TSN: Nashville Aquires James Neal from Pittsburgh for Patric Hornqvist and Nick Spaling

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Infinite Jest

Apr 26, 2013
I guess I haven't seen enough of Neal other than the thugishness that makes the rounds. I'm not at all happy about this. Losing Hornqvist really sucks. Don't talk to me about skills. NO ONE worked harder night in and night out than Hornsy. My biggest fear at the moment is that this is it. This is all Poile has planned. On the other hand, if it's one piece in a larger puzzle and more moves/an FA signing come down the pike I'll change my tune. But on its own and in a vacuum, sorry, hate it. In my mind you just don't trade heart and soul guys like Hornqvist.

Preds have been a team full of "heart and soul" players forever. What has it gotten them?

braindead

Jul 14, 2005
The cookie spoke
Let this quote soak in:

Over the past three seasons, [Neal] has scored 88 goals, which ranks fifth, behind Alex Ovechkin, Steven Stamkos, Corey Perry and Phil Kessel."

Sure, he plays with Malkin but there are a few other guys out there with world class linemates that aren't ranked in or close to the top 5.

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
Let this quote soak in:

Over the past three seasons, [Neal] has scored 88 goals, which ranks fifth, behind Alex Ovechkin, Steven Stamkos, Corey Perry and Phil Kessel."

Sure, he plays with Malkin but there are a few other guys out there with world class linemates that aren't ranked in or close to the top 5.

Sure he has a great shot and all but what this team lacks is someone that can create those chances for him. We need a playmaking center period. If we get Stastny I'll like this move more but without a playmaker getting Neal those shots he isn't going to score 30 let alone 40.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Sure he has a great shot and all but what this team lacks is someone that can create those chances for him. We need a playmaking center period. If we get Stastny I'll like this move more but without a playmaker getting Neal those shots he isn't going to score 30 let alone 40.

Neal scored at a 28 goal pace his first 3 seasons in the NHL with Dallas, had 55 points in his 2nd season.

He's gotten better offensively since then, to say he couldn't get 30 by himself is a longshot. He should still be able score 35-40 with Stastny, Malkin padded Neal's assist totals more than anything. Neal's shot is top 5 in the league, like Semin, he needs someone to create space for him to get it off.

This is coming from a Pens fan

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
People want an elite scorer. ... but not THAT elite scorer. Some people just like to complain it seems.

On the day we swapped Horny and Spaling for Neil and Fiala.....think about that. That's a great day in my opinion.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Not many people in this league have the shot Neal possesses. Having him and Smith on the PP will give the preds alot more options.

2 beer salute comin your way Horns. Makes this team better overall though which is the gameplan.

RaiderDoug

Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
HQ will be missed. He was a one trick pony - even though he was very good at that particular trick (standing in front of the net and tipping the puck in).

But we got the best player in the trade, gave up nothing significant in addition to HQ, saved money and cap space, and got a dynamic forward.

If he plays chippy - so much the better. Matt Cooke is still in Minnesota, The Blues are still big and physical. We could use some more nastiness.

Raspewtin

Stay at home defenseman hater
May 30, 2013
How the hell did Poile pull this off? Despite being an *******, Neal is the best player in this deal by FAR.

Great job guys. Keeps Neal away from the Rangers too :).

BrookswasHere44

Jun 22, 2009
Enjoy Nealer, you should love him if he drops his laziness and bone head ways but I'll miss him greatly. Hopefully I grow to love Horny

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Enjoy Nealer, you should love him if he drops his laziness and bone head ways but I'll miss him greatly. Hopefully I grow to love Horny

I was coming to say the same thing. Geno's nick name for him is lazy.

Beyond that he should be great for you guys.

We'll see from our end of Horn and Stal. Pretty much a wait and see this entire summer.

Oh... ask him if he still does his curls for the girls. Haha You'll have fun with him.

braindead

Jul 14, 2005
The cookie spoke

Colin Wilson was drafted to be just that- he is a pass first guy. Will it work? Dunno. But it could. He has never had anyone of note to pass to and rarely played center but I think his chance is coming.

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007

I disagree. I have seen our playmakers set up our supposed scorers time and again and they just can't finish. We have desperately needed a sniper who can get a puck past NHL goalies

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I disagree. I have seen our playmakers set up our supposed scorers time and again and they just can't finish. We have desperately needed a sniper who can get a puck past NHL goalies

We have playmakers????

hockey diva

Lady Healer of Rohan
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
I am reading some comments that indicate Neal may have a work ethic issue as in not having one. As well as having a sense of entitlement. Wonder if he is going to pout and be a problem in the locker room.

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
if we can't get Stas,about Hemsky on Neal's RW??

Neal-Wilson-Hemsky
Cullen-Jarnkrok-Smith
Stalberg-Fisher-Forsberg
Watson-Goose-Nystrom

Looking through cap geek, I realized Hemsky was a UFA. He would be a great opposite winger for Neal, pure playmaker if he stays healthy. Would love to pick him up

razor ray

May 8, 2011
Not sure what the hell Pitt was thinking here. First they cant hire a coach and now they do this trade? Great day to be a Pred fan as this was a steal.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
The only objective issue I have with this trade is that we didn't increase the number of consistent goal scorers on the roster. We shipped off our only consistent goal scorer (four seasons of 40 or more games, each of them 20+ goals scored) for an upgrade. Increasing the number of top end scorers still needs addressing via trade, FA, or hoping we get that next guy to step up (Jarnkrok? Forsberg? Sissons? Leipsic?) ... assuming that Smith doesn't drop off.

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I am reading some comments that indicate Neal may have a work ethic issue as in not having one. As well as having a sense of entitlement. Wonder if he is going to pout and be a problem in the locker room.

Well if he can average PPG with no work ethic I think we can just let him be lazy while he scores 30 goals...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad