Confirmed Trade: [MTL/CBJ] Patrik Laine, '26 2nd for Jordan Harris

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ijuka

May 14, 2016
imo he's never been the same since the Mcabe hit in Buffalo. That was one of the worst hits I've seen. But who knows.
Yep, I think he's never been the same as well. He changed his play style and became much more timid. Production aside.

Reactions: behemolari

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
A guy waiting for perfect one-timer passes from Boone Jenner. No wonder he scored less goals.

You had the problem with Patty figured out before you got to Boone Jenner…

It’s not Jenner’s fault Laine wasn’t a “fit” with any other center/player on the team. Many of them much more “skilled” than Jenner.

As a CBJ fan, the unimaginable tragedy involving Gaudreau is probably the only thing that could have ruined my happiness gained from the team finally getting rid of Laine.

Reactions: behemolari

behemolari

worst collapse in nhl history
Dec 1, 2011
I will eat my hat if that happens. He has been losing his scoring touch more and more every season, he is not even a threat on PP anymore. His shot has been figured out and he has not improved it at all.

there is only one way to go when being on cheat mode

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Since 2021:

Max Domi 166 points
Patrik Laine 141 points

🤷‍♂️
And now look at PPG and partners. 😏
---
Patrik can be a franchise player. Remember the Nyquist - Jenner - Laine line. Thanks it we have a chance to play in the PO some time. He improved every his partner.

Needless to say, we didn't need it. When he was healthy, he was our best player. Yes, he wanted to leave, but let's not forget that he has mental problems and people like that think differently.

Btw, Portzline writes that Werenski was one of those who didn't want him after the 2020/21 season. So here are his words after the 2023/24 season. I hope the Finns will translate it more accurately, but for now at least according to DeepL.

It's really shitty to see a guy go through something like that. We all love "Patty" in Columbus. I hope he gets better soon and is happy again," the American defender told Iltalente...

... He is a big part of our team. When he's at his best, he's one of the best forwards in the world.

And Johnny Gaudreau's word about Patrik:

- We will miss Patrik very much in Columbus. Everyone really hopes that he gets the help he needs," Gaudreau tells Iltalzeit in Ostrava.

Did you talk to Patrik during the season?

- Yes, I talked to him every now and then. I asked him how he was doing, how he was feeling. We also talked about other things," says the 30-year-old American.

- I hope he feels better every day. I hope we can get him back in the team as soon as possible, as long as he's well enough," continues the New Jersey native, who also played with Laine.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Laine wasn't Montreal 's first choice obviously. Imagine there's reasons why. I doubt he's in their long term plans. Hughes almost traded the 21st pick in draft for Zegras. If Hage gone by 21 Zegras be in Montreal. Think about it? Kent Hughes willing to give up a first over Laine for free?
Laine was in PAP because of psychical problems. It is a risk for everybody. Also he wanted to leave. Every GM would want to use similar situation.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
  • Wow
Reactions: HabsQC

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Apparently Laine hated the idea of playing for Torts again so much he rejected a trade to the Flyers. Anyone know the difference in taxes on $8,700,000 between Montreal and Philly?

That's really hard to determine on an individual basis without greater knowledge of tax planning or treatment of bonuses, but generally it would be around $700,000 to $800,000 more tax in Montreal than Philadelphia.

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
That's really hard to determine on an individual basis without greater knowledge of tax planning or treatment of bonuses, but generally it would be around $700,000 to $800,000 more tax in Montreal than Philadelphia.
That seems like a huge gap. Are you calculating based on the full 82 games or only the 41 home games that will actually be taxed locally?

Reactions: HabsQC

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
That seems like a huge gap. Are you calculating based on the full 82 games or only the 41 home games that will actually be taxed locally?

Roughly accounting for the local tax in different jurisdictions. But its VERY rough and I'm also not familiar with Quebec taxes (or Finnish taxes for that matter). I also didn't account for his bonus because I don't know if Columbus paid it already (likely) or if it will be paid by Montreal (unlikely).

There are also income-smoothing options available to him in Canada that wouldn't be there in Philly. The difference is likely much less and depending on the strategy employed, could even be the same/better in Montreal, but I'm posting on a message board and don't feel like doing the leg work required.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Apparently Laine hated the idea of playing for Torts again so much he rejected a trade to the Flyers. Anyone know the difference in taxes on $8,700,000 between Montreal and Philly?

If his bonus has been paid prior to the trade, his salary will be $7.1M this year, $9.1M if not.

$9.1M next year.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Roughly 10% more take home pay in PA vs Montreal speaking strictly as income.

ie one million takes home 100k more

Odd thing here is that the 10% benefits the team much more than it does the players. The players can play around the margins to save money to minimize the impact. I am not arguing that the tax rate doesn't matter, just that it probably doesn't hit as high as 10% after the financial experts are through with their magic.

I saw something on RDS (Qc french sports network) some time back about how players could claim that their primary residence was a property they owned in the US, despite living in Canada. I believe the example was Matthews in Toronto. It kind of surprised me that they could do this, but i guess it gives them a whole lot of tax breaks.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Ya definitely much more to it than plugging high 7 figures into an online calculator
it's almost unfair sometimes lol.

There are simple things any one of us can do like say - if you are 5k over a tax bracket that takes an extra 10% out of your pay , you can give 5k plus one dollar to a charity to go under, thus regaining the rest of whatever 10% represents. You may even be able to go down another bracket if you invest in tax free savings accounts, etc.

For rich people, it's an art that is only limited by how deep they want to go. You can start a business on certain things (lets say philanthropy), which opens you up to business expense tax deductions. I wouldn't be surprised they could get deductions on things like weights and training equipment, items that support the image of their brand, etc.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad