Value of: Mtl needs a young goalie. Who and what value?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Price is done. Thanks, i love you, but we need to move on.

We have Primeau but in my opinion, he's not top 10 NHL starter material.

So the thread question....What is available under 26 that is underated or stuck behind a top goalie? He needs to have top 10 "potential" or we stay with what we have.

As much as a late 1st is available, but it may get complicated! LOL

Thoughts?

Last edited:

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
So the thread question....What is available under 26 that is underated or stuck behind a top goalie? He needs to have top 10 "potential" or we stay with what we have.

Thoughts?

I thought that Samsonov has/had potential but i may be wrong.
You MIGHT be able to convince us to part with Samsonov for Allen(50% retained) and Calgary's 2025 1st rounder. It's tough to let him go, but we need the 1st rounder more.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Don't see how you get a goalie with top 10 starting potential. I don't think Florida is trading Knight. Samsonov doesn't scream top 10 potential to me considering the goaltending in this league. You basically want a young goalie, top 1/3 goalie, while parting with a potential late first? Can't see that happening.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Needs is a pretty strong word. It would be nice if they focused on other areas first.

Montreal's still relatively early in their rebuild/retool/whatever you want to call it. No reason to be aggressive now.

The likliest target would be DiPietro out of Vancouver though, given he's reportedly asked out and there are rumours Montreal was interested.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Thoughts?
such a goalie likely costs you a 2013 unprotected pick

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
whats up with Wolf are flames fans interested in trading him since they have Markstrom he has good stats but i know hes also so skinny does he have a future in the NHL?
Don’t think there’s any chance the Flames deal Wolf. More likely he’s the backup next year and they begin easing him into an NHL workload.

Vladar might be available at some point though.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
As long as Saros and Lankinen are healthy at the end of camp, you can probably claim Connor Ingram on waivers. He has looked pretty good in his NHL cameos so far, and mostly crushed his AHL assignments. Some baggage. No guarantees. But can't really beat the price. :dunno:

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Needs is a pretty strong word. It would be nice if they focused on other areas first.

Montreal's still relatively early in their rebuild/retool/whatever you want to call it. No reason to be aggressive now.

The likliest target would be DiPietro out of Vancouver though, given he's reportedly asked out and there are rumours Montreal was interested.
Indeed I don't see an immediate need, between Primeau and the other recently drafted goalies they have a good base I think. Dobes, Dichow, Vrbetic, who all had strong season last year with their respective teams in the OHL, University and Swedish league.

Why run out and get a goalie now while the team is still rebuilding when the team can easily survive with Allen, Primeau and Montembeault.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Indeed I don't see an immediate need, between Primeau and the other recently drafted goalies they have a good base I think. Dobes, Dichow, Vrbetic, who all had strong season last year with their respective teams in the OHL, University and Swedish league.

Why run out and get a goalie now while the team is still rebuilding when the team can easily survive with Allen, Primeau and Montembeault.
Survive is the right word. Allen is not a starter, he's a #2. Montehole is AHL and Primeau has competence but not top 10 inspiration.

Goalies take time and i like to see someone who learns and grows with the team. Basically, defense and goaltending moving along from the diaper stage.

If we want to contend in 3-4 years, it starts now. With the biggest holes...

Ledge And Dairy

whats up with Wolf are flames fans interested in trading him since they have Markstrom he has good stats but i know hes also so skinny does he have a future in the NHL?
Not remotely interested in moving him. Wolf is still a few years off starter potential and will succeed Markstrom by then the same way Saros succeeded Rinne.

Habs fans are cursed by Price's young success now. They were blessed for so long they forgot how long it usually takes goalies to develop. Primeau is so young, let the guy develop into the role

Reactions: HabsAddict

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
The market for goalies is pretty bleak but the Habs certainly could overpay to get one of the top picks from last draft.

It seems like they have time to draft one.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Montreal late to the party. Price has 4 years left on his deal. So back track, the Habs should have in 2020 or 2021 looked into getting a goalie high on the draft. Price was 33 in 2020 and 34 in 2021. It takes anywhere from 4-6 years for a drafted kid to become a backup at the nhl let alone the starter.

Even TB is like 2-3 years away from having to take a goalie early if they haven’t been able to find someone else in the meantime who looks like they can take over for Vasi.

You never want to be looking for a goalie when your starter is done. That needs to occur when your starter is 30.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Survive is the right word. Allen is not a starter, he's a #2. Montehole is AHL and Primeau has competence but not top 10 inspiration.

Goalies take time and i like to see someone who learns and grows with the team. Basically, defense and goaltending moving along from the diaper stage.

If we want to contend in 3-4 years, it starts now. With the biggest holes...

Allen is pretty much a textbook definition of a 1B goalie. He plays too much and generally has too strong an impact to be a #2.

Goalies are also really weird and uneven. Unless you get a true elite goalie through the draft (who never get traded), you're hoping for one of the goalies that figures it out later. And generally outside of a few guys, most goalies aren't reliably a top-10.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Don’t think there’s any chance the Flames deal Wolf. More likely he’s the backup next year and they begin easing him into an NHL workload.

Vladar might be available at some point though.
I was about to say Vladar for a conditional 1st anyone?

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB

Thoughts?
Why would anyone trade a young goalie with top 10 potential… for a late first rounder.

Sounds like you are in search of a unicorn.

Reactions: SoupNazi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad