OT: Music Sharing Thread 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
There is always the question, ...is there a cover better than the original?
Since I was a kid, havent heard any band yet, slay an original like the leslie spit treo did this

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Since I was a kid, havent heard any band yet, slay an original like the leslie spit treo did this

I think you just “birthed” a new, future thread topic.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Been on a music tour the last few weeks: Wacken, Bloodstock, etc. :yo:

There's an LA Band out in Europe rn with strong Edmonton connections (drummer & singer) : All Hail the Yeti
They have a hired gun on bass who's part of Edmonton's Royal Tusk

Highlight was also Zeal & Ardor (Swiss avant-garde metal)

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

Great version. Ended up buying the CD a few years back since it wasn't streamable, but the wrong has since been righted.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I always thought Showdown was from Saskatchewan but you're correct they were from Medicine Hat apparently. The song was written by Gaye Delorme who was from Edmonton.

Gaye Delorme also co-wrote Earache My Eye by Cheech and Chong.
Never knew this connection. I did hear Chong was a Bricklayer here and I come from a Bricklaying family. My Bro said he worked with Chong once. My bro was big at stories though. ;)

That Earache my Eye song is lightning. heh, always liked it.

Last edited:
Reactions: brentashton

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Never knew this connection. I did hear Chong was a Bricklayer here and I come from a Bricklaying family. My Bro said he worked with Chong once. My bro was big at stories though. ;)

That Earache my Eye song is lightning. heh, always liked it.
Maybe he meant to say that he was working at being more like Chong?!

Argument could be made for this one by another brilliant Canadian performer.

So Margo Timmons is on your go to, but Greg Keelor isnt? She’s a female version of Keelor (and for the record I like the Junkies too, very deep lyrics).

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Maybe he meant to say that he was working at being more like Chong?!

So Margo Timmons is on your go to, but Greg Keelor isnt? She’s a female version of Keelor (and for the record I like the Junkies too, very deep lyrics).
Yeah. Like I say its subjective and whether you like the singer. But I really like the Junkies musically as well and how they recorded. Just a deeper sound. I mentioned there should be intersection, I should like something like Blue Rodeo, just never did.

Yeah my bro was like Cheech and Chong put together.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Yeah. Like I say its subjective and whether you like the singer. But I really like the Junkies musically as well and how they recorded. Just a deeper sound. I mentioned there should be intersection, I should like something like Blue Rodeo, just never did.

Yeah my bro was like Cheech and Chong put together.
Dave’s not here, man.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Been on a music tour the last few weeks: Wacken, Bloodstock, etc. :yo:

There's an LA Band out in Europe rn with strong Edmonton connections (drummer & singer) : All Hail the Yeti
They have a hired gun on bass who's part of Edmonton's Royal Tusk

Highlight was also Zeal & Ardor (Swiss avant-garde metal)

I read Wacken was a real mud hole this year. I’d like to do a big Euro multi day metal fest but I think I’m at the age where camping out means staying only a 4 star Marriott and rather than standing near the mosh pit I’m sitting in a nice comfy chair while doing near bald hairless whips.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I read Wacken was a real mud hole this year. I’d like to do a big Euro multi day metal fest but I think I’m at the age where camping out means staying only a 4 star Marriott and rather than standing near the mosh pit I’m sitting in a nice comfy chair while doing near bald hairless whips.
I hear you on this one. Camping gets a bit old at this age. Its a nice thought once in awhile but then you're out there in the rain and mud and wondering why. One of the campgrounds we were at, North of Calgary, they had to get a tractor out to help people move their trailers out of the swamp that had been created with 3 days rain. That was fun. We're not fully contained in our tent trailer so we had to wear high rubber boots and wade to the washrooms...never really knowing how deep the next step would be. People took picnic tables to make a walkway through the worst lakes in the campground. Thats how deep the water was in some places. ffs.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
It rained pretty much all of July in Germany. It was a very rough start for WOA with constant rain, huge traffic jams, and eventually them shutting the doors to ~35k fans. But still there were ~50k fans there, and by Thurs/Fri the weather co-operated.

They told us they were pulling EVERY car/bus/truck that wanted to move with tractors. I can't tell you how many huge steel plates I saw (no idea how they got all those and got them in position). They brought in tons of wood chips & gravel and pumped water out. By Saturday the ground was only spongy, not even really wet and muddy.

You can stay in hotels nearby or camper/RV for festivals like WOA & BOA. Some festivals like Rock am Ring even have little villages of lodges/cabins &/or pre-setup tent areas.

Lots of people also bring chairs to sit in and watch the shows from a distance. The sound is so good it's really quite ok!

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
It rained pretty much all of July in Germany. It was a very rough start for WOA with constant rain, huge traffic jams, and eventually them shutting the doors to ~35k fans. But still there were ~50k fans there, and by Thurs/Fri the weather co-operated.

They told us they were pulling EVERY car/bus/truck that wanted to move with tractors. I can't tell you how many huge steel plates I saw (no idea how they got all those and got them in position). They brought in tons of wood chips & gravel and pumped water out. By Saturday the ground was only spongy, not even really wet and muddy.

You can stay in hotels nearby or camper/RV for festivals like WOA & BOA. Some festivals like Rock am Ring even have little villages of lodges/cabins &/or pre-setup tent areas.

Lots of people also bring chairs to sit in and watch the shows from a distance. The sound is so good it's really quite ok!

Sounds like Wacken was pretty nuts with all that happening! Yes I’d need a hotel room for sure lol. Probably for me the best way to enjoy one of the festivals is to watch the video of them from my easy chair lol.

Who were the headliners this year? I think Maiden was one?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Been listening to random stuff on that channel since that song blew up. Lots of good stuff on there.

This kid is talented.

Liking Drayton Farley's stuff too.

Seems a little young to be writing and singing songs with such experience and heartache., but hey, very good.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
This just randomly popped up for me on Youtube. It's pretty wild what AI can do right now. I've heard AI covers with Cartman and Kenny singing Evanescence or a Spongebob character singing something, but this is the first serious song I've seen.

The original:

Reactions: brentashton

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
This just randomly popped up for me on Youtube. It's pretty wild what AI can do right now. I've heard AI covers with Cartman and Kenny singing Evanescence or a Spongebob character singing something, but this is the first serious song I've seen.

The original:

Colter is Sask Premier (past)Brad Wall’s son. He is a throwback’s throwback for sure. Definite outlaw. Brad also owns Waylon Jennings old Cadillac (and a sweet Coronet). Love Colter’s singing and music.

Reactions: McDNicks17

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Sounds like Wacken was pretty nuts with all that happening! Yes I’d need a hotel room for sure lol. Probably for me the best way to enjoy one of the festivals is to watch the video of them from my easy chair lol.

Who were the headliners this year? I think Maiden was one?
Maiden played Friday, but so did Megadeath and Deicide
Saturday - Dropkick Murphys headlined I guess, but also Voivod was playing another stage

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Maiden played Friday, but so did Megadeath and Deicide
Saturday - Dropkick Murphys headlined I guess, but also Voivod was playing another stage

Nice! Murphys would be great its one band I haven't seen live yet.

I swear Mr Dressup would probably get cancelled nowadays.

Mr Rogers would be, he did his Boys and Girls song and that would send todays lunatic fringe right off the deep end and would probably be arrested in Canada for hate speech.

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

I swear Mr Dressup would probably get cancelled nowadays.
Crazy times. This was an anthem when I was growing up. Everyone sang it, and I mean EVERYONE. Even the so called fat bottomed girls chimed in as it brought them inclusivity and acceptance of some note. Now, it eventually will be erased from all musical libraries. Except mine. I think I'll start lists of all things cancelled, (like a time capsule), and someday, generations will open it and go," hey that's pretty good shit, or he wasn't a terrible guy, by today's standards."

Can't believe they haven't erased Toby Keith's "Runnin' Block" yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad