OT: Music discussion thread

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
OMG Fenders -- i remember around 1984-85 going to my first show about 15 years old and scared shxtlxss. I was much more afraid of the skinheads and getting jumped in the pit than i was at my mom finding out that i was there. I don't even remember who played that night.

U-Genes was another place i saw many shows for unknown or up-in-coming bands. Back in the day when there wasn't crowds though. hardly any good looking chicks either back then in the punk scene unfortunately.
There was a small bar in Anaheim i think called the Doll House. Man i liked that place for some reason. Getting drunk beforehand by the trains. Good times.

Reactions: Buddy The Elf

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
That's awesome. I wonder if I saw you play with them. I thought they were pretty good. Original material was good, but I really enjoyed their covers of The Boxer by Simon and Garfunkel and Strength by 7 Seconds. I'm trying to remember if I saw them play at Cup of J in Pomona or just hung out with them there.

Dominic, the bass player (I think), was the older brother of one of my friends growing up. I shot a concert of theirs at 369 with multiple cameras and edited it together in the late 90's. I sent a copy to Kirk, the drummer, but that was probably my last contact with them. I should convert it and upload it to Youtube sometime.

I remember seeing Bad Religion at the Palladium back in 1993. Green Day, Rancid and Seaweed opened for them. Such an awesome show. There was a time when Bad Religion were the band I had seen live the most.

Does anyone remember their first concert? Mine was New Order, PIL and The Sugarcubes in '89 at Irvine Meadows. A month later, at that same venue, was Love & Rockets with The Godfathers. A month a half later, The Cure at Dodger stadium with Love & Rockets, Pixies and Shellyan Orphan. That was a great stretch.

First concert: Boyz II Men :laugh:

First concert that I actually wanted to be at: blink-182 / Less Than Jake / Frenzal Rhomb / 22 Jacks / Home Grown / The Hippos at the san bernardino orange show. rode my damn bike! parents were pissed.

I basically spent a
OMG Fenders -- i remember around 1984-85 going to my first show about 15 years old and scared shxtlxss. I was much more afraid of the skinheads and getting jumped in the pit than i was at my mom finding out that i was there. I don't even remember who played that night.

U-Genes was another place i saw many shows for unknown or up-in-coming bands. Back in the day when there wasn't crowds though. hardly any good looking chicks either back then in the punk scene unfortunately.
There was a small bar in Anaheim i think called the Doll House. Man i liked that place for some reason. Getting drunk beforehand by the trains. Good times.

I just drove by Linda's Doll Hut a week or two ago. It's still there!

Just remembering a few other cool venues from my era... the Barn at UCR, the Detroit Bar or Club Mesa (I think) in Costa mesa and the PCH club in Wilmington. The PCH club was probably the closest thing to being at a punk show in the 80's. It was disgusting and in a horrible area. Saw lots of great hardcore shows there in the late 90's. I saw At The Drive in there in 1999.

Anyone ever go up shows at the pickle patch in Goleta? I'm not sure how old that place was but it was great in the late 90's.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus
First concert: Boyz II Men :laugh:

First concert that I actually wanted to be at: blink-182 / Less Than Jake / Frenzal Rhomb / 22 Jacks / Home Grown / The Hippos at the san bernardino orange show. rode my damn bike! parents were pissed.

You just gave me a flashback. The Orange Show, the Dome at the Orange Show and the San Bernardino Arena. I went to a show at the San Bernardino Arena sometime around 1997. It might've been Misfits, Sick of it All and H2O. We parked at a Food 4 Less next to the Arena and when we came out every car had their windows smashed except mine which was parked directly under a light. We had parked there when the sun was still out so that wasn't intentional. Some guy even had his dirty laundry stolen. San Bernardino might be the most ghetto place in So Cal.

Sick of it All was one of my favorite bands growing up. I just found out the Lou Koller has throat cancer. Donate to his Go Fund Me if you care. Revelation also released a benefit repress of their first 7" which I bought.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad