Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] F Juraj Slafkovsky signs extension with the Canadiens (8 years, $7.6M AAV; begins 2025-26)

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
And this guy named Mantha who was also big and scored like 48 points at this time which is pretty comparable since that was in 17/18 when scoring was lower.

In his D+4 season and more than 2 1/2 years older than Slafkovsky and with a reputation from even before he was drafted as a kid that lacked drive and was frustrating to coach.....no comparison whatsoever. Considering that Slafkovsky finished the season at close to a ppg over his final 30 games and was infinitely better than Mantha at the same age, it is a poor comparison and a sad attempt to push a baseless and tribal agenda.

ColbyChaos

I am a made up country
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
In his D+4 season and more than 2 1/2 years older than Slafkovsky and with a reputation from even before he was drafted as a kid that lacked drive and was frustrating to coach.....no comparison whatsoever. Considering that Slafkovsky finished the season at close to a ppg over his final 30 games and was infinitely better than Mantha at the same age, it is a poor comparison and a sad attempt to push a baseless and tribal agenda.
Point still stands.

• Haha
Reactions: Sam de Mtl

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
I mean he still regressed heavily after what most would have expected he would at least continue to produce the same instead he fell off significantly.

Don't worry, not all players regress like Cozens did after signing his big deal :naughty:
Cozens signed his deal mid season and continue to a really good season. Have we confirmed that Zegras is bottom 6C now that he had his recent season?

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Reminds me of when the Oilers signed Hall Eberle and RNH to matching $6m deals which everyone believed was an overpay.

All of them ended up being fair deals with the rising cap, and Hall was a total steal.

If Slav breaks out like Draisaitl or MacKinnon, it has potential to be the best contract in the league.

Reactions: waitin425

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Such a useless comment
it was a response to someone saying the only way to go is up even though we've seen plenty go down.....never see anyone talk about Laine nearly as much since his first few seasons. I didn't even say the contract was bad just that its possible like anybody else.

Reactions: Fatass

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
it was a response to someone saying the only way to go is up even though we've seen plenty go down.....never see anyone talk about Laine nearly as much since his first few seasons. I didn't even say the contract was bad just that its possible like anybody else.
There's definitely that possibility, but I think Slaf is more of a late bloomer than a lot of those bigger guys who struggled to progress. I'd be surprised if this was his peak.

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
Our 25-26 lineup could look something like this:

Slafkovsky - Suzuki - Demidov
Caufield - Dach - Roy
Newhook - Beck - Farrell
Anderson - Kapanen - Gallagher
Heineman

Guhle - Matheson
Hutson - Reinbacher
Xhekaj - Mailloux
Struble, Barron

Montembeault
Primeau

I wouldn't put too much hope in Farrell and Heineman. My hope for our future D-Corps when we're a contender may be:

Guhle - Mailloux
Hutson - Reinbacher
Xhekaj - Konyushkov

What's the ultimate goal in team sports, winning a championship or have good on paper efficiency?

Yup, winning. Bobrovsky's contract is bad but you can't argue with results. I love Caufield but if trading him guaranteed us a Cup then it's sayonara buddy.

Cozens signed his deal mid season and continue to a really good season. Have we confirmed that Zegras is bottom 6C now that he had his recent season?

Yeah, but results-wise? I mean I know Thompson and Cozens are your FWD core and you're paying them accordingly but any regrets?

p.s. Have you given up on your local Bills?

Reminds me of when the Oilers signed Hall Eberle and RNH to matching $6m deals which everyone believed was an overpay.

All of them ended up being fair deals with the rising cap, and Hall was a total steal.

Dunno. Those guys got the big bucks at the time and EDM has bupkis to show for it. At least Suzuki and Caufield have a Cup final to their resume.

Auston Marlander

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
uhh... this is the definition of a boom or bust deal. either it'll look like one of the worst deals in the league or one of the best. not much room for any inbetween.
That's what I was thinking, but if the cap goes up $2M per year, this won't actually be that larger of a cap hit in the last few years.

Definitely a risk, but not as much as I thought at first.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Reminds me of the Power deal last year. Banking on the future. Interesting.

It's a double layer. Player is not in their prime yet and showing good potential while the cap is moving up substantially in that 8 year term.... especially in the next 2 or 3 seasons now that the covid flat cap is in the past and the NHLPA have their outstanding balance paid off.

1 more ELC and 8 years after. Think about what a 60-80 pts player cost in 4+ years? The old $8M rate will be $10M sooner than fans realize. In the last 4 years of that term, I believe the cap will be $100M+

I feel comfortable Slaf will be 60-70 pts and 25-30 goals at a min in his prime. Anything north of that is gravy.

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
It's a double layer. Player is not in their prime yet and showing good potential while the cap is moving up substantially in that 8 year term.... especially in the next 2 or 3 seasons now that the covid flat cap is in the past and the NHLPA have their outstanding balance paid off.

1 more ELC and 8 years after. Think about what a 60-80 pts player cost in 4+ years? The old $8M rate will be $10M sooner than fans realize. In the last 4 years of that term, I believe the cap will be $100M+

I feel comfortable Slaf will be 60-70 pts and 25-30 goals at a min in his prime. Anything north of that is gravy.
60 pts is a 10 pt increase and he was already pacing for that I you remove his first 20
Games where he started slow

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That's what I was thinking, but if the cap goes up $2M per year, this won't actually be that larger of a cap hit in the last few years.

Definitely a risk, but not as much as I thought at first.

The cap will stabilize at some point ($2M/year growth ish) but that comes after the bump up. Remember, the NHL held the cap down so the players can pay off their outstanding balance. We are already seeing the bump for this season and it's projected to be $92M the year after (25/26).

Seattle will create extra revenue vs Arizona as well.

It will take a substantial derail to flatten the cap to $2M or less of growth per year. I remember fans arguing with me that the players will pay off the outstanding balance faster than the schedule they predicted and that's exactly what happened. Bettman always projects conservative numbers.... it's been a trend for a long time.

60 pts is a 10 pt increase and he was already pacing for that I you remove his first 20
Games where he started slow

I understand. I'm playing middle ground in terms of not pumping or deflating too much.

I said 60-70 and 25-30 goals BTW. If he is that player in his prime, it's worth the contract. If he is well north of that, it's one of the better contracts in the NHL

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Don't worry, not all players regress like Cozens did after signing his big deal :naughty:
Think of Drouin and Anderson.

Incredible how 60 points is now worth 8 mil. I believe Toffoli signed for 6.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad