Proposal: MTL & UTAH

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Sure...

5 years from now, let's revisit to see how many NHL games Dmen picked 4-8 have played in the NHL, and compare that to how many Guhle will have played...

He's arguably the best d man from the 2020 draft class, it's frankly silly to expect a dman available at 6OA this year will be a better NHLer. Typical shiny new toy draft class assessment.
Make the argument that he's a better player than Jake Sanderson.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Sure...

5 years from now, let's revisit to see how many NHL games Dmen picked 4-8 have played in the NHL, and compare that to how many Guhle will have played...

Sure that would fun but for what purpose?
He's arguably the best d man from the 2020 draft class, it's frankly silly to expect a dman available at 6OA this year will be a better NHLer. Typical shiny new toy draft class assessment.
Sure he is in the argument but right now 4 other guys have a elgit claim there too.

Also the guy at #6 might very well turn out to be the better player.

I say this as someone who thinks Guhle might end up as a very good Dman but some, perhaps a couple, of Dmen available at $6 this year could very well turn out better at their peak.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Guhle is a proven young NHL defenseman and not only are we giving him up, we are adding more to get a magic bean at 6th.

Makes a lot of sense...said no GM in history.

If this was last year and we're talking 3rd OA and getting Fantilli, I would drive Guhle to the airport, but this year with everyone and his dog doing nothing but guessing, a big fat NO.
A proven, often injured and with limited offensive upside top 4 D.

If Buium is there at #6 I'd trade Guhle without thinking twice.

Reactions: Bluenotes27

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
MTL : Guhle + #78 + Ylonen
for
Utah : #6

Habs are not trading a young proven top 4D for a magic bean (6th pick) and drafting anther top 4D that may bust or disappoint.

You are grossly undervaluing Guhle here. He's a legit top 4D and still improving. A physical type too.

Montreal trade Guhle for #6 and.. wait for it.. draft a LHD with the pick!

No thank you. No reason to do this at all.

Yeah, makes no sense at all. A proven hit is worth more than a magic bean that may hit or bust.

This draft is deep in the top 15 but man, they are not all going to be starts and hits. There will be some disappointments

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Make the argument that he's a better player than Jake Sanderson.

I believe they are similar. Strong top 4D's and still improving. The thing with Guhle is he went up against every teams top line all season long and played opposite side which is not easy to do for a young player. I like Sanderson too. I would consider them close

Reactions: Miller Time

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Habs are not trading a young proven top 4D for a magic bean (6th pick) and drafting anther top 4D that may bust or disappoint.

You are grossly undervaluing Guhle here. He's a legit top 4D and still improving. A physical type too.

Yeah, makes no sense at all. A proven hit is worth more than a magic bean that may hit or bust.

This draft is deep in the top 15 but man, they are not all going to be starts and hits. There will be some disappointments
Not just that but you set back the rebuild another 2-3 years easily because no one can take the role and ice time Guhle has right now.

All of a sudden, you have Suzuki at 27, Caufield 26, Slaf 22, Dach 25 and you’re still struggling to get out of the cave. Players are tired of losing and start asking out.

Repeating the cycle over and over. That’s how you become Ottawa, Buffalo, Utah etc..

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Guhle has had a lot of injuries but he is a known value to the point where it's only a matter of figuring out if he is a #2 or #3 D at this point.

There are no situations where i am concerned that he will not sign in Montreal, nor is he in a situation where he is the odd man out because of a congestion at his position.

This trade would mean that Mtl would probably be drafting a D with the #6; even if that D had a higher ceiling, Guhle is mostly a known value at this point in your top 2 -3 D for a long time. It makes no sense for me to make this trade from Mtl's POV.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Sure that would fun but for what purpose?

Sure he is in the argument but right now 4 other guys have a elgit claim there too.

Also the guy at #6 might very well turn out to be the better player.

I say this as someone who thinks Guhle might end up as a very good Dman but some, perhaps a couple, of Dmen available at $6 this year could very well turn out better at their peak.

A bird in hand...

Reactions: wetcoast

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Both sides say no. Guhle is too important to Montreal now and in the future. Utah says no because Guhle isn't quite worth that pick in a pure value sense.
I go with this.

Cant disagree with those who would say the 6th OA is way too much for Guhle. As a Habs fan though I watch Guhle game after game playing well over 20 TOI against other teams top lines and playing well. And he has just 2 years in.

Is he a no.1 D ? Hasnt shown that yet and I would be surprised if he does. But I think he will be a solid no,2 . A big, mobile, strong defensively, physical type with a bit of offense and will play with an edge. We have lots of good prospects but most are no.4 D at best and so far Guhle is the best. We cant trade this guy / he fills a core spot.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Sure...

"arguably the best dman from the 2020 draft class" might be one of the worst takes I've heard in a long time.

Sanderson and Faber are LIGHTYEARS ahead

Lol, who's the last D like Guhle to be traded ? What was the value he returned ?

You're right, he's a bonafide number one.
In terms of a 22 year old LD playing 20+ minutes a night on MTL at a solid level? Alex Romanov

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
"arguably the best dman from the 2020 draft class" might be one of the worst takes I've heard in a long time.

Sanderson and Faber are LIGHTYEARS ahead

In terms of a 22 year old LD playing 20+ minutes a night on MTL at a solid level? Alex Romanov
Yes, that's a good one. He got a 13th overall.

Now consider that Guhle is miles better than Romanov and those comments are hilarious.

Guhle is better than both Faber and Sanderson btw. He's by far the best defensively of the two and produced the 2nd most at 5v5 while playing the toughest minutes, by far.

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Honest question for Habs fans because I've been seeing this a lot.

What is with the fascination and borderline obsession of getting top 10 picks in this years draft? A lot of the trades include, young, NHL ready players for magic beans. Do y'all want to keep rebuilding forever?

Reactions: CTHabsfan

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
The only disponible D for a pick is Matheson because he doesn't have a future with the Habs.

Guhle, Hutson and Reinbacher are going nowhere. They will be our foundation for the next decade.

Xhekaj and Mailloux might be disponible for equivalent nhl ready forwards because we have excess on the backend and needs to fill on offense.

Struble and Harris are solid depth, yound D that could also be moved in packages for top 6 winger.

Wayfarer13

Jun 21, 2020
Not just that but you set back the rebuild another 2-3 years easily because no one can take the role and ice time Guhle has right now.

All of a sudden, you have Suzuki at 27, Caufield 26, Slaf 22, Dach 25 and you’re still struggling to get out of the cave. Players are tired of losing and start asking out.

Repeating the cycle over and over. That’s how you become Ottawa, Buffalo, Utah etc..
I take it you are assuming that all the things that can go wrong is the most likely outcome here.

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
Honest question for Habs fans because I've been seeing this a lot.

What is with the fascination and borderline obsession of getting top 10 picks in this years draft? A lot of the trades include, young, NHL ready players for magic beans. Do y'all want to keep rebuilding forever?
If the Habs get another top-10 pick we could get another Terry Ryan, Mike Komisarek, Andrei Kostitsyn, Alex Galchenyuk, maybe even another Jesperi Kotkaniemi!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: ElPrimeTime

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad