Nashville Predators Talk - 2024/2025 Season

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
For hockey, I'd want acceleration and agility over top speed. The ability to burst past a defender, stop and start on a dime, and move laterally better than others can give you a great advantage.
Agreed. The only time top speed is key is when racing after an iced puck or racing to get back on the backcheck. Otherwise, there's really no time to even hit that speed

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
If Josi was ever truly "fast" he isn't now. I don't know the last time he's actually recovered from being out of position defensively and broke up a play.

Rate of acceleration is more important in many ways than flat out speed. Having both is nice but if I had to pick one I'd choose acceleration.
Josi damn near beat McDavid at an allstar game once when they did the fastest lap competition. It's been a while ago but it was pretty dang tight.

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
Josi has definitely lost a step. Last time I remember him really having the juice to get back and break stuff up from out of position, which used to be a hallmark of his game, was the 21-22 near Norris year. Still a great player, just having to adjust to time like everyone else.

But yeah, top line speed isn't everything. I think most people would agree McDavid is the best skater in the league, and while he's very fast, I think last I saw he was outside the top ten in the league in flat line speed according to the edge numbers. It's his ridiculous ability to change speed and direction more than anything.

Legionnaire11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 12, 2007
Fort Wayne
atlantichockeyleague.com
I've always wondered how valuable top speed truly is given how rarely you actually get the chance to hit it.. I'd think acceleration is the more important thing but much more difficult to measure.

EDGE also has number of 20mph+ bursts, and I think that's a more telling stat then just top speed, because it shows players who are hitting the highest gears more consistently. Nathan MacKinnon pretty much lapped the field in that category last season, and most of the rest of the top performers are the ones who match the eye-test on "that's a fast player" and uses their speed effectively. There's always surprises and outliers, but it's a pretty good metric IMO

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
No Josi came in second, and everyone was shocked by it because no one had a clue he had that kind of umph.

That was our ASG right? I remember watching and thinking that Roman was in just because they were trying to get our guys participation points and then when he took off I was shocked.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Gotta make sure Smith and McCarron get plenty of ice time to take dumb penalties somehow.
Is there any irony in their roles on the team being our defensive/shutdown/PK forwards?

PS: Doing things the hard way. The answer to inability to possess the puck and score is ... add more "energy guys" to the bottom of the lineup.

Reactions: hockey diva

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Gotta make sure Smith and McCarron get plenty of ice time to take dumb penalties somehow.

Calm down, we already know that Trotz is on the phone. He might be talking to Montreal about a hockey deal. I’ve been talking to some of the Habs fans and there might be a deal there. Montreal is looking to beef up there bottom six. They also have Justin Barron who management is not a fan of but the fans are it would not shock me if one of the bottom and Fabbro go to Montreal for Barron And Christian Dvorak.

(And we get to see which media member runs with that)

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Calm down, we already know that Trotz is on the phone. He might be talking to Montreal about a hockey deal. I’ve been talking to some of the Habs fans and there might be a deal there. Montreal is looking to beef up there bottom six. They also have Justin Barron who management is not a fan of but the fans are it would not shock me if one of the bottom and Fabbro go to Montreal for Barron And Christian Dvorak.

(And we get to see which media member runs with that)
Im indifferent on Barron but am absolutely opposed to Dvorak. Dvorak cant stay healthy long enough to get more than 38 points and his productivity has slipped the last couple years. Thats just a waste of cap space.

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
I know Trotz has tried to revamp the culture but it's not clear to me that he has succeeded at that at all.
I am not sure this is it at all. That is just what they are calling it. Culture. I think Trotz for whatever reason didn't like those guys and was going to dump them the first chance he could. And call it culture. Excuses are dime a dozen and right now Trotz is spending all his dimes. If not for the 18 game point streak last year, the Preds season would have been lost. Starting out 0-5-0 this season after 3 UFA acquisitions doesn't look good. Team is in disarray, both O and D wise. Benching same players as last year, very little scoring, talking of trades after 5-8 games to start the season doesn't say you like YOUR team that YOU crafted over the summer. Kind of like grasping at straws to see if anything works instantly.

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
I am not sure this is it at all. That is just what they are calling it. Culture. I think Trotz for whatever reason didn't like those guys and was going to dump them the first chance he could. And call it culture. Excuses are dime a dozen and right now Trotz is spending all his dimes. If not for the 18 game point streak last year, the Preds season would have been lost. Starting out 0-5-0 this season after 3 UFA acquisitions doesn't look good. Team is in disarray, both O and D wise. Benching same players as last year, very little scoring, talking of trades after 5-8 games to start the season doesn't say you like YOUR team that YOU crafted over the summer. Kind of like grasping at straws to see if anything works instantly.
It is a little odd to get rid of Duchene because of culture/being overpaid then turn around and sign Stamkos, who is more one dimensional than Duchene at this point, to 8.5. I suppose Stamkos is more of a locker room guy but from an on ice standpoint that doesn't look great at the moment.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Maybe we need to stop worrying TOO much about what guys do outside of the office. If Duchene wants to play his guitar and make a country album or whatever, instead of stay an extra 2hrs at the gym, I mean, people have lives. As long as they're performing on the ice and aren't into anything that is going to be outright detrimental/bad on their own time then maybe it'd be better for our team to actually keep the better players?

One wonders if that is the sort of thing that currently has the likes of Fabbro, Tomasino, Parssinen on the outside? Maybe it's not just all down to age? But to me again, as long as they aren't engaging in truly detrimental activities, I don't really care... Smith can spend an extra 20 hrs a week in the gym, but it doesn't automatically make him a better hockey player who is going to help us win more hockey games.
:dunno:

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
Maybe we need to stop worrying TOO much about what guys do outside of the office. If Duchene wants to play his guitar and make a country album or whatever, instead of stay an extra 2hrs at the gym, I mean, people have lives. As long as they're performing on the ice and aren't into anything that is going to be outright detrimental/bad on their own time then maybe it'd be better for our team to actually keep the better players?

One wonders if that is the sort of thing that currently has the likes of Fabbro, Tomasino, Parssinen on the outside? Maybe it's not just all down to age? But to me again, as long as they aren't engaging in truly detrimental activities, I don't really care... Smith can spend an extra 20 hrs a week in the gym, but it doesn't automatically make him a better hockey player who is going to help us win more hockey games.
:dunno:
This is Trotz we're talking about. I distinctly remember him, um, how do I say it in the not crude way I want, being really excited about putting together a line of Jed Ortmeyer - Radek Bonk - Jerrod Smithson.

Culture matters, but so does talent. Additionally I think you can hide some of the"hockey isn't life" guys by balancing them with guys who do live that way. All I can hope is Trotz and co had a good reason for desperately shipping out Duchene. No reason crying over spilled milk at this point I guess. Dollar for dollar Stamkos basically replaces Duchene. Let's hope he finds his footing as the season goes along. I'm okay with it taking some time to find his groove, but, he does eventually have to find it.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
This is Trotz we're talking about. I distinctly remember him, um, how do I say it in the not crude way I want, being really excited about putting together a line of Jed Ortmeyer - Radek Bonk - Jerrod Smithson.

Culture matters, but so does talent. Additionally I think you can hide some of the"hockey isn't life" guys by balancing them with guys who do live that way. All I can hope is Trotz and co had a good reason for desperately shipping out Duchene. No reason crying over spilled milk at this point I guess. Dollar for dollar Stamkos basically replaces Duchene. Let's hope he finds his footing as the season goes along. I'm okay with it taking some time to find his groove, but, he does eventually have to find it.
I highlighted this because does anyone think Ovie put in more time trying to get better defensively or would've been ok without getting his 2 minutes per PP time?

I'd like to know what the expectations are for Tomasino and Parssinen. Are they not playing the system well? Are they not hustling? Are they not producing points? Is it something off the ice that keeps them from being on the ice? Are they pouting?

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I highlighted this because does anyone think Ovie put in more time trying to get better defensively or would've been ok without getting his 2 minutes per PP time?

I'd like to know what the expectations are for Tomasino and Parssinen. Are they not playing the system well? Are they not hustling? Are they not producing points? Is it something off the ice that keeps them from being on the ice? Are they pouting?
Parssinen got 1 outing and his line got scored on alot. I think maybe 1 was partially due to him being unable to clear the puck. Dont really recall much else that stood out in his 5 mins of ice time.

Tomasino hasnt been really bad or good.

Neither mesh well with the 4th line. Bruno doesnt want to cycle Jankowski out for one reason or another and for some reason hasnt even tried Parssinen with Stamkos/Marchessault when nothing else has really worked. So there's the most logical spots for Parssinen and Tomasino in the top 9.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad