Nashville Predators Talk - 2024/2025 Season

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I'm having sugar withdrawals. Y'all know how sweet I am and without sugar, well, I could get surly. We need a win for my health.

Do it.

How do you think I feel I can no longer take caffeine. Messes with my MS and caffeine is a hell of a drug

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
Daily face offs have projected line combinations: color me not impressed. Looks like Fabbro, Tomasino, and Pars in the press box. Ugh. Sissons as the 2nd line center:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
I know every fanbase makes jokes about their coach refusing to play young guys but it's crossed the line of parody at this point.

Fabbro has the best xG% of any defenseman on the team! Sissons has the worst (min 40 mins ice time)! What are we doing??

Last edited:

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I know every fanbase makes jokes about their coach refusing to play young guys but it's crossed the line of parody at this point.

Fabbro has the best xG% of any defenseman on the team! Sissons has the worst (min 40 mins ice time)! What are we doing??
But does he play a hard to play against style? Does he have enough compete in his game?

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Whatever the specific reasoning there habe been issues with prospect/youth deployment and development under all 4 of our coaches. While Trotz is a common factor in two instances, Lavy and Hynes were both from outside the Preds ecosystem and had them problems (Hynes basically having no choice but to play the younger players for one half season as one of the few exceptions). I don't know how much it's even worth complaining about anymore, I'm not convinced it will be any different under the next guy.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Whatever the specific reasoning there habe been issues with prospect/youth deployment and development under all 4 of our coaches. While Trotz is a common factor in two instances, Lavy and Hynes were both from outside the Preds ecosystem and had them problems (Hynes basically having no choice but to play the younger players for one half season as one of the few exceptions). I don't know how much it's even worth complaining about anymore, I'm not convinced it will be any different under the next guy.
There are so many places it can go wrong.

Is it talent assessment/drafting?

Is it the rookie/development camp where they first get a taste and are told, these are the things you need to work on?

Is it once they're in the org and in either the AHL/ECHL where the coaches aren't developing NHL ready players?

Is it getting to the NHL and not being prepared, going back down and never finding the keys to make it work?

Is it the player not working and having the drive to succeed?

Is it plain old bad communication?

Is it not drafting the right guys for the system - which by all accounts is hard to do if you're changing coaches like we have the last 10 or so years?

Are we not drafting well for the trends of the way the NHL is going?

Are we just not putting the kids in a position to succeed and playing to their strengths?

These are just the ones I thought of and my guess is it's a combo of all of these in some way, shape or form.

The question we should be asking and then modeling after is, how are other teams able to integrate their youth into the lineup and not miss a beat?

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I will say if you go back and look at Lavi's lineups we were much younger. Not sure if it's because the players were just better or if we handled their development better though.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
There are so many places it can go wrong.

Is it talent assessment/drafting?

Is it the rookie/development camp where they first get a taste and are told, these are the things you need to work on?

Is it once they're in the org and in either the AHL/ECHL where the coaches aren't developing NHL ready players?

Is it getting to the NHL and not being prepared, going back down and never finding the keys to make it work?

Is it the player not working and having the drive to succeed?

Is it plain old bad communication?

Is it not drafting the right guys for the system - which by all accounts is hard to do if you're changing coaches like we have the last 10 or so years?

Are we not drafting well for the trends of the way the NHL is going?

Are we just not putting the kids in a position to succeed and playing to their strengths?

These are just the ones I thought of and my guess is it's a combo of all of these in some way, shape or form.

The question we should be asking and then modeling after is, how are other teams able to integrate their youth into the lineup and not miss a beat?
I think its probably all of the above depending on which player we are talking about.

Tolvanen I think was bad communication between him and Hynes.

Fiala I think was just a matter of him and Lavi not seeing eye to eye.

A guy like Parssinen, heck I don't know? Feels like a guy that just isn't getting a shot.

Fabbro feels a bit like a guy where coaches are wanting one thing and the player just doesn't have it, but because he was expected to be that he is being punished for just being solid.

Tomasino I think probably started as a bit of attitude problem, but I think now has turned into a case with the coaches where he can't be as good as everyone else to keep a spot, he's gotta be better.

I also think sometimes as much as draft position can get you opportunities, it also increases expectations. I kind of feel like Tomasino and Fabbro have a bit of that going on in some way.

I do think on the scouting side, which is something that maybe hasn't changed from Poile to Trotz is drafting guys who may not be the greatest skaters in the world. Now while raw speed isn't the end all be all, you look at the best players in the league over the last 10 years, and just about everyone of them can skate, and skate well. How many guys have we seen the day they are drafted have the comment " well he's not the best skater but hopefully that can get better ". Feels like its been more times than not.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
We've always struggled mightily to develop forwards (our best two in the last decade are Forsberg and....Novak? YUCK!) but what's even more concerning to me is defensemen. The last top 4 D we drafted were Jones 11 years ago (3rd overall, slam dunk) and Girard 8 years ago (didn't develop him).

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I do think if the organization is going to have a "grind mindset", then stop drafting players like Fabbro, Tolvanen, and Tomasino in the latter part of the 1st round. I'm not exactly sure how that doesn't also end up translating to Molendyk, Wood, and Kemell however. Draft L'Heureux and Surin, sure, they seem ready to go through brick walls and the staff will use them. But the other guys? :dunno:

Or do you just need these "softer" players to quietly play 4 years in the minors without complaining or asking for a bigger contract? In which case if you're Carrier you can still play even without the "grind"?

End of the day, I wish instead of any of that they'd just adopt a more objective perspective, let younger players with upside play and make whatever mistakes are normal for most players, and not ignore when older players with less upside make all the same mistakes. I wish the double standard would just go away so that we could evaluate players on an objective equal footing. But if that's not EVER going to happen... I guess as fans we can either resign ourselves to it or start losing interest... or both... :dunno:

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Arvy was right on the cusp, was debating if he qualified as "last decade". You lost me with the Turd, is that Fiala? I guess we developed him to an extent, but his peak definitely wasn't with us.
Smith. He started with us a couple years outside the decade but didn't develop into a legit top 6 type until right around that long ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad