OT: Music discussion thread

David Lunch

Apr 11, 2018
*stands in the corner, looks at shoes…*
Uhh, what did you all think of the new Floating Points, The Smile, Four Tet’s “Wingdings” alias, and Jon Hopkins new albums? 😅

shuchukfan

Mar 11, 2015
OC
The last two concerts I've been to were The Afghan Whigs and The Church at the House of Blues in Anaheim and The Killers playing all of Hot Fuss (and more) at Caesar's Palace. The Church completely blew me away. First time seeing them live and I can't wait to see them again.

One of my favorite set of shows was Ween doing three nights at the Brooklyn Bowl in Vegas quite a few years back. Damn, they were amazing. 3 nights and they didn't repeat a single song over those shows. Probably the most drugged-out crowd I've ever been in as well. At least most people were cool and into sharing. :DD

I think I have about seven shows on the horizon that I have tickets to: Sondre Lerche, Velocity Girl, Okean Elzy, Molchat Doma, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Coldplay and Oasis (if they don't break up again by then).

Hendrydoso

Apr 30, 2007
Sacramento
Here’s one for the metal heads, Cannibal Corpse or Pig Destroyer. I honestly always leant more towards Pig Destroyer but I saw Cannibal Corpse live recently and they were f***ing awesome.
I was on a tour that Cannibal Corpse was on, I never did get into their stuff, despite seeing them nightly, or maybe because...the fuzzbox vocals just never did it for me.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I don't understand how people watch bands at arenas and sit far away. I've done it a few times but it's just not the same as being in a club or a small theater. Obviously when bands get huge they have to play larger places to allow as much as the fan base to attend. It's just not the same though.
Agreed. When I was a kid I saw a a concert and it was far away so I had no idea what was going on. Since that time, if I can help it, I get pit or floor, whether playing wristband games or using a ticket agency. Same with Kings games, I got a free ticket but didn’t enjoy it because it was far away. So now I only take free tickets if they’re box seats and if I go to a game, no matter playoff or regular season, I try to sit near the glass.

In 2012 I had a seat for game 4 when the Kings were up 3-0. The days before the game I could have gotten 5 digits for my ticket (my seat was in the “celebrity” section) but I wanted to go.

I’m a bit nearsighted so sitting close helps a lot!

^Yeah I don't do the 300's either. I'm officially an elitest in that regard. I prefer the PR level due to creature comforts but I like sitting closer too. Although, I have a client that has seats like 4 rows from the glass between the blue line and the face off circles on the bench side and it's hard to see the other end of the ice. Actually, you have to look up at the screens most of the time. Sitting on the glass in the corner in both Edmonton and Vancouver was an awesome experience! I went two years ago on the Western Canada road trip following the Kings.

Back to music, does anyone like Pinback? I saw them at the Sound in Del Mar last weekend playing the full record Summer of Abaddon for the 20th anniversary. The venue was cool.. check it out if you have a chance.

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
^^^^ 100% agree. I'm maybe spoiled. But I can't stand big, major concerts. Small venues or nothing for me. But i'm also not a fan of older bands. I prefer younger, hungry bands. Even if they are so polished. A broken guitar string is a bonus in my book lol.
Speaking of which, this summer I went to a show at the Bellwether in DTLA/East LA. Wow, this place is great. Super freaking clean. Like i enjoyed going to the bathroom lol. I think it was bought a couple years ago and remodeled into a restaurant/venue. Getting parking, getting out -- wow, what a breeze (cheap parking too). It's like you are not in LA. Felt like i was in some random nice venue in Oregon/Washington. I can't wait to go back and see another show there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad