Confirmed Trade: [MTL/LAK] 2024 1st (21OA) for 2024 1st (26OA), 2024 2nd (57OA), 2024 7th (198OA)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
I don’t understand why people are confused about moving picks before the trade, it’s simply gambling- much like the draft in general.

You aren’t going to get as much value from a team trying to move up if the players available are already there, you are banking on them not being there, while the team that is moving up is banking on a certain player being there and getting a discount if they are.

CanMerc

#FIRECHEVY
Dec 7, 2023
100% agree.

I suspect Chevy & other GM's dont differ much on the value of Rutger. I suspect it comes down to more which specific prospect from their team he wants or a specific pick in the draft he wants so he can target a specific prospect the Jets want in the draft. Could also lead to Rutger in a package deal with a pick or player/prospect going to the other team. Fun times to watch it unfold.
21 does nothing for us…we shouldn’t be targeting picks…we need ready now players…but Chevy will Chevy

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Gaud

May 11, 2017
pretty even
makes sense considering where Mtl is. Step one was to maximize assets and value, now its about combining the "surplus" into quality assets. I wouldnt be surprised if Hughes already had a plan for this pick that didnt even include drafting someone. McGroarty's name is flying around

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Why do these keep happening before the draft is actually started and teams dont know who is going to be available?

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
I don’t understand why people are confused about moving picks before the trade, it’s simply gambling- much like the draft in general.

You aren’t going to get as much value from a team trying to move up if the players available are already there, you are banking on them not being there, while the team that is moving up is banking on a certain player being there and getting a discount if they are.
seems like a higher number of these than what we normally see ahead of the draft.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
He’s going to use it to move up again. Celebrini, here we come !

Lol I wish.

But they've lots of picks, a very good prospect pool, Slafkovsky/Reinbacher and another top 5 pick this year.

I think he'll move it for a player (packaged) to help the team now.

Gaud

May 11, 2017

gambling yes, definitely. No argument there; you cant tell if X player will make the nhl in a significant manner.

However, probability calculations based on 50+ years of stat data for analysis is a good way to assign value.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
21 does nothing for us…we shouldn’t be targeting picks…we need ready now players…but Chevy will Chevy

I don't see a prospect (like Rutger) returning a win now piece that would help the Jets, example 2c or top 4 RHD.

Maybe is Chevy packages Ehlers & Rutger for a 2c or top 4 RHD.

Reactions: CanMerc

danisonfire

2313 Saint Catherine
Jul 2, 2009
Going into the draft the Habs had 12 picks plus another 12 next year and that's after making 29 picks in the last 3 drafts. So it was clear at some point they would likely trade a few picks, though the timing seems a bit odd, if they wanted to move up, why not wait to see if their guy might drop or not. A lot of posters felt that Hughes was never going to make this pick and would instead use it to try and land a young forward that fits their plan so maybe something is cooking.

They might have caught wind of another team between 21-26 that wanted the same player that they are targeting in that range and this lets them avoid that outcome. Or they might be using it in another deal and wanted a more value asset. We have so many picks that losing the COL 2nd and a 7th really isn't a big deal. Stay tuned to see what Hughes is cooking.

Reactions: montreal

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Such an odd trade without seeing who is on the board. If you're trading 2 2nds get into the lower 20s, sure. But giving up a 2nd to jump 5 slots seems shortsighted unless you know who is or is not on the board, no?

CapSpace

Caufield is lit
Nov 25, 2013
Near Montreal
Maybe you people overthink this trade ? It's good for both teams. Montreal have too much picks, Hughes must want someone or is working on an other trade, LA add a second rounder.

Seriously people here need to take some chill pills, it's a game.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Habs have made a ton of picks already and have a bunch more coming up so probably time to focus on quality over quantity. Waiting through five other teams hopefully not picking someone you really like is agonizing at best and often very disappointing if he is taken so if you can move to a range where he’s likely available, it makes a ton of sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $50.00