Proposal: MTL & CLB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
They need an established, 2nd pairing defensive LHD.

I know @Viqsi loves repeating herself, so I'll let her take it from here.

I believe their GM will take the best deal offered. Could be an established player or futures. I don't think this is one target in specific.

No, I'm saying that if you're going to get all offended and demand respect for your players that you not also arrogantly try to explain to Jackets fans what our own team's needs are and condescendingly make up strawmen and mock us with them.

Nah, you are spinning it. There will be disagreements and debates but words of choice and exaggerations are disrespectful and provide no value. That's my angle. You are trying to connect that to other fans not allowed to say what the return will be. You have made up the strawmen narrative because you are playing the got cha game

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
He is far from a cap dump...stop trying to make a deal that's pennies on the dollar

CBJ fans have been very open about what it takes...feel free to just walk away from the imaginary trade table if it doesn't work for you
I think the Jackets GM has said, it will be picks and prospects.....so that's where the deal is at this point.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
The mere offers of names like Anderson and Gallagher is reason enough to stop negotiations immediately. Whether you like it or not.
Agreed..............Waddell has been clear, picks and prospects. Habs have space, so there is a basis for a deal....
Anyhow, stay tuned folks, don't think anyone is in a hurry, but it would seem it will go down before camp starts. There could be several teams interested.

He said "hockey trade"
OK, thought I saw something saying picks and prospects.....

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
The teams that have cap space are typically the teams that won't realistically make the playoffs. So it doesnt make sense for these teams to add an 8.7 million dollar salary. What seems more likely is that Columbus kicks the can fown the rosd and sees how the season goes.

Laine can score and thats a valuable skill. The 8.7 is too much but he might draw interest at TDL if Columbus struggles.

One caveat regarding the struggling teams is that those with good young centers might see him as a way to make them successful.

Reactions: Miller Time

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Anyhow, stay tuned folks, don't think anyone is in a hurry, but it would seem it will go down before camp starts. There could be several teams interested.
Not fact. Laine can start in Columbus. Also he is not Dubois, would try to show his best game I think. Do not forget it is the only thing that will give him more choice of teams that might be interested in him.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The teams that have cap space are typically the teams that won't realistically make the playoffs. So it doesnt make sense for these teams to add an 8.7 million dollar salary. What seems more likely is that Columbus kicks the can fown the rosd and sees how the season goes.

Laine can score and thats a valuable skill. The 8.7 is too much but he might draw interest at TDL if Columbus struggles.

One caveat regarding the struggling teams is that those with good young centers might see him as a way to make them successful.

Laine's 2 year term at $8.7M is something the Habs can easily fit in because we have $16M-$19M in cap and it might go unused. After those 2 years is when the Habs might have to give raises to Dach, Guhle, Newhook, Demidov, Roy, Reinbacher, etc.

I know the Habs are in talks with the Jackets. What we don't know is the trade value price and how deep Hughes want to go.

I do think Laine fits what the Habs are after and I think he scores 40+ with Suzuki and MSL as his coach. I think MSL can help Laine a lot with where to put his focus.

Not fact. Laine can start in Columbus. Also he is not Dubois, would try to show his best game I think. Do not forget it is the only thing that will give him more choice of teams that might be interested in him.

I think a trade will get done. Not sure what the trade value will be (futures or established player) but I think there are 3-5 teams who will make their offers and there will be something for the Jackets to accept.

Reactions: CannonFire1

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Agreed..............Waddell has been clear, picks and prospects. Habs have space, so there is a basis for a deal....

OK, thought I saw something saying picks and prospects.....

I read picks and prospects too but I don't think it's 100% tied to only that type of return. They will take the best deal. Established player or futures.

If it's an established player, it's probably someone like we picked up...Newhook or Dach. RFA player still under team control.

If it's futures, It's either a 1st and 2nd/B level prospect or a Grade A and 2nd/B level prospect. Something like that.

I don't think it will be as low as some fans think it might be. The biggest challenge is Laine's cap hit.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I don't know... I think that it's a stretch to suggest every proposal in this thread by non CBJ fans is a "rip off"
Your logical fallacy is strawman

At no point did I claim this of every proposal.
Laine is available because he wants out, and the likely return isn't going to be "40+ goal scoring 26 year old" because of his injury & mental health concerns (& the risks those things represent). Differing perspectives on how the GM market will value/discount those risks is not a sign of people trying to fleece the Jackets imo.
No kidding there's going to be a discount. But the post you opted to hop in on was in response to someone who was playing the "Laine is a near-valueless cap dump and you'll have to give him away" card.
Sorry, are you saying that the Jackets have never, ever, made a trade that didn't work out favorably?
Same link as above.
Are they? I certainly don't view him as worthless... and I read other non CBJ fans in this thread who see his value. on the Habs board there's a very big variance of opinions.
Perhaps I should have said "majority" instead. It is indeed getting a little better. Slowly.
Sure. And if you follow the league, it's a well established precedent that GMs make proclamations and then later do the opposite... Is what it is.
I have no time for this variety of argument because it's a thought-terminating cliche.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Nah, you are spinning it. There will be disagreements and debates but words of choice and exaggerations are disrespectful and provide no value. That's my angle. You are trying to connect that to other fans not allowed to say what the return will be. You have made up the strawmen narrative because you are playing the got cha game
So when I (and others) say the return is not going to involve us taking back a high cap contract with more term than Laine that's "other fans not allowed to say what the return will be" and thus bad and disrespectful and wrong, but when you insist the return has to include something like that (or even "will not be a 1st and an A prospect" even tho that's fabricated nonsense) that's perfectly fine and not an issue at all and completely respectful. Okay. Cool. Gotcha. Also, screw that noise.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I read picks and prospects too but I don't think it's 100% tied to only that type of return. They will take the best deal. Established player or futures.

If it's an established player, it's probably someone like we picked up...Newhook or Dach. RFA player still under team control.

If it's futures, It's either a 1st and 2nd/B level prospect or a Grade A and 2nd/B level prospect. Something like that.

I don't think it will be as low as some fans think it might be. The biggest challenge is Laine's cap hit.
This is pretty close to what the expectations are amongst HFCBJ.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
So when I (and others) say the return is not going to involve us taking back a high cap contract with more term than Laine that's "other fans not allowed to say what the return will be" and thus bad and disrespectful and wrong, but when you insist the return has to include something like that (or even "will not be a 1st and an A prospect" even tho that's fabricated nonsense) that's perfectly fine and not an issue at all and completely respectful. Okay. Cool. Gotcha. Also, screw that noise.

I'm not willing to continue that conversation anymore. I said what I said and stand by it. I don't think you comprehended it well.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'm not willing to continue that conversation anymore. I said what I said and stand by it. I don't think you comprehended it well.
It's a movie we've all seen more than enough times so there have been plenty of opportunities for comprehension practice. It's a pretty persistent double standard. The only thing I ever ask for is respect for the Jackets and the Jackets fanbase rather than writing off our team as never relevant and our fanbase as ignorant rubes. That's all.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
whats a realistic offer for Laine does this seem fair or no

Calgary 2025 1st round pick ( most probably the Florida pick )
Owen Beck
Joel Armia - 1year 3.4 mill ( cap reasons )
or
Christian Dvorak - 1year 4.5mill

Last edited:
Reactions: BLONG7

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

Nope. No strawman. Straight reply to Post #320.

At no point did I claim this of every proposal.

Your right, my bad... Should've said "most" not "every".

Like you, I occasionally use the wrong word & have no problem clarifying.

Bottom line. Laine @8.7M is a risky proposition for most teams.

Sadly for CBJ fans, the Jackets are almost in the perfect situation to take that risk and reap the potential reward... But the player has publicly stated he doesn't want to play there.

Imo the best case is that Evanson & the Jackets vets are able to convince him to change his mind. If he has addressed his issues and is focused on getting his career back on track (to become an elite player), the reward could be huge...

If he's traded, I doubt he will return what you and some other CBJ posters in this thread seem to believe the market will pony up.

We'll see. I've been wrong before.

I have no time for this variety of argument because it's a thought-terminating cliche.

Considering precedent is a cliche now, eh? That's rich :lol:

Last edited:

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

Owen Beck
or

CBJ should be thrilled if they get that kind of return. I'd be shocked if they do better than that.

I doubt they get the equivalent of 2x 1st round picks without retaining or without taking a cap dump back (neither Armia nor Dvorak are cap dumps for the Habs).

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
CBJ should be thrilled if they get that kind of return. I'd be shocked if they do better than that.

I doubt they get the equivalent of 2x 1st round picks without retaining or without taking a cap dump back (neither Armia nor Dvorak are cap dumps for the Habs).
Beck was a 2nd round pick and hasnt really lit up the O since being drafted hes a good 2way C who knows if his value is a 1st and Armia and Dvorak are worth nothing maybe a late pick at best nobody is taking Anderson or Gallagher

I guess it depends what else is on the table for CLB but Laine is a great talent and i would be willing to risk a few good assets to get him the reward is much higher if he can get away from his problems and injuries

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois

Owen Beck
or
Seems very fair. Can probably have Columbus send back a mid round pick. Maybe even have them take both Armia and Dvorak back to balance the cap hits.

Reactions: Nico Cauzuki

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Also, Habs don't have to include a 1 year salary roster player just so they need to pay more in prospects/picks. That doesn't make sense at all.

If a roster player is involved in the trade, it will be an ask from Columbus, therefore not a cap dump.

Reactions: Miller Time

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Seems very fair. Can probably have Columbus send back a mid round pick. Maybe even have them take both Armia and Dvorak back to balance the cap hits.
It's seems fair because you see Dvorak and Armia as cap dumps. They are not. If they had two years left on their respective contract, it would be another thing. These two will get good opportunities to bounce back and get trade at the trade deadline for something.

And Habs don't need to include salary in a trade for Laine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad