Nashville Predators Talk - 2024/2025 Season

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
For hockey, I'd want acceleration and agility over top speed. The ability to burst past a defender, stop and start on a dime, and move laterally better than others can give you a great advantage.
Agreed. The only time top speed is key is when racing after an iced puck or racing to get back on the backcheck. Otherwise, there's really no time to even hit that speed

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
If Josi was ever truly "fast" he isn't now. I don't know the last time he's actually recovered from being out of position defensively and broke up a play.

Rate of acceleration is more important in many ways than flat out speed. Having both is nice but if I had to pick one I'd choose acceleration.
Josi damn near beat McDavid at an allstar game once when they did the fastest lap competition. It's been a while ago but it was pretty dang tight.

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
Josi has definitely lost a step. Last time I remember him really having the juice to get back and break stuff up from out of position, which used to be a hallmark of his game, was the 21-22 near Norris year. Still a great player, just having to adjust to time like everyone else.

But yeah, top line speed isn't everything. I think most people would agree McDavid is the best skater in the league, and while he's very fast, I think last I saw he was outside the top ten in the league in flat line speed according to the edge numbers. It's his ridiculous ability to change speed and direction more than anything.

Legionnaire11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 12, 2007
Fort Wayne
atlantichockeyleague.com
I've always wondered how valuable top speed truly is given how rarely you actually get the chance to hit it.. I'd think acceleration is the more important thing but much more difficult to measure.

EDGE also has number of 20mph+ bursts, and I think that's a more telling stat then just top speed, because it shows players who are hitting the highest gears more consistently. Nathan MacKinnon pretty much lapped the field in that category last season, and most of the rest of the top performers are the ones who match the eye-test on "that's a fast player" and uses their speed effectively. There's always surprises and outliers, but it's a pretty good metric IMO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad