Czechs in North America

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Lauko traded to Minnesota.... might be good for him and get him more ice time. Hopefully the B's get Necas and our Czech colony in Boston stays strong!

Lots of guys NHL careers may be done tomorrow... Zohorna, Zboril, Zadina, Patera, Kubalik and Nosek.

Hoping for the best.

Did occur to me that the Wing's AHL franchise may be interesting to us.. they picked up Rychlovsky and Becher. Maybe those 2 can help each other crack the main roster!

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Stezka is back with another contract (2 way) so that's good. He may get a game or 2 in next season with injuries and such. I thought it was strange he was leaving after 1 year as he does seem to have the skilslet for NHL.

Klapka, Necas, Jenik and Raska were all qualified. The big surprise for me was Jenik as I thought he was done. So that's a bonus.

Not sure who wasn't qualified though.

Big Kase to Edmonton rumour.. man would I love that.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Nosek back in NHL! Florida too. Wasn't sure if he was done.

Some decent surprises so far with Stezka, Nosek and Jenik.

I also read Cibulka was invited to the B's development camp.

Reactions: Goodman68

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Patera signed with Nucks on a 2 year and 2 way... happy he's still sticking around. I do think him and Stezka are off NHL quality. Time will tell.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018

Cajan with a contract for a year in AHL! We have a lot of goalies floating between NHL and AHL next season.

Vladar, Vanecek, Vejmelka, Dostal, Mrazek, Rittich

AHL

Patera, Dobes, Suchanek, Cajan, Stezka, Bednar,

And an HM to Hrabal.
No idea what the Skarek situation is.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
If you told me, 3 years ago, that Frk was closer to the NHL today than Kubalik, Vrana or Zadina - I would have laughed in your face.

Here we are! Curiuos if any of those 3 get a contract? All such strange stories of struggling Czech shooters.

martygod12

Oct 27, 2019
Jenik signed in Ottawa shortly after the trade, so he will give in I guess one last chance.

Starting to get a bit nervous about Zadina and Kubalik lol. Hope both will sign somewhere, we need those guys to stay in the NHL for as long as possible right now. Untill our young generation can take those sports. But that will be at least 5-6 years to fully have some impact.

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Jenik signed in Ottawa shortly after the trade, so he will give in I guess one last chance.

Starting to get a bit nervous about Zadina and Kubalik lol. Hope both will sign somewhere, we need those guys to stay in the NHL for as long as possible right now. Untill our young generation can take those sports. But that will be at least 5-6 years to fully have some impact.
And Vrana. Those were very promising guys two years ago.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I read on hockey.cz that we have 44 cWchs in development camps.. from jiricek to mazura. Not saying this means we have NHLers but it is encouraging so many are getting looks. Spunar and Matecha in Florida. My long lost fav dominik Petr in toronto

martygod12

Oct 27, 2019
So Zohorna confirmed to play for Lugano NLA next year.

Still no contract for Kubalík, Zadina, Vrána

No news about Kase coming back to NHL

Kinda bummed out right now to be honest lol

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
So Zohorna confirmed to play for Lugano NLA next year.

Still no contract for Kubalík, Zadina, Vrána

No news about Kase coming back to NHL

Kinda bummed out right now to be honest lol
Kubalik is likely off to Ticino, Switzerland as well after agreeing to a deal with his ex club Ambri. If he doesn't get a good enough NHL offer he's gonna return.

martygod12

Oct 27, 2019
So still nothing about Kubalik, Zadina, Vrana .. its more and more probable they will all return to europe and end in NHL

Necas will probably stay in Carolina, so this also sucks, they really dont use all his potential there

Still nothing about Kase ....

Not good news at all, I wonder if Kulich and Jiricek can make it and have a full NHL season, so we at least somehow remain at our numbers from last season.

Last edited:

martygod12

Oct 27, 2019
To add to that ... worst case scenario we are looking at 13-14 regular skaters (50+ games) ... thats just pathetic

Swiss have 9-10 btw

Some 5yrs ago it was 22 ... that cursed generation with Zadinas, Zborils, Kauts etc. really cost us dearly

Funny thing is, that 5yrs ago I was so sure our numbers in NHL will increase lol, and we have what we have .. Now I am also sure our numbers will increase again in few years lol ... but I am so worried to believe in anything good lol, its just not going our way.

Cant handle another generation of our top prospects completely flop lol

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Years ago when we seemingly started to head in the right direction with Zacha/Zadina lead generations, all I wanted to have was some success at the international level. Now we have been picking medals left and right for the last couple years and all I want is a single freaking prospect actually making the NHL...

The last fulltime NHL skater we have produced is Necas, drafted 7 years ago. Let that sink in.

martygod12

Oct 27, 2019
Years ago when we seemingly started to head in the right direction with Zacha/Zadina lead generations, all I wanted to have was some success at the international level. Now we have been picking medals left and right for the last couple years and all I want is a single freaking prospect actually making the NHL...

The last fulltime NHL skater we have produced is Necas, drafted 7 years ago. Let that sink in.
Yeah on international level we seem to be doing fine last few years.

Our youth prospects seems to be getting better and better.

Yet having last NHL regular with some actual impact produced some 7 years ago is absolutely brutal.

We are behind Switzerland, Slovakia and Germany in this regard, so pretty much nothing to add here lol.

Seems like we always must suck somewhere lol.

On the other hand with this trend we soon will have the most stacked euro squad in the world lol, but 6 players in NHL :D

Error

Mar 11, 2017
Kase decided to stay in Czech and tbh I'm happy about it. In my opinion his career would not survive another NHL year and some concussion would come sooner or later. Staying in Extraliga gives us hope to watch his magic a few more years.

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
Kase decided to stay in Czech and tbh I'm happy about it. In my opinion his career would not survive another NHL year and some concussion would come sooner or later. Staying in Extraliga gives us hope to watch his magic a few more years.
I'm embarrassed about it. I wanted him to go to the NHL, but apparently he decided to stay in the Czech Republic by his own decision. And it is true that it is definitely better to have a healthy Kaše in the Czech Republic than to worry every match that someone will injure him again.
Nevertheless, the situation regarding Czech players in the NHL is absolutely sad, there is no other way to describe it.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Some things to follow for the upcoming season on the positive side...

Will vladar become the number one?
Jiricek full time?
Kulich full time?
Rousek full time (I think his contract is now 1 way)?
Does blumel crack stars?
Does jenik make sens?
Pavel on the AVS?
Kral on the pens?
Stezka get some games?
Patera get some games?
Svozil???
Spacek is set for big AHL minutes but could see his debut.
Does frk actually get an NHL game in?
Klapka should be close to NHL and flames are not good.
Much better Necas season?
Chytil full time?
Lauko with more minutes in Minnesota?

I get that maybe none of these guys even play a NHL game but that is what I will be following. Lots of irons in the fire! Some of these guys have to stick... Maybe.lol

Also real curious what Sale does this year. Sapo in AHL? Chmelar? Ivan? Marcel? Saturc? Rychkovsky? Becher?

It's bad but it's also encouraging.

We will all feel better after winning the Hlinka in a few weeks.lol

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Feels like Extraliga will be stronger too! Lots of good juniors joining the league. Kase sticking. Cervenka coming over. Stronger the domestic league the better off we are for world championships.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Oh yeah... Hovorka!

But it does blow my mind that Vrana, kubalik and zadina may not be back. Helps the NT though I'd they can have solid seasons in Switzerland, Sweden and Extraliga. Guys like tomasek look great on NT too!

martygod12

Oct 27, 2019
Oh yeah... Hovorka!

But it does blow my mind that Vrana, kubalik and zadina may not be back. Helps the NT though I'd they can have solid seasons in Switzerland, Sweden and Extraliga. Guys like tomasek look great on NT too!
I still hope Kubalik and Zadina will get a contract somewhere. I mean they are not top 6 forwards, but still good enough for NHL and way too good for euro leagues.

Some things to follow for the upcoming season on the positive side...

Will vladar become the number one?
Jiricek full time?
Kulich full time?
Rousek full time (I think his contract is now 1 way)?
Does blumel crack stars?
Does jenik make sens?
Pavel on the AVS?
Kral on the pens?
Stezka get some games?
Patera get some games?
Svozil???
Spacek is set for big AHL minutes but could see his debut.
Does frk actually get an NHL game in?
Klapka should be close to NHL and flames are not good.
Much better Necas season?
Chytil full time?
Lauko with more minutes in Minnesota?

I get that maybe none of these guys even play a NHL game but that is what I will be following. Lots of irons in the fire! Some of these guys have to stick... Maybe.lol

Also real curious what Sale does this year. Sapo in AHL? Chmelar? Ivan? Marcel? Saturc? Rychkovsky? Becher?

It's bad but it's also encouraging.

We will all feel better after winning the Hlinka in a few weeks.lol
Love your optimism.

I think if at least Kulich and Jiricek manage to stick in the NHL this season we will be lucky lol

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I still hope Kubalik and Zadina will get a contract somewhere. I mean they are not top 6 forwards, but still good enough for NHL and way too good for euro leagues.

Love your optimism.

I think if at least Kulich and Jiricek manage to stick in the NHL this season we will be lucky lol
Hope dies last... We have a missing generation and a big gap. But the new generations seems encouraging. Ruml is another guy that looks promising on D.

I feel like it is the dark before the light. And by light I mean about 30 NHL skaters in a few seasons. Best draft since 2005. Lots of free agent signings and elc guys. Junior results are good. Extraliga is rising in Europe.

But it is dark. If pasta gets hurt we may not have a top 100 player in scoring.lol. But, for the life of me, I can't figure out how necas isn't a .ppg player in the NHl. D is still weak at NHL level. We do have a bunch of top 100 guys now though.. hamara, alscher, Dvorak, badinka, svozil to go with the jiriceks. Time will tell.

Like you.. I had a lot of optimisim a few years ago too.. it didn't work out at all.

Hajek, Kaut, Zboril and soon zadina all back in Europe with Has and Musil. Teply gone too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad