going after? Is he a number 1 center we can build a team around for the next 10 years? He's learned from Kopitar. He'll continue to learn from ROR.

I don't want to watch another season of certain players in this lineup. They need to be replaced. Guys like Sissons can be your fourth line players and in his case, he can work up the lineup if injuries hit.
Woody? Glass? Barrie? Tomasino? McCarron?

So many choices!

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
There is so many leaks in the media. All I’m gonna say is if Barry Trotz does what I think he does he will make history.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Ive got zero issue with Jankowski, Smith, and McCarron being around and playing on the 4th line or filling out the roster and spending time in the pressbox so that we arent wasting developmental years of young players when they could be playing in teh AHL instead.

The issue is... they dont really need to play above the 4th line and yet they end up there for one reason or another.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Nothing on Saros for now. I will say, that package for Markstrom is less than what I heard. What I had heard was the original ask was not top 10 protected.

Oh man I was really hoping you would at least give me a little credit for calling it lmfao
I mean the way you said it originally it didn't sound like you were calling it out, it sounded like someone that was misinformed about a trade you thought happened but didn't. You didn't say you heard Markstrom was being traded, you said " now that Markstrom is in New Jersey " which is why everyone was questioning if you were smoking something.

If you had said you had heard it the reaction would have been different.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Ive got zero issue with Jankowski, Smith, and McCarron being around and playing on the 4th line or filling out the roster and spending time in the pressbox so that we arent wasting developmental years of young players when they could be playing in teh AHL instead.

The issue is... they dont really need to play above the 4th line and yet they end up there for one reason or another.
If the objective is to develop younger guys and let them marinate in the goodness of guys like O'Reilly, it doesn't make sense to flood the zone with older replacement level guys.

If the objective is to go deep in the playoffs, then it doesn't make sense to flood the zone with a couple of lines and maybe a pairing of guys who bring almost nothing to the table in a playoff series.

That's the real mushy middle.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014

I agree, I want to see Smiths and McCarrons on 4th line. Reliable guys filling their role. I could see someone like Afanasiev who might find himself in a similar role to play with those guys, but even then I'd rather see them get their chances on higher lines first.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Last 4 seasons

And Saros is a .913 and 2.73 over the last 3 and I don't think anyone would consider that a haul around here. Also I've seen very few NJ fans that think Bahl is going to be a 2nd pair guy.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
If you don't have top end talent to balance out the lack of production guys like Smith, McCarron, etc, you will never go far. You can't have a 1/3 of your forwards be offensive black holes. One of them in the lineup is fine. Four of them, not so much.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
The Markstrom of 21-22 looks like an aberration though. He carried the load, had a career season in SV%, and they won a lot of games. Then the playoffs came and he was a vapor trail in net.

If the return for him was a 1st and a scrub/prospect, Saros should net a lot more than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad