Proposal: MTL/NJD Matheson,Xhekaj,#26 for #10 and a future 3rd

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
I don't see this being that appealing to the Devils. 10 usually turns into a good player. 26 is much, much more likely to bust.

If all you're getting back is Matheson (who will take a reduced role considering Devils D) and a #6 / borderline AHL d-man in Xhekaj, I wouldn't be too happy.

Devils should go for a big name goalie or just keep the pick.
Try reading the actual proposal and not just the thread title next time

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Seems a good deal. Does Xhekaj have a legit chance to be an everyday player though? He has a lot of the qualities the Devils need, but can he keep up with the play?
he can't. needs sheltering. may never carve out a nhl role aside from fighting.

i am not interested either d in the proposal. the devils need a lhd who excels on defensive side.

Reactions: dgibb10

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Too rich for my liking. Xhekaj would not be part of my trade package.

Matheson's value contract is one of the best in the NHL. He's really good at moving the puck and he is not as bad in his own end like some think he is. 2 more years left and pretend that he is moved as a rental for 2 years. That's a late 1st and B+ prospect add for two years. Then you add the Jets 1st and the value is there. Devils can decline yes but the value is there.

I would do Matheson and Jets 1st with another add but not Xhekaj. Switch Xhekaj for a center prospect... Kapanen.

he can't. needs sheltering. may never carve out a nhl role aside from fighting.

i am not interested either d in the proposal. the devils need a lhd who excels on defensive side.

If you think his game is only fighting, you don't really know much about Xhekaj. There is top 4D potential in him and he's only played 95 NHL games. From age 25+, he's going to be a real force once he matures and gains experience.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
im not a MTL fan but id argue right now Matheson is MTLs best D man? It would hurt them a lot to lose Matheson and Wifi at once

Matheson has really rose with his late 20's on the Habs. He's a great puck mover and his offensive side is underrated. The problem is his last 2 years won't really turn the needle for the Habs because our young core is too young. He can help another team more than he fits our 3+ strategy.

Xhekaj is not being traded as an add on. That type of size and grit is not that easy to find. 95 NHL games and you just wait to see how he looks at age 25+. Other fans look at Xhekaj and see the fights but they really don't watch Habs games. He's more than just a fighter.

Matheson and Jets 1st and change Xhekaj for a close to NHL ready prospect in Kapanen. He's making some noise in the SHL and we also have Beck. I think we can spare one of them.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Matheson has really rose with his late 20's on the Habs. He's a great puck mover and his offensive side is underrated. The problem is his last 2 years won't really turn the needle for the Habs because our young core is too young. He can help another team more than he fits our 3+ strategy.

Xhekaj is not being traded as an add on. That type of size and grit is not that easy to find. 95 NHL games and you just wait to see how he looks at age 25+. Other fans look at Xhekaj and see the fights but they really don't watch Habs games. He's more than just a fighter.

Matheson and Jets 1st and change Xhekaj for a close to NHL ready prospect in Kapanen. He's making some noise in the SHL and we also have Beck. I think we can spare one of them.
You can't string together assets and hope it will stick, surely not if you're taking out the only piece NJ would be remotely interested in.

Devils wouldn't be interested in Matheson or prospects at all.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
If we look at pick value, the 10th overall pick (354.44 value points in Sound of Hockey's chart) is the rough equivalent of Winnipeg's first, #26 (173.8), and an hypothetical 25th pick (181.8).

Thing is, I think it's pretty clear-cut that Matheson on his own currently holds value at least equal to that of a 20-25 pick in this year's draft given his production, good contract, and everything he does on the ice.

And then you'd add Xhekaj, a physical specimen of a defenseman that is tracking extremely well to be a strong #5 on a good team and has shown nothing but progression the last couple years?

Yeah, no.

Value favors New Jersey quite a bit.

Unless something crazy happens and a guy that wasn't supposed to fall, does. In that specific scenario, perhaps this trade proposal wouldn't be that farfetched.
Yeah it really comes down to Matheson being worth more than #25 on his own, let alone throwing Xhekaj in there.

I'm not opposed to something around this set up, but the value isn't there for Montreal.

Reactions: pth2

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I don't like the Idea of moving a top 4 Dman + young potential top 4 dman to move up from 26 to 10.

Xekaj fits are age window very well and considering he is doing marketing/projects with Habs Alumni in Montreal + we just drafted his brother makes me think the Habs aren't moving him.

hockeyguy0022

Feb 20, 2016
Why wouldn't the flames just trade directly for Arber?

Flames have lots of random good pieces for teams.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
... and a #6 / borderline AHL d-man in Xhekaj, I wouldn't be too happy.
Of people rate Xhekaj as 6th D at best the offer might make sense, to Habs fans who see him as a possible #4, physically dominant, fixture, it's an overpay for Montreal just to get some better magic beans.

You can't string together assets and hope it will stick, surely not if you're taking out the only piece NJ would be remotely interested in.

Devils wouldn't be interested in Matheson or prospects at all.
So.... Xhekaj for #10 then ?

Reactions: HabsAddict

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Of people rate Xhekaj as 6th D at best the offer might make sense, to Habs fans who see him as a possible #4, physically dominant, fixture, it's an overpay for Montreal just to get some better magic beans.

So.... Xhekaj for #10 then ?
If the + is right I think it could be done but obviously not straight across.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
X biggest asset is that he is learning.

Years ago we had another monster defenseman in Komisarek but despite years of learning on the job, he never lost his ability to chase his invisible tail.

X is the opposite in that he knows his limitation and will learn from them. If you think that X is just a goon, you're dead wrong.

Hughes repèatedly turned down offers for X, he's not going to throw him in as an add on.

As usual, lots of comments from people who don't actually know his progress or his ceiling potential, but think he's just a throw in to their fantasy pick-ups.

Reactions: Kimota

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If the + is right I think it could be done but obviously not straight across.
The problem is that X is here and now versus potential in magic beans.

I always value youngsters who actually play in the NHL far higher then draft potential.

Let's not forget that according to a Dobber study, 37% of 1st rounders play more then a 100 NHL games. Versus a guy who already has 95 games and tested.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Do you think that a 23 year old defenseman is a finished product with zero ability to learn and grow as a player?

Marino and Siegs were regular penalty killers when they were in the lineup. Hamilton is okay as well, Nemec will be relied upon with or without Xhekaj on the PK as well. He's also young enough that he can learn to PK himself.

Playing Xhekaj likely keeps MacDermid out of the lineup more. Which of course is a benefit as well.

Hamilton averaged 13 seconds on the PK this past season, 10 seconds the year before - maybe this will change under Keefe, but the Devils staff didn't seem to trust him to take regular shifts on the PK.

Devils also aren't interested in someone that still needs on-the-job training at this point. Bahl is also only 7 months older than Xhekaj, so he should improve as well.

MacDermid does not need to be an every game player. He should be viewed as a 13th/14th forward that draws in when needed.

Really no basis for a trade between these teams/assets.

Reactions: Xirik

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Hamilton averaged 13 seconds on the PK this past season, 10 seconds the year before - maybe this will change under Keefe, but the Devils staff didn't seem to trust him to take regular shifts on the PK.

Devils also aren't interested in someone that still needs on-the-job training at this point. Bahl is also only 7 months older than Xhekaj, so he should improve as well.

MacDermid does not need to be an every game player. He should be viewed as a 13th/14th forward that draws in when needed.

Really no basis for a trade between these teams/assets.
Fair enough.

bud12

Oct 8, 2012
Switch Xhekaj with Struble/Harris or a foward prospect not named Beck and it's a deal for me but it don't know why NJ would make a trade without a goalie coming back

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
The problem is that X is here and now versus potential in magic beans.

I always value youngsters who actually play in the NHL far higher then draft potential.

Let's not forget that according to a Dobber study, 37% of 1st rounders play more then a 100 NHL games. Versus a guy who already has 95 games and tested.

Okay, you've twisted my arm I'll give you Kevin Bahl for 5oa since it's just magic beans and Bahl actually played in the NHL all year, unlike Wifi. He also has 148 games played so, maybe you'd have to add a little.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Do you think that a 23 year old defenseman is a finished product with zero ability to learn and grow as a player?

Marino and Siegs were regular penalty killers when they were in the lineup. Hamilton is okay as well, Nemec will be relied upon with or without Xhekaj on the PK as well. He's also young enough that he can learn to PK himself.

Playing Xhekaj likely keeps MacDermid out of the lineup more. Which of course is a benefit as well.
Nope I don't believe a 23 year old is a completely finished product. But they're getting closer to the end of the development curve.

But if you are 23 years old and frankly incompetent at the NHL level, there isn't much hope. Is there anything to suggest Xhekaj has massive upside as a hockey player? There's a reason he went undrafted. Twice.

Kevin Bahl is 23 years old too. He takes tough minutes, kills penalties at a high level, and can defend well.

I'd rather have MacDermid in the lineup than Xhekaj. With a 4th line winger it is very easy to hide. You give guys like Jack, Nico, Mercer, etc a few extra shifts each a game, which isn't going to exhaust anyone, and the matchups don't really change.

With a dman, it's not the same. there's a reason Guhle and Matheson have to play some of the hardest matchups in the league already. Because Arber Xhekaj can't handle anything beyond 4th line grinders.

18% of his ice time comes against elite competition. For comparison, you have him replacing Bahl who plays 37% of his ice time against elite competition. Who takes those shutdown minutes?

Xhekaj requires offensive zone starts as well. This means taking away offensive opportunities from Luke Hughes and Dougie Hamilton, it means every other dman on the team has to take harder matchups.

It means our PK will 100% be worse, probably by a significant amount.

Arber Xhekaj is about as likely to become an effective PK guy as Luke Hughes. He could not even get more than 20 seconds a night on a PK that has been 74% over the last 2 years.

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Nope I don't believe a 23 year old is a completely finished product. But they're getting closer to the end of the development curve.

But if you are 23 years old and frankly incompetent at the NHL level, there isn't much hope. Is there anything to suggest Xhekaj has massive upside as a hockey player? There's a reason he went undrafted. Twice.

Kevin Bahl is 23 years old too. He takes tough minutes, kills penalties at a high level, and can defend well.

I'd rather have MacDermid in the lineup than Xhekaj. With a 4th line winger it is very easy to hide. You give guys like Jack, Nico, Mercer, etc a few extra shifts each a game, which isn't going to exhaust anyone, and the matchups don't really change.

With a dman, it's not the same. there's a reason Guhle and Matheson have to play some of the hardest matchups in the league already. Because Arber Xhekaj can't handle anything beyond 4th line grinders.

18% of his ice time comes against elite competition. For comparison, you have him replacing Bahl who plays 37% of his ice time against elite competition. Who takes those shutdown minutes?

Xhekaj requires offensive zone starts as well. This means taking away offensive opportunities from Luke Hughes and Dougie Hamilton, it means every other dman on the team has to take harder matchups.

Arber Xhekaj is about as likely to become an effective PK guy as Luke Hughes. He could not even get more than 20 seconds a night on a PK that has been 74% over the last 2 years.
Ya I was on the fence about him anyway, I don't think this is something NJ should pursue at all.

bud12

Oct 8, 2012

Are you able to bring his stats after his ahl stint? Because he was really good with Savard on the 2nd pair and St-Louis used him way more

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Ya I was on the fence about him anyway, I don't think this is something NJ should pursue at all.
If Arber Xhekaj was a forward I'd be much more interested in him. You can hide a forward.

You cannot hide a dman without making the lives of every other dman much harder, as we have seen in MTL for Guhle and Matheson.

Reactions: My3Sons

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
If Arber Xhekaj was a forward I'd be much more interested in him. You can hide a forward.

You cannot hide a dman without making the lives of every other dman much harder, as we have seen in MTL for Guhle and Matheson.
Maybe he'd be more this Smith than we know and he'd play on the wing lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad