Nashville Predators Talk - 2024/2025 Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
How's Novak looking at 2C? Will he stay there all year between Stammer & March?
He's looked good. He will start the year as the 2C between those guys and probably stay there for a bit also. Not much competition right now for that spot unless Pärssinen suddenly finds a new gear.

Reactions: Paulinbc

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Yeah, they fixed it.

1727750172435.png

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
Man, will the Preds ever get rid of that Turris contract! :mad: OMG! 4 more years including this one! $2M to sit on your @zz and eat bon-bons. If there is ever a HHOF for worst contracts ever, GMDP would have quite a few of them!

Reactions: hockey diva

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Eh none of the contracts still left bother me simply because at the time most of them made sense. They may have ended up bad for whatever reason but I don't recall too many of us being that upset about the Turris trade and contract at the time. He got hurt multiple times and then fell off a cliff. He's not the first player in history it happened too.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Eh none of the contracts still left bother me simply because at the time most of them made sense. They may have ended up bad for whatever reason but I don't recall too many of us being that upset about the Turris trade and contract at the time. He got hurt multiple times and then fell off a cliff. He's not the first player in history it happened too.
We're just lucky we don't still have Ellis and Subban on the books too, really.

Reactions: PredsV82

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
We're just lucky we don't still have Ellis and Subban on the books too, really.
Well Subban didn't have enough years left for his to still be around. Ellis on the other hand was a huge dodge. Now granted it really wouldn't have killed us cap wise because whether here or there he would have ended up LTIR, but I'm sure the owners are happy not to be paying on that one.

TBH the only one still floating around out there that could really hurt is if Weber just decided for some reason that a million bucks just wasn't worth jumping through the hoops anymore, but I doubt that happens.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Well Subban didn't have enough years left for his to still be around. Ellis on the other hand was a huge dodge. Now granted it really wouldn't have killed us cap wise because whether here or there he would have ended up LTIR, but I'm sure the owners are happy not to be paying on that one.

TBH the only one still floating around out there that could really hurt is if Weber just decided for some reason that a million bucks just wasn't worth jumping through the hoops anymore, but I doubt that happens.
Subban played 3 years in New Jersey as a "broken" player. So yeah, if we had been forced to buy him out after 2018-19, he'd still have been on the books for 2022-23, 2023-24, 2024-25. That trade was a great escape for Poile.

Ellis... tbh, he should have just let that guy walk and never signed him anyway. But given he did sign him, even if we got nothing in return as it turned out (Glass), then at least he escaped his potential mistake.

Hopefully the Johansen case file results in a termination that let's us off the hook for that one too.

Now.... in Year 4/5/6/whatever of the Saros contract... do we escape that one? :naughty::naughty:

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
I was happy when we acquired Turris and signed him. He had come off a good year and a good playoff run with the Sens. Seemed like a great fit at 2C. We badly needed more offensive talent at C outside of RyJo.

If I remember correctly, Poile badly wanted Duchene at that time, but Sakic wouldn't give him up w/o a King's ransom so he settled for Turris. Now here we are SEVEN years later paying both Turris and Duchene until 2028 to go somewhere else. This in on top of paying RyJo half his salary for, potentially, two years to go play elsewhere.

I give Poile full marks for trying desperately to fix the center position. At the time I agreed with RyJo's signing, Duchene's signing, and Turris's trade and signing. However, it can not be denied that these blew up spectacularly in Poile's face. This franchise is cursed when it comes to centers.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I was happy when we acquired Turris and signed him. He had come off a good year and a good playoff run with the Sens. Seemed like a great fit at 2C. We badly needed more offensive talent at C outside of RyJo.

If I remember correctly, Poile badly wanted Duchene at that time, but Sakic wouldn't give him up w/o a King's ransom so he settled for Turris. Now here we are SEVEN years later paying both Turris and Duchene until 2028 to go somewhere else. This in on top of paying RyJo half his salary for, potentially, two years to go play elsewhere.

I give Poile full marks for trying desperately to fix the center position. At the time I agreed with RyJo's signing, Duchene's signing, and Turris's trade and signing. However, it can not be denied that these blew up spectacularly in Poile's face. This franchise is cursed when it comes to centers.
You aren't wrong, its just not something I'm going to bust his chops over. Just about everyone of us agreed with the moves, so while it did blow up in his face it at least wasn't a situation like a PLD where he has bounced around and you question GM's sanity for paying him to start with.

I mean with Duchene everyone around the league was fussing because they felt like we got a discount even. He's still been productive as well, and frankly we are paying him because Trotz, not Poile, just had to have him gone. I know Poile has still be around but I kind of think that was one of those where Trotz wanted him gone no matter what, whether it made sense or not.

Subban played 3 years in New Jersey as a "broken" player. So yeah, if we had been forced to buy him out after 2018-19, he'd still have been on the books for 2022-23, 2023-24, 2024-25. That trade was a great escape for Poile.

Ellis... tbh, he should have just let that guy walk and never signed him anyway. But given he did sign him, even if we got nothing in return as it turned out (Glass), then at least he escaped his potential mistake.

Hopefully the Johansen case file results in a termination that let's us off the hook for that one too.

Now.... in Year 4/5/6/whatever of the Saros contract... do we escape that one? :naughty::naughty:
I don't ever recall there being talk of us buying Subban out though. Frankly I think Poile probably would have rode it out. Same for Duchene, I don't think Poile would have bought him out either.

Reactions: predfan24

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I'll still maintain that the biggest mistake in the Turris/Duchene situation was just not ponying up for Duchene when we made the Turris trade. It probably would've only taken adding Tolvanen into the mix to get Duchene rather than Turris, which seemed like a huge ask at the time but with hindsight would've been fine to give up.

Reactions: predfan24

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
Duchene had a good enough season in Dallas, Trotz just made a stylistic choice. You can't lay that a Poile's feet as a mistake.
I think Trotz wanted to make a statement once HE was in control and their were some players that would pay that price.

I agree Poile tried to fix the C problem and tried many different players:
Matt Cullen
Mike Ribeiro (started well but fell off a cliff)
RyJo
Nick Bonino
Kyle Turris
Granlund
Duchene
And now we are up to the current most players.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
Season preview from The Athletic

97.7 points
75% make playoffs
3% win the Cup

Their analytics model basically hates everyone except for Josi and Forsberg.
Stamkos is only slightly better defensively than playing down a man.
Skjei's production was as much a product of Carolina's system and it's going to be tough for him to match the impact McDonagh had.
Nyquist is a coattail rider and has zero chance of even coming close to last year's production.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I think Trotz wanted to make a statement once HE was in control and their were some players that would pay that price.

I agree Poile tried to fix the C problem and tried many different players:
Matt Cullen
Mike Ribeiro (started well but fell off a cliff)
RyJo
Nick Bonino
Kyle Turris
Granlund
Duchene
And now we are up to the current most players.
I think for the most part each one of them had a good season or two then would die off.

Ribeiro 62P season followed by a 50P then career crash.

RyJo has a long well documented up and down history here.

Granlund started out rough... had 1 good seasom under Hynes then got rough again.

Duchene is a center in the same way Stamkos is a center. Can they play it if needed? Yes. Is that ideally where you play them? No. Duchene started slow then had a really good year followed by a standard season before being bought out.

Turris 42P in 65 games the year we acquired him. Gets extended and turns to garbage

Makes me worry about RoR whose career was fading. He just had a good year but if he cant keep it up we may have some real issues considering the rest of the center depth.

97.7 points
75% make playoffs
3% win the Cup

Skjei's production was as much a product of Carolina's system and it's going to be tough for him to match the impact McDonagh had.
Nyquist is a coattail rider and has zero chance of even coming close to last year's production.
Whered they have skjei playing? If he is riding shotgun with Josi at even strength, i dont see how his production dips too much and he doesnt have a good season

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
Whered they have skjei playing? If he is riding shotgun with Josi at even strength, i dont see how his production dips too much and he doesnt have a good season

Forsberg - O'Rielly - Nyquist
Stamkos - Novak - Marchessault
Tomasino - Parssinen - Evangelista
Smith - Sissons - Jankowski

Skjei - Josi
Lauzon - Carrier
Stastney - Schenn

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Forsberg - O'Rielly - Nyquist
Stamkos - Novak - Marchessault
Tomasino - Parssinen - Evangelista
Smith - Sissons - Jankowski

Skjei - Josi
Lauzon - Carrier
Stastney - Schenn
Yeah i really dont see how he doesnt have a good season even if he is just riding Josi's coattails like they say Nyquist does.

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
I think for the most part each one of them had a good season or two then would die off.

Ribeiro 62P season followed by a 50P then career crash.

RyJo has a long well documented up and down history here.

Granlund started out rough... had 1 good seasom under Hynes then got rough again.

Duchene is a center in the same way Stamkos is a center. Can they play it if needed? Yes. Is that ideally where you play them? No. Duchene started slow then had a really good year followed by a standard season before being bought out.

Turris 42P in 65 games the year we acquired him. Gets extended and turns to garbage

Makes me worry about RoR whose career was fading. He just had a good year but if he cant keep it up we may have some real issues considering the rest of the center depth.

i think Novak has the potential to step
up to #1 center if ROR doesnt cut it … if that were to happen i’d shuffle to this

Forsberg-Novak-Marchasseault
Stamkos- Parsinnen-Nyquist
Tomasino-ROR-Evangelista
L’hereux- Mccarron- Smith

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019

97.7 points
75% make playoffs
3% win the Cup

That's right around where MoneyPuck has as too. Most of those analytics models also predict a steep decline after guys turn 30 so doesn't shock me they don't like us. I'll be interested to see how they evolve once the data starts to weigh the results of games this season rather than what they thing the results will be. In any case I don't think us being a wild card team is that bad of a prediction but I do think we can outperform it.

Legionnaire11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 12, 2007
Fort Wayne
atlantichockeyleague.com

Anyone know the specifics of this?

I've been kind of assuming that since the Flyers terminated his contract, that it was a done deal. Now the grievance still needs to be resolved, but the resolution would be monetary compensation (if any) rather than having the contract restored IMO or am I wrong about that potential outcome?

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Anyone know the specifics of this?

I've been kind of assuming that since the Flyers terminated his contract, that it was a done deal. Now the grievance still needs to be resolved, but the resolution would be monetary compensation (if any) rather than having the contract restored IMO or am I wrong about that potential outcome?
No idea but the Lehner situation seems like it might be comparable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad