Nashville Predators talk - The Offseason

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
BFC: any news in particular got you all excited?

My personal opinion (not what I want per se) is Pesce and Stephenson are Preds next year each at around $6.25.
Mostly media rumblings you got Gallagher talking about Saros wanting 8.25 end up getting the feeling that Trotz might not be a fan of Russians could be misperception, but that’s just a feeling I got I could see Askarov and Afanasyev out the door I am also remembering last trade deadline San Jose one in Fabbro And the goalie lineup sucks.

But it’s 100° up here in upstate New York with the combination of MS and the heat and my autism. I’m a bit more emotional than usual. I could see Nashville give him a call to San Jose offer; Askarov and Fabbro+ to SJ for #1. Grier is in job saving mode.

Then I see some Sportsnet dip shits making up a trade offer for saros and Marner; Saros + Fabbro + Sissons + 1st for Marner and a top prospect. Do you want Trotz to go and knees too? Go get some Chapstick?

I’m a bit triggered if you must be honest. I’d rather take that deal to make a deal for the number one overall pick.

EDIT: another thing, If Philly buysout Johansen, that means the Preds are 6 mil UNDER the cap floor. Unless you want the chants of welfare franchise on this team, expensive is NOT in the vocab.

Last edited:
Reactions: bdub24

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
Stephenson was the 4C in Washington when they won the Cup with Trotz. Easy to see Trotz going after him in FA.

But, it does push out one center spot. Novak moves to the wing permanently, obviously. Glass might be gone before the season starts. I truly hope that Pärssinen gets an extended look at a middle-six center spot with some decent wingers. Or, Stephenson moves to the 2LW spot.

So, something like:

Forsberg - O'Reilly - Evangelista
Stephenson - Pärssinen - Nyquist
Novak - Sissons - Jankowski
Smith - McCarron - Sherwood

Not much is going to change, as you can see. Stephenson essentially replaces Zucker and that's about it.

Last edited:

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Stephenson was the 4C in Washington when they won the Cup with Trotz. Easy to see Trotz going after him in FA.

But, it does push out one center spot. Novak moves to the wing permanently, obviously. Glass might be gone before the season starts. I truly hope that Pärssinen gets an extended look at a middle-six center spot with some decent wingers. Or, Stephenson moves to the 2LW spot.
If they sign Stephenson, it's presumably to be 2C, he is an Experienced NHL Center... they're not going to play Parssinen at center over him.

But I would expect Stephenson to get something like the Turris contract, 6x$6Mish, and I don't want any part of that, even if he's an ok player.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
Yeah I'd see Stephenson as 2C and Parssinen getting ice time on either his or Sissons' line as a winger, eventually transitioning to center position and covering for them in case of injuries

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Mostly media rumblings you got Gallagher talking about Saros wanting 8.25 end up getting the feeling that Trotz might not be a fan of Russians could be misperception, but that’s just a feeling I got I could see Askarov and Afanasyev out the door I am also remembering last trade deadline San Jose one in Fabbro And the goalie lineup sucks.
The not being a fan of Russians went out the window a while ago. Trotz won his cup with 2 Russians playing a major role and one could argue he got more out of them than anyone ever has been able too. I don't think he disliked Russians, I think he just disliked Radulov in particular.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
No way we sign Stephenson and don’t play him at center since the premium price he’ll get is because he’s a center. Somehow I feel like we have both too many centers and not enough centers. Guys like Novak, Parsinnen, and Glass (although I think that ship sailed) need to be playing center in the NHL to develop if we want them to be the fix long term. However, none of them are good enough currently to fill a 2C role on a contending team. Trotz is trying to thread the needle of a competitive retool which is hard to do. We saw it with Parsinnen last year who we wanted to be a top six winger but then when he struggled didn’t really have anywhere else to go in the lineup and things just spiraled. Whatever we do I hope we just pick a lane and stick to it. If we want to compete fill holes and spend to the cap, and if we want to retool stick with the plan even if it costs us some games in the short term. Otherwise I feel like we’re just going to get the worst of both worlds where we’re not good enough to do anything in the playoffs but we’re also not really developing players particularly well.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Forsberg RoR Nyquist
Novak Stephenson Evangelista
Xxxx Pärssinen Sissons
Afanaseyev McCarron Smith

Wouldnt mind it as long as we find a way to let Pärssinen atleast start at center and see how that goes. I think Sissons on his wing would be a good choice and mentor. Not sure who the other winger would be but someone like Tomasino, Afanasyev, or L'Heureux would be interesting. Then have Jankowski on standby to fill in if needed.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
Forsberg RoR Nyquist
Novak Stephenson Evangelista
Xxxx Pärssinen Sissons
Afanaseyev McCarron Smith

Wouldnt mind it as long as we find a way to let Pärssinen atleast start at center and see how that goes. I think Sissons on his wing would be a good choice and mentor. Not sure who the other winger would be but someone like Tomasino, Afanasyev, or L'Heureux would be interesting. Then have Jankowski on standby to fill in if needed.
Stephenson would solidify our offense a lot and whether Parssinen is thrown right at the center position or transitioned there later, we'll see. I don't know which way would serve him better, but luckily they got some greater hockey minds to make that decision.

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
I just think that if we sign Stephenson, it's just another sign of how clueless our management is building this team long-term.

What does Stephenson bring to the table long-term? We're in a re-tool, and should be building for the future. I don't think a 30-year-old Stephenson is the answer towards building a Cup-winner long-term.

Stephenson is a guy you sign when you're two or three pieces away from a Cup. He has shown he can carry the load as the 2C, albeit he needs really strong wingers to support him. But he has proven he can win.

But for us, he's just another player to block our youth and especially a hefty 6-year-deal means that he's going nowhere in the near future.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
No way we sign Stephenson and don’t play him at center since the premium price he’ll get is because he’s a center. Somehow I feel like we have both too many centers and not enough centers. Guys like Novak, Parsinnen, and Glass (although I think that ship sailed) need to be playing center in the NHL to develop if we want them to be the fix long term. However, none of them are good enough currently to fill a 2C role on a contending team. Trotz is trying to thread the needle of a competitive retool which is hard to do. We saw it with Parsinnen last year who we wanted to be a top six winger but then when he struggled didn’t really have anywhere else to go in the lineup and things just spiraled. Whatever we do I hope we just pick a lane and stick to it. If we want to compete fill holes and spend to the cap, and if we want to retool stick with the plan even if it costs us some games in the short term. Otherwise I feel like we’re just going to get the worst of both worlds where we’re not good enough to do anything in the playoffs but we’re also not really developing players particularly well.
The issue is we don't have enough true true top six centers. We have one, O'Reilly, who on most teams would be a number 2 center. I love O'Reilly. Like love the player, but his gifts are defensive not offensive. That can work if the supporting cast is better (see Florida).

Stephenson is a name I have heard, but there are names I've heard that never panned out too. Hard to say with 100% certainty as there is a lot of noise and speculation this time of year.

I will say, I doubt just based on my gut, Saros is moved. I think it is very likely we go in with Saros/Askarov next year and see how Askarov does before moving (or not moving) Saros at the deadline.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
especially a hefty 6-year-deal
This is the big issue for me I'd be fine with Stephenson on a shorter or lower AAV deal who could be a stopgap 2C for a couple years and then gets pushed down to 3C in the later years. The problem is that plan doesn't really work if he's on a 6 x 6 deal or something like that. Maybe a hot take but I'm also not convinced he's actually that much better than Sissons. As you say I think he's just gotten much better linemates that have boosted his numbers.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
I just think that if we sign Stephenson, it's just another sign of how clueless our management is building this team long-term.

What does Stephenson bring to the table long-term? We're in a re-tool, and should be building for the future. I don't think a 30-year-old Stephenson is the answer towards building a Cup-winner long-term.

Stephenson is a guy you sign when you're two or three pieces away from a Cup. He has shown he can carry the load as the 2C, albeit he needs really strong wingers to support him. But he has proven he can win.

But for us, he's just another player to block our youth and especially a hefty 6-year-deal means that he's going nowhere in the near future.
If you look at the lineup I quoted, who exactly is he blocking?

Novak, Evangelista, Parssinen, Afanasiev in that sketch with one open position. Could be Glass, could be Sherwood, could be Kemell.

We need more scoring and if we rely on what we have now...I'm not convinced it's enough if the goal is to remain relatively competitive. Stephenson needs to compete for the icetime too, so if Parssinen for example plays lights out and pushes Stephenson to 3C then that's a positive problem. ROR money is coming off in 3 years, so I don't think it's that big of an issue if we pay our 3C $6M (because, as said it'd mean Parssinen is taking a bid step forward)

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I see Stephenson as a placeholder at 2C. He is someone that can move over to wing should Pärssinen or Svechkov prove themselves but in the meantime we actually have a capable 2C. Nyquist only has one more season under contract which will provide upward mobility for Evangelista. If Pärssinen or svechkov overtake him after this season, move him to wing. If Kemell/L'Heureux/Wood/Tomasino are pushing their way to the top 6 by that time, create a true top 9 with good center depth.

Personally, id rather have someone that can push RoR down a line.... but those doent seem to be available.

Reactions: Gh24

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
This is the big issue for me I'd be fine with Stephenson on a shorter or lower AAV deal who could be a stopgap 2C for a couple years and then gets pushed down to 3C in the later years. The problem is that plan doesn't really work if he's on a 6 x 6 deal or something like that. Maybe a hot take but I'm also not convinced he's actually that much better than Sissons. As you say I think he's just gotten much better linemates that have boosted his numbers.
This exactly. Stephenson has had a few productive years now getting good icetime on a strong team, but I don't really see him as a very dynamic or creative player. He's pretty solid, but he's already 30 years old. He's not exactly like Sissons in terms of playing style, but I do see him sliding into that kind of level of player, and sooner rather than later. Especially if he signs with a less talented team than Vegas, which seems likely given he'll be looking to maximize his $$$. For 2 or 3 years, we could ride out overpaying him at $6M perhaps. But we can't carry him for 6 years when he'll probably be producing Sissons-like numbers in the last 3 years.

Either spending that money more wisely - or just conserving it for future use - would be better options for us. As noted above, we do have some internal options at center now. I'd rather ride out a year on Parssinen/Glass/Novak than commit to the kind of contract Stephenson will likely command.

Reactions: Armourboy

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
I would much rather trade some of our wealth of assets for a "Has problems but could be a game-changer" type forward a la Zegras or Marner than bring in Stephenson on a 6x6. We have a ton of space, I'd do a 6Mx3y deal, but don't like the idea of paying 2C money to a proven non-2C for that long.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
A Stephenson signing would be a signal that our youth pipeline at center is toast. We'd have O'Reilly, Sissons, and Stephenson as proven NHL caliber centers. And we signed McCarron as that 4th line, big body center. Glass, Parssinen, Novak, etc. would have to win jobs as wingers or be sent on the chute out the door.

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Looks like we hired Darby Hendrickson to replace Hinote. Added Franson as a scout too. He's been an assistant with the Wild for 14 years so he has the experience staying in the mushy middle that we desperately need. But really I know nothing about him so I suppose we will see. Coached and played alongside Bruno.

beardawg

Feb 12, 2015
Washington, DC
A Stephenson signing would be a signal that our youth pipeline at center is toast. We'd have O'Reilly, Sissons, and Stephenson as proven NHL caliber centers. And we signed McCarron as that 4th line, big body center. Glass, Parssinen, Novak, etc. would have to win jobs as wingers or be sent on the chute out the door.
Which, lets be honest, is the most likely scenario. Parssinen could still pan out, but he's probably best on the 3rd line right now. Novak is just a winger trying to play center, and Glass is almost a buyout candidate

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Looks like we hired Darby Hendrickson to replace Hinote. Added Franson as a scout too. He's been an assistant with the Wild for 14 years so he has the experience staying in the mushy middle that we desperately need. But really I know nothing about him so I suppose we will see. Coached and played alongside Bruno.

Well, that leaves back-to-Milwaukee for Taylor, hopefully. :dunno:

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
If you look at the lineup I quoted, who exactly is he blocking?

Novak, Evangelista, Parssinen, Afanasiev in that sketch with one open position. Could be Glass, could be Sherwood, could be Kemell.

We need more scoring and if we rely on what we have now...I'm not convinced it's enough if the goal is to remain relatively competitive. Stephenson needs to compete for the icetime too, so if Parssinen for example plays lights out and pushes Stephenson to 3C then that's a positive problem. ROR money is coming off in 3 years, so I don't think it's that big of an issue if we pay our 3C $6M (because, as said it'd mean Parssinen is taking a bid step forward)
It's always an issue if you are overpaying your 3C by 3-4 million a season, I don't care how good anyone else plays.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Which, lets be honest, is the most likely scenario. Parssinen could still pan out, but he's probably best on the 3rd line right now. Novak is just a winger trying to play center, and Glass is almost a buyout candidate
Nah glass can be buried with a small cap penalty. worst comes to worst you always need someone to occupy the pressbox.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad