Speculation: Name the players who are likely to be Waive this October? for the first time or no.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Kyle Clifford as close as it comes, but Reaves is a top 3 enforcer in the NHL so hard to replace that with someone
He's pretty much been in the AHL the last few years hasn't he?
For the Devils 2 of DeSimone, Hatakka or Kovacevic will certainly hit waivers. Maybe Nolan Foote and hopefully one of MacDermid or Bastian.
Also Zboril and Hutchinson if the end up signed.
Has MacDermid ever played wing for you guys or only on D? I know that he's an extremely limited player but I wouldn't mind having him to kick some ass when the need arises.
The problem with Kostin is that 2M cap hit. I'd have him back on the Oilers in a heartbeat if his contract was 1M or less.
For 1 year. If we could fit him in via waivers I'd happily do it and then maybe he gets wise and takes like $1.25-$1.5 million AAV for 2-3 years to stay around this time.
What kind player? One that doesn’t play? Zero chance we take reaves
He brings something to the table that we lack. Yes he's overpaid but I still see our team as being too soft especially with Kane out.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Has MacDermid ever played wing for you guys or only on D? I know that he's an extremely limited player but I wouldn't mind having him to kick some ass when the need arises.
He's only played wing, I think they'd be better served with him in the press box most nights. I'd hate to see him be a regular and can't fathom why they decided to give him a 3 year extension.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
What about Alex Steeves? Is he eligible? Is he worth the gamble?

He'll likely get waived. Worth a gamble? Depends on who your team is. Under an ideal situation, he might make an ok 3rd liner, on an offensive 3rd line. I don't really think there is tremendous upside there though, and he isn't the strongest defensive player either.

Reactions: Mike Jones

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He's only played wing, I think they'd be better served with him in the press box most nights. I'd hate to see him be a regular and can't fathom why they decided to give him a 3 year extension.
Does he hit to hurt and instigate physicality?

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Maybe it's not likely per se, but if Justin Barron doesn't take a step forward this year there are a number of guys chomping at the bit for his spot.

I'm sure Hughes will try to avoid doing it, but one of Reinbacher/Mailloux (or Barron himself) might force his hand.

He'd be a steal on waivers.

Reactions: hn777 and Nevins

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Kings will be waiving two of Moverare, Englund, Caleb Jones or Burroughs on defense. Copley likely waived in net. Forwards look safe, unless Kaliyev signs and either he or Turcotte or Thomas struggles in camp.
Id love if the sens could pick up Englund if he gets waived. Who do you think they move on from?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I don't think he gets waived because he seems like a Berube type player but there is a part of me that wonders about Ryan Reaves.

I look at Toronto and I see Cowan coming up, and Minten is coming up, Minten already made the team last year so he's close.

Then you got Lorentz on a PTO,

You got Alex Nylander on an AHL deal

Reaves job doesn't feel as secure, especially if Lorentz gets signed, the other 3 would play higher in the lineup.

Lorentz is DIRECT competition
Hf wishful thinking.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Id love if the sens could pick up Englund if he gets waived. Who do you think they move on from?
It's going to be an interesting camp.

Best guess is:
Anderson-Doughty
Gavrikov-Spence
Edmundson-Clarke

They will likely carry 8d and 13f, so Burroughs is probably safe as RHD cover in case Clarke needs a breather. That leaves Englund, Moverare and Jones. Englund is a diet Edmundson, but you can't plan on more than 60 games out of him. Do they keep the muscle and risk playing them both should something happen to Anderson or Gavrikov? Or do you keep Moverare who is essentially a diet Gavrikov and risk having no muscle at all on the backend when Edmundson inevitably gets hurt and Spence and Clarke thrive enough to keep Burroughs in the press box? Or does Caleb Jones offer just enough difference there to avoid the redundancies?

Rob Blake hedges every bet, and it's the chief reason why the kids have been staying too long in the AHL. Really, there is no obvious route here.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Hf wishful thinking.

I don't actually wish that, I like Reaves he started off slow but got better as last season progressed.

But they have a lot of younger players coming to camp to earn a spot. Reaves will be 38 in January he's nearing the end.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
What about Turcotte?

Never been a fan of his development

He would need to have a really bad camp to be waived. He is signed to a three-year, one-way contract and will probably settle into a bottom-six energy role for the next three years, which I think he will do well in.

The whole development debacle was all-time bad from the start—from Rob Blake overriding his scouting staff on draft night to take Turcotte over Zegras, to the absurd decision to sign him after a disappointing freshman season and place him in the AHL as a teenager, to not pulling the plug sooner and recouping some of the lost draft capital, and finally the poor deployment in the minors. Another masterclass all around from Rob Blake.

That said, in defense of the Kings, it's incredible that a player who produced as Turcotte did as a 17-year-old in the NTDP would completely collapse offensively at higher levels. He had a higher points-per-game as a draft-eligible player in the USHL than Hughes, Caufield, Boldy, and Zegras, but five years later, he's just not in the same stratosphere at the NHL level.

I think any team who took him was going to end up with a disappointment, but I still think the Kings completely cratered any chance of a 2C or even a 3C with the decision to pull him from college. You look around at some of the players who played for two years and how much they benefitted from it, and then you see the Kings pulling a player who had 1 goal in conference play, it's very frustrating as a Kings fan with how they handle young players.

Last edited:

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
The whole development debacle was all-time bad from the start—from Rob Blake overriding his scouting staff on draft night to take Turcotte over Zegras, to the absurd decision to sign him after a disappointing freshman season and place him in the AHL as a teenager, to not pulling the plug sooner and recouping some of the lost draft capital, and finally the poor deployment in the minors. Another masterclass all around from Rob Blake.
I know quite a bit about the NCAA

That was one of worst development choices made by a front office, as bad as mittelstadt and Jost
he literally said himself, he had a challenging season with injuries............ and LA decides to pull him, i mean Canfield was their best player and he stayed.
You need to be leaving the NCAA with confidence when you leave a league, unless you're getting kicked out because of age.

i remember all the NCAA analysts being like "good luck", when he was struggling with the physicality of the NCAA and decided to move up a level

Reactions: Phion Keneuf

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Maybe it's not likely per se, but if Justin Barron doesn't take a step forward this year there are a number of guys chomping at the bit for his spot.

I'm sure Hughes will try to avoid doing it, but one of Reinbacher/Mailloux (or Barron himself) might force his hand.

He'd be a steal on waivers.

I think he's a guy that most likely to get traded than waived. Even if the return is bad its better than waivers.

Reactions: Canadienna

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I think he's a guy that most likely to get traded than waived. Even if the return is bad its better than waivers.

Yeah. Even if one of the young defencemen for the Habs forces their hand with Barron, i definitely think there'd be a team or two out there that would be willing to toss a late pick or something their way, just to jump the waivers queue and make sure they get him. At least, barring an absolutely catastrophic camp or something. Still too much potential at a premium position where a lot of teams would like an upgrade, and still reasonably young.

I think he'll be given every opportunity to stick though. Would have to have a terrible camp and have at least one of the guys behind him putting in an incredibly strong camp, in order to really force that situation. They also know that there's very likely going to be more roster spots on defence opening up if/when guys like Savard are dealt at the deadline at the latest. So even if a guy like Mailloux has a really strong camp, i think there's probably still the preferred option of just letting him continue to marinate a little longer in the AHL while they let Barron figure out if he's going to be a keeper or not.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
I know quite a bit about the NCAA

That was one of worst development choices made by a front office, as bad as mittelstadt and Jost
he literally said himself, he had a challenging season with injuries............ and LA decides to pull him, i mean Canfield was their best player and he stayed.
You need to be leaving the NCAA with confidence when you leave a league, unless you're getting kicked out because of age.

i remember all the NCAA analysts being like "good luck", when he was struggling with the physicality of the NCAA and decided to move up a level

The Kings don't handle player development on a case-by-case basis. Prospect development in the Kings organization is a one-size fits all, pay your dues, learn the system in the AHL, get players into the AHL asap. The only exception are older college players, the Kings have felt comfortable putting them right into the NHL (Lizotte, Iafallo, Laferriere). The Kings have had Clarke, Byfield, Turcotte, Kaliyev, Helenius, Kupari and Bjornfot all play in the AHL as teenagers and way more games overall than they would have seen elsewhere, and the results have been woefully underwhelming considering where many of these players were taken in the draft.

Had the Kings drafted Boldy or Caufield they would have pulled (or maybe tried in Boldy's case) them from college, put them on the Reign and who knows if either player is where they are today.

A guy like Wyatt Johnston would not have happened yet for the Kings, he would have been sent back to junior at 19, and would have spent at least half if not all of this past season on the Reigh, paying his dues and learning the system. Instead, he was drafted by an organization with a competent management and development staff and he has 200 games of NHL experience.

Welcome to life as a Kings fan.

Last edited:

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Name the players who are likely to be Waive this October? for the first time or no.
For the Habs: Rafael Harvey Pinard (when he is no longer injured)
Pezetta,Barré Boulet
I don't think Habs waive Pezetta and it feels more than likely between trades and/or injuries they'll be able to activate RHP when he's healthy in like December

I would waive Josh Anderson unless he looks amazing but they won't

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
:habs

They weren't scared to waive Armia last year, I'm thinking they probably do the same with Josh Anderson this year. Beyond useless is an understatement. He had 7 points(2 goals) in 33 games in 2024. He's not even a shadow of his former self. Waived or weird LTIR shenanigans but the guy is done as an NHLer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad