Confirmed Trade: [MTL/LAK] 2024 1st (21OA) for 2024 1st (26OA), 2024 2nd (57OA), 2024 7th (198OA)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Feels like an LA driven move.

Wonder if they are considering using one of their mid-round picks to get the signing rights to someone like Guentzel (if Carolina can't re-sign him)

Reactions: Osprey

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
Seems like a pretty hefty price for us to pay to move up 5 spots, but for me there is a "tier drop" in talent around the mid-20's range. This might ensure we get a player that I'll like a lot better than one at 26.

Reactions: HabsQC and jfhabs

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
Montreal obviously is eyeing a guy they want in that range. Good trade. So long as we don't trade down

Reactions: viceroy

DiglettDangles

Feb 15, 2020
Montreal
This thread was originally labeled "Montreal move up" and it nearly ended my short stint on this planet.

But moving up like this late in the 1st is exactly what most MTL fans have been hoping for all season.
If our scouts feel there is a tier drop at say 22, it might be the difference between getting their guy or not.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
mmm not sure

on paper looks fine

but we used that type of pick, a late 2nd, to get hutson.

You never know what kind of hidden gem is buried deep into the draft

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
The chance of that 57th becoming an NHLer is less than 10%. The 7th rounder has super little value.

It's worth moving up for that price. It's just weird doing that without knowing who will be available. Maybe something else is cooking.
Maybe LA not done going to move down few more spots.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
5 spots in the 20s cost a 2nd rounder and a later pick wtf

think the Kings did amazing here

Habs trying to get ahead of Toronto 👀

This is basically the value of moving up in this range by most valuations of picks. Its COL 2nd, not Montreal's.

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
Using this value chart Examining the value of NHL Draft picks - Sound Of Hockey
The value is bang on for both teams. I like this chart because it's built on what GM's have done in the past. Not off of theoretical value in the future which can be hard to calculate. Likely fits the needs of both teams so a win win. (Yes I know someone will lose in the future lol, that's how these things work.)

Reactions: JuJu Mobb

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Going into the draft the Habs had 12 picks plus another 12 next year and that's after making 29 picks in the last 3 drafts. So it was clear at some point they would likely trade a few picks, though the timing seems a bit odd, if they wanted to move up, why not wait to see if their guy might drop or not. A lot of posters felt that Hughes was never going to make this pick and would instead use it to try and land a young forward that fits their plan so maybe something is cooking.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Montreal had 12 picks going into this draft + a full prospect pool and a ton of picks next year.

Suspect 21 gets moved, with a few more picks, for a roster player.

Reactions: HuGo Sham

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
This is basically the value of moving up in this range by most valuations of picks. Its COL 2nd, not Montreal's.
Lol that's the second trade in two days with a COL second round pick, neither trade involving Colorado. We love getting rid of those pesky second rounders so that we don't have to be disappointed by our amateur scouting department again.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Montreal had 12 picks going into this draft + a full prospect pool and a ton of picks next year.

Suspect 21 gets moved, with a few more picks, for a roster player.
Something has to give on the blueline too. 2 of Kovacevic/Harris/Struble/Savard likely gone

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
if you go by this NHL draft pick trade value chart, the trade is pretty even.

21st OA has a value of 218

vs

26th OA has a value of 174
57th OA has a value of 47
198th OA has a trade value of 1

Exactly what I came to see, close the thread thank you!

Makes a lot of sense for the Habs considering the number of picks they have…

Reactions: montreal

Beendair Donedat

Juice Arse 2.0
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
A rebuilding team doesn't need more picks?
21 is also much higher than 26 when it can mean a big difference in quality of player.

For the negligible cost of a late 2nd rounder (52 overall) and a 7th rounder? I think it’s a solid move, especially if they have a guy they’re targeting specifically or if they’re using the newly acquired first round pick in a different trade, i.e. McGroarty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad