Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] D Kaiden Guhle signs extension with the Canadiens (6 years, $5.55M AAV; begins 2025-26)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Theres an interview in the paper today with his agent

They were open to 8 years but wanted 8m+, he said Hugues didnt want anything to do with that

An extra 2 years and the AAV balloons by $2.5M?

I think Guhle and his agent wanted the 6 years because he becomes UFA at age 28 vs 30 (if he signed for 8). This sets him up well to cash in at age 28 if he becomes the guy most think he will be.

Reactions: overlords

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
An extra 2 years and the AAV balloons by $2.5M?

I think Guhle and his agent wanted the 6 years because he becomes UFA at age 28 vs 30 (if he signed for 8). This sets him up well to cash in at age 28 if he becomes the guy most think he will be.
Did the math on an earlier post. He'd need to get $15.35 mill for years 7 and 8 to get to $64 mill over 8 years. If $64 mill was the target total, and the Habs wanted nothing of that, then a 2 year bridge at $4.5 mill get him to $9 mill. then it is $55 mill to get over 6 years, which is $9.17 mill AAV. That is still possible to achieve, tough, but still possible. Depends on whether the player wants to be on themself or not.

But, to ask for $64 mill over 8 when you settle for $33.3 over 6, just makes the agent look bad for either how grossly over valued he had his player or had little he got his player.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Suzuki shot at 18% this year lol

He's nowhere near Eichel, you can stat watch all you want. Maybe re-watch Vegas's cup run where Eichel completely dominated all over the ice.

They aren't remotely comparable.

And he's nowhere near ROR defensively. This past season was the first year where the Habs allowed less goals/60 with Suzuki on the ice (and only barely).

Sure, that's why I said it's doable. But it's clearly the exception to the rule, seeing as how it happened 1 time in 20 years.

Because I congratulated the Habs on this signing and said they have a great young core that probably needs to improve at center to win a cup. And then half a dozen habs fans attacked me.

Suzuki shot 17.8%, his career average is 13.8, last year he shot 16%. It's just a function of the player he is, he's a playmaker first with a fantastic shot, he's clearly pass first and only has shot 186 times as a career high, thats 2.3 shot a game. To act like his shot % is unsustainable is completely asinine but seems ot be par for the course with some of the arguments you make.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Did the math on an earlier post. He'd need to get $15.35 mill for years 7 and 8 to get to $64 mill over 8 years. If $64 mill was the target total, and the Habs wanted nothing of that, then a 2 year bridge at $4.5 mill get him to $9 mill. then it is $55 mill to get over 6 years, which is $9.17 mill AAV. That is still possible to achieve, tough, but still possible. Depends on whether the player wants to be on themself or not.

But, to ask for $64 mill over 8 when you settle for $33.3 over 6, just makes the agent look bad for either how grossly over valued he had his player or had little he got his player.
I vote the "grossly overvalued" option, but I find it hard to believe the Agent was serious about it. I think he was telling Hughes we are not signing for 7 or 8 ( unless you pay stupid money), but we will give you 2 UFA years for $5.5M per.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I vote the "grossly overvalued" option, but I find it hard to believe the Agent was serious about it. I think he was telling Hughes we are not signing for 7 or 8 ( unless you pay stupid money), but we will give you 2 UFA years for $5.5M per.
Really does the agent no good to say that $8 mill AAV number in an interview. Again, to need $30 mill total for years 7 and 8 is just insane when he takes $33.3 mill over 6. Only makes the agent look bad when he gets half his target but signs for 75% of the term.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Got to keep in mind the context of his role last year. For most of the season he was asked to (defensively) babysit Matheson while playing on this offside and taking a lot of hard minutes against top opposition.

That's not an easy task for anyone, let alone someone as young as Ghule.
Fully agree...but you would of seen flashes.

I don't want to underpay him but also not overpay him. Right now he's showing a better McDonough then a Chelios or Josi. Does he have the offensive vision? I honestly don't know. If he did it would flash through even as a baby sitter.

If he backs Hutson then he better have more then what he is showing right now because simply holding the fort is far from good enough. Hutson will force him to play offense otherwise he'll be wasting Hutsons talents.

This is where waiting two years would either benefit him...or leave him with the same contract. But NOT worse.

His agent is an idiot.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024

I don't want to underpay him but also not overpay him. Right now he's showing a better McDonough then a Chelios or Josi. Does he have the offensive vision? I honestly don't know. If he did it would flash through even as a baby sitter.

If he backs Hutson then he better have more then what he is showing right now because simply holding the fort is far from good enough. Hutson will force him to play offense otherwise he'll be wasting Hutsons talents.

This is where waiting two years would either benefit him...or leave him with the same contract. But NOT worse.

His agent is an idiot.
Those are wild names to throw out for just about any young player

McDonagh was a top 5 dman in hockey for like a decade, and was already a top 5 dman by the time he was 23.
Screenshot 2024-08-02 at 2.04.52 PM.png

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Some of these agents have the IQ of a snail and a mouth of a crow.

8x8 and 5.5x6 don't resemble each other. To bring it up post signing only sows anger in the player. Pure professional MORON
Agents..............not to put them all in the same light, but man, most are absolute idiots.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Agents..............not to put them all in the same light, but man, most are absolute idiots.
I had a medium sized manufacturing business and i NEVER hired saleman or agents.

In my entire life I've only met TWO agent/sales people who i can call 360 degree thinkers.

Reactions: BLONG7

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Those are wild names to throw out for just about any young player

McDonagh was a top 5 dman in hockey for like a decade, and was already a top 5 dman by the time he was 23.
View attachment 898794
A top 5 D for a decade ? 2013-2017 was a heck of a long decade.

His agent is an idiot.
You mean you haven't seen the flashes ? His first NHL goal should've been enough evidence to understand he has good vision. Then there's the shorthanded goal he scored that is also pretty amazing. You conflate opportunity with talent, a common mistake.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
A top 5 D for a decade ? 2013-2017 was a heck of a long decade.

You mean you haven't seen the flashes ? His first NHL goal should've been enough evidence to understand he has good vision. Then there's the shorthanded goal he scored that is also pretty amazing. You conflate opportunity with talent, a common mistake.

McDonagh was already a stud dman as a rookie. He was already a top 5 dman in hockey by year two.

2011-2019 is nearly a decade

• Haha
Reactions: bud12

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
McDonagh was already a stud dman as a rookie. He was already a top 5 dman in hockey by year two.

2011-2019 is nearly a decade
Thats cool but Chara, Keith, Letang, Weber, Lidstrom, Markov, Burns, Hedman, Subban, Karlsson, Doughty, Suter, Pietrangelo exist.

For the time frame you proposed, Ryan is 20th in points. He was never a top 5 D, he was a mid-range #1, with "somewhat" limited offensive production because of the role he played. It's exactly how Guhle projects.

danisonfire

2313 Saint Catherine
Jul 2, 2009

It sort of makes sense to me. He will be more attractive to teams when he has to resign his next contract and is still in his late 20's. He will most likely sign a better free agent contract with this 6 year deal when compared to the 8 year option.

I do think that the 64m figure was their highball amount but I am more so talking about the overall spread between the two options in dollar figures. The 6 year deal would buy 2 years of free agency, the 8 year deal would eat up 4 years of free agency and could lead to lower offers next contract (UFA). The cap will also increase so he gets more years signed with a higher cap amount with the 6 year option.

The structure makes me think Guhle really just preferred the 6 year deal (UFA contract signed while in his 20's) and his camp made it attractive for Montreal as well since he likes this group of players within this 6 year window. He is buying into Montreal and our future for 6 years with most of the young core players locked into friendly deals as well. Then he wants to get paid.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
he was great but idk about top 5
Ryan McDonagh was so good that year at 22 he managed to convince people Dan Girardi was a norris caliber dman.

Didn't get enough PP time for the casual viewer to recognize, but that year he was also 7th in even strength points in addition to taking all of the hardest assignments and being a ridiculously good defender

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Thats cool but Chara, Keith, Letang, Weber, Lidstrom, Markov, Burns, Hedman, Subban, Karlsson, Doughty, Suter, Pietrangelo exist.

For the time frame you proposed, Ryan is 20th in points. He was never a top 5 D, he was a mid-range #1, with "somewhat" limited offensive production because of the role he played. It's exactly how Guhle projects.

Ryan McDonagh ranked 7th in even strength points as a 22 year old btw. Kaiden Guhle ranked 68th

His offensive production was not at all limited. His power play time, sure, that was limited.

But at even strength, here is the even strength production from 2011-2019 of the players that you listed. Guess which one is McDonagh?

Screenshot 2024-08-02 at 5.38.34 PM.png

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024

Markov, Weber, and Subban there is PURE homer btw. Especially markov.

• Haha
Reactions: bud12

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Ryan McDonagh ranked 7th in even strength points as a 22 year old btw. Kaiden Guhle ranked 68th

His offensive production was not at all limited. His power play time, sure, that was limited.

But at even strength, here is the even strength production from 2011-2019 of the players that you listed. Guess which one is McDonagh?

View attachment 898852
How much ES points do you think McDonagh would have gotten as a 22 years old last year with Montreal?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $1,050.00