Confirmed Trade: [MTL/CBJ] Patrik Laine, '26 2nd for Jordan Harris

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Because I saw a number of posts claiming this trade had 0 risk, which I disagreed with.

"We all know there's risk" directly contradicts the countless posts from MTL fans claiming the exact opposite, that this trade is risk free.
It's semantics. Kinda like with what we have been dealing with the offer sheets by STL to Edmonton. Are they risky? Yes. Can St. Louis afford the risk? Yes.

There is not a single formula to determine that contract or trade X is universally bad. It all depends on the teams involved, and their unique situation.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
It's semantics. Kinda like with what we have been dealing with the offer sheets by STL to Edmonton. Are they risky? Yes. Can St. Louis afford the risk? Yes.

There is not a single formula to determine that contract or trade X is universally bad. It all depends on the teams involved, and their unique situation.
Yes, and I agree it's a good move.

What I don't agree with is claims that this is risk free, or claims that it is some genius move (every bad team does this in one way or another).

I don't believe that GMs should be exempt from criticism for failed moves just because they are rebuilding, which seems to be the claim a lot of posters here seem to be making. This applies to both contracts and trades.

Too often I see "it doesn't matter that *insert GM* signed *insert dogshit contract* because that player won't be here when we're contending"

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Yes, and I agree it's a good move.

What I don't agree with is claims that this is risk free, or claims that it is some genius move (every bad team does this in one way or another).

I don't believe that GMs should be exempt from criticism for failed moves just because they are rebuilding, which seems to be the claim a lot of posters here seem to be making. This applies to both contracts and trades.

Too often I see "it doesn't matter that *insert GM* signed *insert dogshit contract* because that player won't be here when we're contending"
And yet you're nitpicking the finer points of the CBA as if the minor downsides mase the whole deal a risky endeavor.

Reactions: Rozz

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
And yet you're nitpicking the finer points of the CBA as if the minor downsides mase the whole deal a risky endeavor.
I simply pointed out by how adding laine, it likely adds as much as 10 million dollars to MTLs 25-26 cap. A pretty significant sum of money. Certainly not risk free.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Fun add for MTL. He’ll score a lot goals. I’m just not sure he’ll help them win. If that makes sense.
Hi, big fan and follower of Laine’s career here. During his time in CBJ he has elevated his teammates 5v5 production. They’ve been worse without him, so I think the Habs just got a piece to turn all those 1 game losses to wins with what he’ll bring. I hope he’ll be great fit and that the team plays an offensive style because that would for sure be entertaining with your lineup.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
"It doesn't matter how much money we waste because we suck anyway!" is a WILD rebuild strategy.
“It doesn’t matter how much money we spend to achieve our goals” would be a more accurate description of what the management seem to be doing with a plan for success. The owners’ pockets are deep and the Habs have the cap space, so this is as sweet of a deal that a GM could get considering the upside IMHO.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
I believe pretty much every GM in the league would have traded their version of Harris for two years of Laine at 8.7 and a 2nd if they had the chance and the cap space.

They guy is 26 and can put the puck in the net.

It's simply an excellent move by Montreal. With zero risks of any real significance for them.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
He's a good risk but there is risk. The red flags around him is why the Habs got a great deal.

I hope he finds his game there.

Reactions: dgibb10

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I believe pretty much every GM in the league would have traded their version of Harris for two years of Laine at 8.7 and a 2nd if they had the chance and the cap space.

They guy is 26 and can put the puck in the net.

It's simply an excellent move by Montreal. With zero risks of any real significance for them.
Please don’t say something like that or else @dgibb10 will go on another 15 pages rent on how this might affect Habs rookie bonuses and LTIR next year.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
For how little hustle he has, he was an OT god for us there at one point. He's better when the game is less physical. Which is a shame cause dude is a hoss.
OT God....

Dach is a possession monster and Hutson is an ice dancer with the puck. All he has to do is get open and fire his canon.

That's why I think this is going to be entertaining as heck and deadly.

Or not....

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Not what I have said at all.

My statement was:

-taking on risky and expensive contracts as cap dumps is not a new or genius idea
-MTLs large budget gives them a lot more leeway compared to other cellar dwellers like SJS and Anaheim rn
-taking on 17 million in money is not risk free
-this could have an impact on future years due to LTIR rollovers (especially if bonuses add up with all of MTLs rookies)

Then, a MTL fan made the claim that a rebuilding team's primary focus should be getting the kids opportunities.

I responded by pointing out adding Laine actually takes opportunities away from MTLs kids.

I have questioned the value that a supposed hometown discount will provide beyond the 2 years he is contracted for.

And I have had to inform a shockingly high number of MTL fans who don't understand how LTIR works.

In fact, I like the move for MTL. The upside is there with laine to be an EV scorer and PP weapon better than anyone currently on their roster. It fills a hole. And, if things go well, Laine can help them push for the playoffs next year.

I am simply not going to pretend that bringing in a guy with laine's history and paying him 17 million dollars carries no risk.

Taking opporunities from who? Newhook? lol

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Hi, big fan and follower of Laine’s career here. During his time in CBJ he has elevated his teammates 5v5 production. They’ve been worse without him, so I think the Habs just got a piece to turn all those 1 game losses to wins with what he’ll bring. I hope he’ll be great fit and that the team plays an offensive style because that would for sure be entertaining with your lineup.

He plays high event hockey, which is why it wouldn't surprise me if those 1 goal losses were still one goal losses but with one more goal on each side. Makes the games more fun though.

stanley25

Jun 15, 2009
With the amount of money the Habs make, fans would be furious if Hughes went into the season with 20+ mil in cap room (price on ltir)
It is a 17 million dollar gamble. The gamble is that that money could have been used much better elsewhere, either by signing UFAs, taking on other cap dumps for more than just a 2nd, or buying more term on RFAs.

And again, since, as I've been told a number of times, the goal for MTL is to start competing for the playoffs in 25-26.

Laine pushes MTL into LTIR use, and so because of that may add as much as 10 million dollars to MTLs 25-26 cap.

He played with Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, and Alex Debrincat. Are these some bad linemates?

I just want to make sure I have you on the record as stating Nick Suzuki and Cole Caufield is not a good situation to be in, and they are worse than a contenders 3rd line wher

Dude if us Habs Fans aren't mad about this why are you? :huh:

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Laine takes away opportunity for young players.

In fact, he's likely to take away opportunity from one of Juraj Slafkofsky or Kirby Dach on PP1
And they will get PP2 time. Not a big deal when Dach / Newhook benefit from Laine's presence 5 on 5. Its incredibly valuable for Dach's development having a top-line winger on his line.

Using your lame logic, Jack Hughes takes PP1 time away from Nico Hischer, so he's a negative impact on the other players....

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
I simply pointed out by how adding laine, it likely adds as much as 10 million dollars to MTLs 25-26 cap. A pretty significant sum of money. Certainly not risk free.
I'm happy Habs GM is taking risks. They were stuck in no mans land with a GM who tried to improve the team with borderline 3rd liners UFAs. In fact, winning teams are actually taking risks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad