OT: Music discussion thread

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
OMG Fenders -- i remember around 1984-85 going to my first show about 15 years old and scared shxtlxss. I was much more afraid of the skinheads and getting jumped in the pit than i was at my mom finding out that i was there. I don't even remember who played that night.

U-Genes was another place i saw many shows for unknown or up-in-coming bands. Back in the day when there wasn't crowds though. hardly any good looking chicks either back then in the punk scene unfortunately.
There was a small bar in Anaheim i think called the Doll House. Man i liked that place for some reason. Getting drunk beforehand by the trains. Good times.

Reactions: Buddy The Elf

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
That's awesome. I wonder if I saw you play with them. I thought they were pretty good. Original material was good, but I really enjoyed their covers of The Boxer by Simon and Garfunkel and Strength by 7 Seconds. I'm trying to remember if I saw them play at Cup of J in Pomona or just hung out with them there.

Dominic, the bass player (I think), was the older brother of one of my friends growing up. I shot a concert of theirs at 369 with multiple cameras and edited it together in the late 90's. I sent a copy to Kirk, the drummer, but that was probably my last contact with them. I should convert it and upload it to Youtube sometime.

I remember seeing Bad Religion at the Palladium back in 1993. Green Day, Rancid and Seaweed opened for them. Such an awesome show. There was a time when Bad Religion were the band I had seen live the most.

Does anyone remember their first concert? Mine was New Order, PIL and The Sugarcubes in '89 at Irvine Meadows. A month later, at that same venue, was Love & Rockets with The Godfathers. A month a half later, The Cure at Dodger stadium with Love & Rockets, Pixies and Shellyan Orphan. That was a great stretch.

First concert: Boyz II Men :laugh:

First concert that I actually wanted to be at: blink-182 / Less Than Jake / Frenzal Rhomb / 22 Jacks / Home Grown / The Hippos at the san bernardino orange show. rode my damn bike! parents were pissed.

I basically spent a
OMG Fenders -- i remember around 1984-85 going to my first show about 15 years old and scared shxtlxss. I was much more afraid of the skinheads and getting jumped in the pit than i was at my mom finding out that i was there. I don't even remember who played that night.

U-Genes was another place i saw many shows for unknown or up-in-coming bands. Back in the day when there wasn't crowds though. hardly any good looking chicks either back then in the punk scene unfortunately.
There was a small bar in Anaheim i think called the Doll House. Man i liked that place for some reason. Getting drunk beforehand by the trains. Good times.

I just drove by Linda's Doll Hut a week or two ago. It's still there!

Just remembering a few other cool venues from my era... the Barn at UCR, the Detroit Bar or Club Mesa (I think) in Costa mesa and the PCH club in Wilmington. The PCH club was probably the closest thing to being at a punk show in the 80's. It was disgusting and in a horrible area. Saw lots of great hardcore shows there in the late 90's. I saw At The Drive in there in 1999.

Anyone ever go up shows at the pickle patch in Goleta? I'm not sure how old that place was but it was great in the late 90's.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus
First concert: Boyz II Men :laugh:

First concert that I actually wanted to be at: blink-182 / Less Than Jake / Frenzal Rhomb / 22 Jacks / Home Grown / The Hippos at the san bernardino orange show. rode my damn bike! parents were pissed.

You just gave me a flashback. The Orange Show, the Dome at the Orange Show and the San Bernardino Arena. I went to a show at the San Bernardino Arena sometime around 1997. It might've been Misfits, Sick of it All and H2O. We parked at a Food 4 Less next to the Arena and when we came out every car had their windows smashed except mine which was parked directly under a light. We had parked there when the sun was still out so that wasn't intentional. Some guy even had his dirty laundry stolen. San Bernardino might be the most ghetto place in So Cal.

Sick of it All was one of my favorite bands growing up. I just found out the Lou Koller has throat cancer. Donate to his Go Fund Me if you care. Revelation also released a benefit repress of their first 7" which I bought.

Reactions: Matt13

Matt13

Jul 9, 2004
I think you might be a bit older than me. I'm 44 - graduated in 1998. I started going to small shows when I got to high school in 1995. I don't know if you went to shows at the YAC in Claremont but good lord what a spoil of riches that was in hindsight. They were all FREE too! I would wager to guess we have definitely crossed paths as I was at that Sick of it All show at the Showcase in 1997 and at least one of those Avail shows. I also remember seeing them at the Whisky a few months later with AFI opening. I'll never forget Davey Havok with bleach blonde hair and X's on his hands in the mosh pit. Years later I saw Quicksand open for Deftones at the Palladium and Rick Rodney from Strife was in the mosh pit. I was definitely at that Jimmy Eat World show in 1999 and if I'm not mistaken I think Rocket From The Crypt might have opened for them??

EDIT: I just found an 8mm tape that I recorded in 1997 at the YAC with Far on it. I hope it still plays. I'll upload it to YouTube if it does.

I did go to shows at the (Claremont) colleges. I know I saw Rhythm Collision at Pitzer in some rec room. I don't even remember a lot of the shows I went to there or YAC at Claremont High because there were so many. Rhino Records had some good in-stores too. There's a great video on YouTube of Rage playing at the Claremont Colleges in 1991. KSPC has all kinds of legendary recording of bands playing on air - Operation Ivy being one of them.

My first "real" show was seeing Rancid at the Glasshouse in April of 1996. Rocket from the Crypt was going to open but Lars came on stage before they played to say they had gotten in a car accident and they found a band named Quasar to replace them. That band was actually the Beastie Boys playing the songs off Aglio E Olio. It was awesome! I was bummed to not see Rocket from the Crypt then as that was the Scream Dracula Scream tour.

I threw all of my zines and flyers out about 15 years ago because my mom is a packrat and I do everything in my control to never become that way. I really regret it. I threw away so many memories. I had just about every ticket stub to every show I went to. Oh well! I've been tempted to buy old copies of Mean Streat and Skratch off ebay but so far haven't. I have a single show flyer form the band I was in and that's it. I'm not even sure where that is anymore.

I've always been bummed I wasn't a teenager a bit earlier. I feel like I missed out on so much. Having lived in Long Beach for 17 years now I would've loved to experience Fenders. A guy I used to work with was big into the scene in the 80's and talked about all the chaos at Fender's, The Country Club and some of the other legendary places. I still feel lucky that I got to see so many bands and am fully embracing 90's nostalgia. I've accumulated so many records in the past few years. I'm lucky that I was collecting some vinyl back in the 90's. That stuff is worth so much money now. I don't really care about that but it's cool to have original pressings of some classics.
Yea, I’m 51.

I was definitely at that SOIA show and remember Davey in the pit.

I’m not sure about the YAC though, was that the place next to the HS and across from where the old golf course was? If so, I think I remember that far show and I think Game Face played it too.

One of the best SOIA shows was in La Mirada Banknof America building or something, AFI and Strife opened. I think Death By Stereo played as well.

I saw Rancid at the Copasetic Cafe during their first tour. I think they were still a 3 piece. Voodoo Glow Skulls opened. I remember picking up The first Rancid Album at Rhino. Even though I had never heard of them, they put a little sticker on it that said “ex members of Op Ivy”. That’s all I had to know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad