GDT: My second GDT! Winnipeg Jets @ Chicago Blackhawks

Status
Not open for further replies.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
My threshold for generational is much higher than that. There are other players in Kanes generation that were better hockey players than him. Not just a couple, but over a handful. You have to be top of your generation consistently year in and year out to be considered generational. Where you are from plays zero part in it.
That's fair. From your standard, generational players are:

* Howe
* Orr
* Gretzky
* Lemieux
* Crosby
* Roy
* Hull

Players who not only the best player of that generation, but also changed the game. That's a higher bar than mine ... which is fine.

I guess Patrick Kane is better defined as having a generational SKILL.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
That's fair. From your standard, generational players are:

* Howe
* Orr
* Gretzky
* Lemieux
* Crosby
* Roy
* Hull

Players who not only the best player of that generation, but also changed the game. That's a higher bar than mine ... which is fine.
Looks pretty good, but I would add Ovechkin.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
What is it about hockey where this generational argument keeps coming up? I never hear about it in other sports. It's so weird. And to quote Tommy Lee Jones in The Fugitive...
200w.webp

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
What is it about hockey where this generational argument keeps coming up? I never hear about it in other sports. It's so weird. And to quote Tommy Lee Jones in The Fugitive...
200w.webp
I think people confuse generational skill vs. generational player.

To be fair, in this generation, Crosby, along with Ovi, are hands down the greatest players in this generation. With even Ovi there are questions because of his team's failures in the playoffs (until last year).

Patrick Kane definitely has a generational skill. His puck handling could be considered the greatest of all time. That said, he's not the best player of his generation.

To be honest, McDavid is the next generational talent. He will take the mantle from Crosby. Everyone else, from what I see, are second.

Last edited:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
My threshold for generational is much higher than that. There are other players in Kanes generation that were better hockey players than him. Not just a couple, but over a handful. You have to be top of your generation consistently year in and year out to be considered generational. Where you are from plays zero part in it. He may be an American generational hockey talent, but not NHL.
who from his generation outside of Malkin, Ovi and Crosby has been a better player than Kane?? I am just generally curious as to the "over a handful" you stated...

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
Oh boy. I didn’t mean to spark the always controversial generational agruments. Anyway, funny thing we played the jets last year on this same day and beat them 5-1. This was one game before Crawford was out for the season.

goldenbladz1

Feb 11, 2015
Ovechkin has a shot at the all time goals record, and is pretty likely going to finish in the top 3-5, that's generational

I have to agree. Ovi is there with Crosby as generational like Gretzky and Mario. Mcdavid is all by himself at the moment

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Kane is a generational player. His track record of consistently elite production is up there with Sid.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Kane better fits the mold of a franchise player rather than a generational player.

However the thing that sets Kane apart from other franchise players is that he changed the way the game is played. I don't know if that makes him generational, but it certainly makes him more influential than a standard franchise player.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Kane better fits the mold of a franchise player rather than a generational player.

However the thing that sets Kane apart from other franchise players is that he changed the way the game is played. I don't know if that makes him generational, but it certainly makes him more influential than a standard franchise player.
The issue is our definition of "generational."

For some, "generational" is the best player of that generation. For others, it's having a dramatic impact on the game during that era.

For example, is Mark Messier a generational player? For some ... YES. He was THE CAPTAIN. The ultimate winner. He dramatically impacted the game during his era. However, Gretzky was the greatest talent and hands down the greatest player of his era, if not all time. He changed how the world viewed hockey.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
200w.webp
It's said about RB prospects all the time in the NFL

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I always heard about it as a prospect term until people talk about it as careers.

Like Lindros was a generational prospect and Crosby was after the next best generational prospect, then McDavid. And it goes that way in the NFL. Like Andrew Luck was seen as that generational next great QB best since Manning who was called so since Elway.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I always heard about it as a prospect term until people talk about it as careers.

Like Lindros was a generational prospect and Crosby was after the next best generational prospect, then McDavid. And it goes that way in the NFL. Like Andrew Luck was seen as that generational next great QB best since Manning who was called so since Elway.
I think it's safe to say Patrick Mahomes is a generational QB. He is no fluke. Some of the things he does on the field is mind boggling.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
My threshold for generational is much higher than that. There are other players in Kanes generation that were better hockey players than him. Not just a couple, but over a handful. You have to be top of your generation consistently year in and year out to be considered generational. Where you are from plays zero part in it. He may be an American generational hockey talent, but not NHL.

Who are the "over a handful" of players better than Kane?

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
In terms of build Hughes might be like Kane but stylistically it seems Hughes tries to play more like McDavid whereas Kane slows the game down. At least I took that away from an interview Hughes did at some point. Said that he grew up watching McDavid and his development when he played for the Toronto Marlboros.

Would be cool to see Kane mentor another american kid in Hughes. Quinn seemed to be a fan of Kane and how he captained the USA team last summer.

Last edited:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
In terms of build Hughes might be like Kane but stylistically it seems Hughes tries to play more like McDavid whereas Kane slows the game down. At least I took that away from an interview Hughes did at some point. Said that he grew up watching McDavid and his development when he played for the Toronto Marlboros.

Would be cool to see Kane mentor another american kid in Hughes. Quinn seemed to be a fan of Kane and how he captained the USA team last summer.
they could be linemates at the World Championships this year if Kane wants to go again...that would be awesome to see!

Reactions: Toews2Bickell
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad