Confirmed Trade: [MTL/CBJ] Patrik Laine, '26 2nd for Jordan Harris

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Except in terms of results, performances, etc. you mean?

Prior to acquiring Laine, actually yes. They had just beat the Leafs in the play-in series and had four straight playoff appearances. At the time there were only two teams in the league that had made the playoffs in each of the previous four seasons and won series in the preceding two.

Talk about spinning yarns! Wow.

I gave you the facts and clearly noted any speculation involved. You should try it instead of spreading rumors.

The Habs missed the playoffs with Shea Weber and Carey Price. It was clearly and entirely their fault. Not enough accountability. CBJ missed the playoffs with Patrik Laine on the roster, it's his fault and his alone.

Laine was certainly a part of the problem. I absolutely did not say it was his fault alone, that is just your bad reading comprehension.

Reactions: thebus88

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Not sure who won this deal. If Laine gets injured then Columbus probably did better. Columbus will have hard time driving offense though.
I dont know if its a trade Columbus looks at as potentially winning. Harris fills a spot but obviously not high end. Was just a matter of sending out a player that didnt want to be there and a contract they didnt want

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
"leadership group in that period was often credited as one of the best high accountability groups in the league" is one of the most subjective "titles" in hockey, and frequently gets proven to be wrong once more information comes out.

Thats not to discount issues or that Laine may have been the issue, but you also can't get nuance from this kind of story.

And again, one of Montreal's veteran leaders was with Columbus when they traded for Laine, and their new AHL coach was in Columbus afterwards (and was alleged his decision to bench him was the reason Laine wanted out of Columbus). Montreal didn't make this trade with their eyes closed, they likely know more than you or I.

I didn't suggest otherwise. This is a very defensive reaction for a post just sharing the details from the 2021 news story.

Obviously there is a lot of potential with Laine and that can balance out the baggage. I'm not saying they made a bad trade. I was just clarifying what the baggage is based on previous reporting.

The only players that left the team that offseason were Atkinson and Jones, and it feels very revisionist to say that Jones wouldn't re-sign because of Laine.

I don't know if you think you're correcting me on that point, I found the Jones-Laine theory to be very flimsy.

I also don't think its ever been a good idea to build around Laine, but how exactly did Columbus even try to do that? They never had a proven top-6 caliber center with playmaking chops his entire time in Columbus. They also basically focused on him being a trigger man and didn't play a more complementary style to his skill-set.

Much the opposite.

Laine's skill set and the way he plays is two different things. He's a great shooter but he wants to be Mario Lemieux. They gave him a lot of time to gel with Johnny Gaudreau and it didn't work because Laine insisted on carrying the puck. I think Gaudreau had a better complementary skillset to Laine's actual skillset, he was a better playmaker than anyone in Montreal.

And lets actually look at that leadership group:

-Jones: Was incredibly overrated and Columbus is better off in trading him and not re-signing him
-Atkinson: Basically had one season afterwards where he was a decent top-6 winger
-Werenski: Still a Jacket, they didn't "choose" Laine over him
-Was still a Jacket the next season and then was traded as rental at the deadline. Had a career year at 34 in Nashville, but not a player you build around at his age.

Certainly the players weren't that great (aside from Werenski) but I'm specifically talking about leadership and high standards. You can't ship out Foligno, Atkinson, Jones, Savard, etc.. and replace them with Laine, Roslovic, Domi, and Boqvist, and expect to keep the high standards you established over many years with the prior group. Laine himself is a big part of that because of how erratic his game is. He will be the best player on the ice one game and the worst the next. It's hard to keep team standards up with a guy like that.

Reactions: thebus88 and Viqsi

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I dont know if its a trade Columbus looks at as potentially winning. Harris fills a spot but obviously not high end. Was just a matter of sending out a player that didnt want to be there and a contract they didnt want

A little deeper than that. Yes they were shopping him because both the player and team wanted to move on. But they clearly did not want to take a contract back. Was there a team that was offering a 1st or 2nd to acquire but asking the Jackets to take back a 2-3 year contract dump (lets say $4-$6M)... very possible.

Most of would agree it was a circumstantial trade. The actual circumstances do vary though.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
A little deeper than that. Yes they were shopping him because both the player and team wanted to move on. But they clearly did not want to take a contract back. Was there a team that was offering a 1st or 2nd to acquire but asking the Jackets to take back a 2-3 year contract dump (lets say $4-$6M)... very possible.

Most of would agree it was a circumstantial trade. The actual circumstances do vary though.
I dont know how many rumors are true but one to Philly apparently included Johansens contract. I doubt teams were offering a premium and at the time picks werent as high of priority. I think they were happy to get a roster player that can plug in now, especially on defense.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Kind of shocked was just 2nd pick with Harris. I think for potential possibility MTL might done better. Will see when season begins. The other concern was raised about who can Columbus trade for to get closer to cap floor limit of 65 million.

Last edited:

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Not sure who won this deal. If Laine gets injured then Columbus probably did better. Columbus will have hard time driving offense though.
Columbus's priority was getting rid of Laine's cap hit, not getting rid of Laine at all costs because otherwise they would have retained and traded him for positive assets.

The Habs have absolutely nothing to lose with this acquisition. Either he explodes and they get a PPG player like how he was in 2 seasons with Columbus, or they are the ones retaining him to trade him elsewhere next year where he likely won't be negative value. Hughes only recently inquired about Laine, he was interested in a guy like Marchessault instead and maybe other players. But Habs have ample cap space so between doing nothing with that cap space and trying to get value out of it, the latter makes way more sense.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Right ..

That will surely solve their issues says *checks notes* TB forward Cam Atkinson and *checks notes* Gustav Nyquist of the Nashville Predators.

The best part is: Gustav Nyquist didn't even play in the 2020-21 season!

And apparently after Nyquist, Atkinson, Jones and Werenski said you gotta get Laine and Elvis out of here, Columbus responded by keeping Laine and Elvis, and instead traded Atkinson, Jones and Nyquist away.

I love that this is being presented as damning evidence of Laine in the locker room.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Yeah the fact that Laine, Jones, and Nyquist were never played a game together Kinda blows this supposed meeting out of the water. If meeting happened after 2021-22 season as was reported then Jones was long gone. If reporter got date wrong and it was after 2020-21 season then Nyquist never played a game with Laine that year. If you are bitching about a guy you never played a game with you might be the problem.

Edit this was supposed to be a reply to @FerrisRox

Reactions: ole ole

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
You think Portzline would say all that if it was just a “rumor”??

Yes. I don't trust anything he says regarding Laine. He had a chip on his shoulder from day 1 for some reason. If I'd have to list people who will jump on any negative Laine related rumor or joke, you and porty would be the first ones that come to mind :)

And that's why I put ZERO weight on this rumor, it's wild that it has spawned a few pages of comments.

Reactions: viceroy

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
Who trades a 26 year old that is capable of 40 goals and 80 points unless they don’t want him around the team

Great deal for the habs but let’s not pretend about the why the trade was made
Laine wanted out Waddell said it and Patty was also asked in his interview after the trade and he said it didnt matter that Columbus had new management he still wanted a fresh start

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
I didn't suggest otherwise. This is a very defensive reaction for a post just sharing the details from the 2021 news story.

Obviously there is a lot of potential with Laine and that can balance out the baggage. I'm not saying they made a bad trade. I was just clarifying what the baggage is based on previous reporting.

I don't know if you think you're correcting me on that point, I found the Jones-Laine theory to be very flimsy.

Much the opposite.

Laine's skill set and the way he plays is two different things. He's a great shooter but he wants to be Mario Lemieux. They gave him a lot of time to gel with Johnny Gaudreau and it didn't work because Laine insisted on carrying the puck. I think Gaudreau had a better complementary skillset to Laine's actual skillset, he was a better playmaker than anyone in Montreal.

Certainly the players weren't that great (aside from Werenski) but I'm specifically talking about leadership and high standards. You can't ship out Foligno, Atkinson, Jones, Savard, etc.. and replace them with Laine, Roslovic, Domi, and Boqvist, and expect to keep the high standards you established over many years with the prior group. Laine himself is a big part of that because of how erratic his game is. He will be the best player on the ice one game and the worst the next. It's hard to keep team standards up with a guy like that.
CBJ in the first 2 years after acquiring Laine did better with him in the line-up than when he missed games so apparently the support staff were not there. In the third year it was about the same with him or without him.

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
Kind of shocked was just 2nd pick with Harris. I think for potential possibility MTL might done better. Will see when season begins. The other concern was raised about who can Columbus trade for to get closer to cap floor limit of 65 million.
Mtl got the 2nd with Laine from Columbus with Harris going the other way. There is a logjam at LD in Mtl and Harris was likely the odd man out. Good player.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

I have no idea what I was supposed to be defensive about.

I'm not correcting you.

Much the opposite.

I guess I'm curious why Columbus used him that way then. Laine's strengths were generally his shot, his cycle game and carrying in for zone entries. I recall him being pretty bad at initiating breakouts.

I don't think Laine works with a more playmaker oriented guy (especially at wing), Laine's better off when he's more involved. Montreal has young guys with the potential to be complementary (same as Columbus), but also have players who have the skills to complement him now, the question is if he'll play with them.

That seems less like a Laine issue and more of a management/aging/contract expiry issue.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
I have no idea what I was supposed to be defensive about.

I'm not correcting you.

I guess I'm curious why Columbus used him that way then. Laine's strengths were generally his shot, his cycle game and carrying in for zone entries. I recall him being pretty bad at initiating breakouts.

I don't think Laine works with a more playmaker oriented guy (especially at wing), Laine's better off when he's more involved. Montreal has young guys with the potential to be complementary (same as Columbus), but also have players who have the skills to complement him now, the question is if he'll play with them.

That seems less like a Laine issue and more of a management/aging/contract expiry issue.
Laine was asked to carry the puck into the zone much more in Columbus than earlier. He got a bit better at it, but I don't agree it is one of his biggest strengths.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Yeah the fact that Laine, Jones, and Nyquist were never played a game together Kinda blows this supposed meeting out of the water. If meeting happened after 2021-22 season as was reported then Jones was long gone. If reporter got date wrong and it was after 2020-21 season then Nyquist never played a game with Laine that year. If you are bitching about a guy you never played a game with you might be the problem.

Well that knocks out another B.S. rumor. Great work CDN24.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The best part is: Gustav Nyquist didn't even play in the 2020-21 season!

Nyquist was still considered a part of the leadership group, I can't remember if he was mentioned to be at the meeting in the original report.

If you want to dissect it, just read the original. Portzline in the Athletic from shortly after the season in 2021.

You're getting all up in arms about some misremembered stuff. Stop writing complaints about it if you haven't read it.

And apparently after Nyquist, Atkinson, Jones and Werenski said you gotta get Laine and Elvis out of here, Columbus responded by keeping Laine and Elvis, and instead traded Atkinson, Jones and Nyquist away.

There's no evidence that all of those guys were vocal about it. Portzline implied it was multiple players but we don't know who.

Jarmo's decision to build around Laine and demo the leadership is not evidence that there wasn't an issue with Laine. It's actually just another instance of Jarmo making bad decisions.

The meeting was after the season in 2021. Portzline had a report on it with an inside source, published shortly after it occurred. He recently misremembered the date.

I haven't made any suggestion that Nyquist had a complaint about Laine at the time, so I don't know what you're trying to refute. Did Bus say Nyquist had a complaint?

You can have a meeting where some players complain about Laine and others don't comment. This is some great gotcha you have here.

Well that knocks out another B.S. rumor. Great work CDN24.

How does it knock it out?

Reactions: thebus88

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
This whole Laine talk simply sounds like a dysfunctional player ended up on a dysfunctional franchise and where neither came out looking great.
Laine did good in Winnipeg; a place that is passionate about hockey. Imo he’s one of those guys that needs the “juice” a Canadian market provides. And there is no better market for interest than Montreal. I see Laine having a great season. 30+ goals

Reactions: BLONG7

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

You think Columbus was telling him to look off Gaudreau and hero puck into traffic by himself?

Laine has a terrible success rate at carry-in zone entries, he is not a good puck handler. There is some room to hope that he will be less stubborn about carrying in every puck, now that he's had some time off to reflect and change his expectations. If he doesn't change, you will see turnover after turnover after turnover.

His cycle game is not good. He doesn't wheel around the zone much, and rarely goes deep. He has good hands around the net but you'll rarely see him go there, and rarely wheel around behind the net. And he's weak on the wall and gets outmuscled easily. He largely stays high in open ice above the dots. His best linemates were Jenner and Nyquist who largely took care of retrievals / puck battles and cycling for him.

Laine's strengths are shooting, passing, and backchecking. He has excellent vision for passing if he is in the mood to share.

Laine did good in Winnipeg; a place that is passionate about hockey. Imo he’s one of those guys that needs the “juice” a Canadian market provides. And there is no better market for interest than Montreal. I see Laine having a great season. 30+ goals

If you believe the points per game and the advanced stats, Laine's best seasons were 2021-22 and 2022-23. He really was a bad defensive player in his first few years in Winnipeg. His assists and 5v5 scoring were low and not high enough to compensate for his weak defense. His value was largely on the PP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad