Proposal: MTL & CLB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
Oh come on. Habs fans want Laine because they hope he'll be a point per game top-6 forward. Why would CBJ accept Canadiens' crap?

I'd rather let Laine stay in program rest of his contract than accept lowball offers built around Struble.

CGY/FLA 2025 1st + actually decent prospect is where bidding should start.
what would be a decent prospect to you ?

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Oh come on. Habs fans want Laine because they hope he'll be a point per game top-6 forward. Why would CBJ accept Canadiens' crap?

I'd rather let Laine stay in program rest of his contract than accept lowball offers built around Struble.

Sure, as long as you take a big old cap dump. Otherwise, who is bidding?

Also "hope" is the operative word here

Last edited:
Reactions: HabsQC

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
We see your hypothetical lineups with Laine on your second or first line. We're not idiots. We're not sending you a first-liner for cheap and we're certainly not doing y'all any favors. The Jackets and the Habs are at very similar phases of their rebuilds.
Two years ago Columbus traded Bjorkstrand for a 3rd and 4th, and he didn't have the warts

Reactions: AcadiaAxeMan

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
We see your hypothetical lineups with Laine on your second or first line. We're not idiots. We're not sending you a first-liner for cheap and we're certainly not doing y'all any favors. The Jackets and the Habs are at very similar phases of their rebuilds.
Let's hypothetical say Laine wants out then ???

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
Then the Jackets will try to trade him if a decent trade is available.
a A prospect is enough i think.

Fowler is that.
If not Beck might be
If not we hold 12 picks next year

Anyways don't think Laine is comming back

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Two years ago Columbus traded Bjorkstrand for a 3rd and 4th, and he didn't have the warts
Two years ago Columbus was under a cap crunch. Columbus is no longer under a cap crunch.
Two years ago Jarmo Kekalainen was the GM. Jarmo Kekalainen is no longer the GM.

Don't even start.

* * *​
Let's hypothetical say Laine wants out then ???
That's why he's available at all. Trying to get him at an extreme discount isn't going to fly.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

FWIW, most Habs fans who actually want Laine (which is a clear minority of them) want Laine because he'll be better than Armia or Gallagher, not because they think or even hope he'll be a point per game player or that they even think he'll be a mediocre top-6 forward.

And Fowler is an "actually decent prospect".

Reactions: dukeofjive

Hoochi Papa

Oct 17, 2020
FWIW, most Habs fans who actually want Laine (which is a clear minority of them) want Laine because he'll be better than Armia or Gallagher, not because they think or even hope he'll be a point per game player or that they even think he'll be a mediocre top-6 forward.

And Fowler is an "actually decent prospect".
As a fellow Canadien fan, we want him in our top-6. If upgrade on Armia or Gallagher is all we wanted, there should've been several threads about Sprong's UFA status.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
As a fellow Canadien fan, we want him in our top-6. If upgrade on Armia or Gallagher is all we wanted, there should've been several threads about Sprong's UFA status.

I have spent too much time arguing in favour of Montreal acquiring Laine to think that "we" want him in Montreal's top 6.

And there were pages of it. Fans also talked about JVR, Pacioretty, and literally any other winger with name recognition. If Montreal management was that motivated to fill in a top-6 hole, they wouldn't have been passive in Free Agency or the trade market. They clearly don't care about trying to fill that hole right now.

Laine's a good player who most teams should take a flyer on. He's also got a ton of question marks and cap hit that would seriously limit the number of teams who would be interested, especially since the teams who can best afford him are the teams who are least likely to pay up for him.

If the cost is a 1st+, then I doubt Montreal is interested. If its less than they probably are (even if I don't think they want to move Fowler instead of comparable or even better prospect in the eyes of HFBoards at a different position).

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
People are making it sound Laine is a scrub when he’s been a PPG player for Columbus most of the time.

He’s absolutely worth more than some goalie prospect. I don’t think Columbus needs goalie prospects given we have Ivanov and recently drafted Gardner.

Ideally we need a veteran top 4 LHD
I guess Russian math is different as he had one "season" of 56 pts in 56 games with the Jackets and overall has 138 pts in 174 games with the Jackets while being -58. He has more hits against him than anything given his contract both amount and length long with last player a full season in 2018-19.

Reactions: viceroy

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
The only two players that might be available that Jackets would want are probably Guhle and Roy

A Guhle/Laine trade would probably have multiple picks going back and forth

Laine

for

Roy

would be easier to figure out

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
And what about recently? I don't think he's worthless but right now there is nowhere near certainty that he is the player you're describing. I am not begrudging him for being in the player's assistance program by any means but the reality is that just leaves so much uncertainty, and it seems like both he and Columbus are ready to move on from this marriage, so what leverage does Columbus have in this situation? Keep a malcontent with documented mental health struggles for another year so he turns into a complete cap dump?

Do you think he's going to return better value than the package proposed here? Because I would be downright floored if that's the case
By recently you mean this past year right? I believe @majormajor noted that. It's very clear people have not watched Laine in Columbus. Nothing like the player I see in these threads. Not a cancer, not lazy, has just had injury issues. Yeah, I get it...that's a problem too. I don't disagree, but he's not a dump and he's only 26 that still has an elite shot and isn't alergic to his own zone. If you want to knock him... he tries to do too much with the puck and turns it over at either blue line. Beyond that he's gotten away from shoot first mentality trying to drag his team into the game - bad decision.

Waddell wants a hockey trade and he'll get it. No doubt there are teams with interest, but they'll need to speak with him and can't do that until he's out of the PAP.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
I have spent too much time arguing in favour of Montreal acquiring Laine to think that "we" want him in Montreal's top 6.

And there were pages of it. Fans also talked about JVR, Pacioretty, and literally any other winger with name recognition. If Montreal management was that motivated to fill in a top-6 hole, they wouldn't have been passive in Free Agency or the trade market. They clearly don't care about trying to fill that hole right now.

Laine's a good player who most teams should take a flyer on. He's also got a ton of question marks and cap hit that would seriously limit the number of teams who would be interested, especially since the teams who can best afford him are the teams who are least likely to pay up for him.

If the cost is a 1st+, then I doubt Montreal is interested. If its less than they probably are (even if I don't think they want to move Fowler instead of comparable or even better prospect in the eyes of HFBoards at a different position).
If you're not looking to acquire him for the top 6, that means you're not offering top 6 return, which means you'll get outbid because there are most definitely teams bidding on him being a top 6 guy.

As others have said he's a PPG player when healthy. You're not going to get him for anything less than top 6 value.

Look no further than Monahan... Was packaged with a 1st to get rid of him, only to be worth a 1st in a trade and now in this off-season was given a 5yr 5M deal by multiple teams, perceptions of a player change like the wind. And DW isn't going to sell low on him.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
By recently you mean this past year right? I believe @majormajor noted that. It's very clear people have not watched Laine in Columbus. Nothing like the player I see in these threads. Not a cancer, not lazy, has just had injury issues. Yeah, I get it...that's a problem too. I don't disagree, but he's not a dump and he's only 26 that still has an elite shot and isn't alergic to his own zone. If you want to knock him... he tries to do too much with the puck and turns it over at either blue line. Beyond that he's gotten away from shoot first mentality trying to drag his team into the game - bad decision.

Waddell wants a hockey trade and he'll get it. No doubt there are teams with interest, but they'll need to speak with him and can't do that until he's out of the PAP.
Just to be clear - the initial offer presented in this thread was Fowler + first + decent prospect for Laine with no retention.

I have said a few times that I don't think he's a cap dump, but I also don't think he returns real value unless there's a cap dump coming back or pretty significant retention

• Haha
Reactions: Xirik

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Eh, when he played last year he looked BAD, like really bad. Is that likely due to being a little timid after suffering from a concussion? Sure, but be honest, dude was a waste of space when he played last season.
Dude played 18 games last year with multiple injuries. Yeah, he was bad. Did you watch Columbus the last couple years? The entire team was bad. Like, dude bad.

Reactions: CBJx614

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Dude played 18 games last year with multiple injuries. Yeah, he was bad. Did you watch Columbus the last couple years? The entire team was bad. Like, dude bad.
He looked disinterested, afraid to engage bad. Enough that in the few games I did see him it literally stuck out how bad he was

Two years ago Columbus was under a cap crunch. Columbus is no longer under a cap crunch.
Two years ago Jarmo Kekalainen was the GM. Jarmo Kekalainen is no longer the GM.

Don't even start.
And now they have a player that hasn't been able to stay healthy for three years, is coming off the worst season of his life, is dealing with personal issues significant enough to lead him to the PAP and has publicly stated he wants out. Much better situation

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Just to be clear - the initial offer presented in this thread was Fowler + first + decent prospect for Laine with no retention.

I have said a few times that I don't think he's a cap dump, but I also don't think he returns real value unless there's a cap dump coming back or pretty significant retention
That's fair. And to be clear, it's very evident that people haven't watched Laine since he was traded to Columbus. It's OK, it's not just Habs fans. It's the same in every proposal. I haven't read all of this one but I'm sure there is a fortnite reference or video games or something.

I don't think CBJ and MON are good trade partners and understand team's fans being hesitant. He's had injury after injury that not only affected his play but his mental state. We'll see what happens when he gets out of the PAP. I don't expect the world for him but do expect some value coming back to Columbus, more so if they retain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad