Confirmed Trade: [MTL/CBJ] Patrik Laine, '26 2nd for Jordan Harris

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Just give up man, you keep making a fool of yourself in each post of this thread, just accept that it was a great no risk trade for the habs and move on.
I made a fool out of myself in the post you quoted where I explained to an MTL fan how LTIR and accrued cap space worked?

Because it seems like a concerning number of MTL fans don't know how it works, along with bonus overages

Can’t blame him. He spent the last summer saying how the Devils were the cup favorites according to advanced stats just to see his team miss the playoff and finish second to last in the Metropolitan
The number 1 and 2 ranked teams in these advanced stats you hate so much met up in the cup final btw

Reactions: Trow

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I made a fool out of myself in the post you quoted where I explained to an MTL fan how LTIR and accrued cap space worked?

Because it seems like a concerning number of MTL fans don't know how it works, along with bonus overages

The number 1 and 2 ranked teams in these advanced stats you hate so much met up in the cup final btw
I don’t hate the stats. I hate the people who single out a set of stats to prove a point that is usually a big big stretch but does it anyway because he hate the team

Reactions: Rozz

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I don’t hate the stats. I hate the people who single out a set of stats to prove a point that is usually a big big stretch but does it anyway because he hate the team
The "advanced stats" in question half the time are literally just:

-How well does a player produce when both teams have the same amount of hockey players on the ice
-How well does a player produce when they are a man up
-How well does a player stop goals/chances against when a man down

and
Is the player getting more shots, and higher quality shots than the opponent when on the ice

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Man a swear,in every habs thread, you know dgibb10 will be there saying bad things about them with his "advance stats" theory.
Can't speak to any past occurrences (I'm not normally in Habs threads for probably obvious reasons) but it's not even "advanced stats" in this circumstance. It's mostly nonsense about hypothetical cap hit opportunity cost for a team that had $17 mil in unused space (counting Price's LTIR as "unused", which is not quite the same thing but at the margins we're at it's close enough). It's a completely absurd attempt at an argument. If the roles were reversed we'd totally have taken that risk ourselves. Heck, if he'd been willing to stay here, we would have.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
The leadership group is strong enough in Montreal to make him fall in line. If not, MSL is smart enough to make him believe in something greater than himself.

Odd chance that his 6 months into the program made him realize he isn’t the main character and not everything resolve around him. I know he used to act and talk this way. I think the bet here is Habs brass believe a mix of the leadership group and Laine turning a new leaf will be enough to make him fall in line.
I hope you're right, but it's not like the leadership group he came into in Columbus was a weak disarrayed mess. There was a King Clancy winner captain and a coach that won the Jack Adams. And that's not even mentioning Winnipeg. I know everything is Different in Montreal and the Habs are the Special Exception Always to things, but you know. Be prepared. Laine is very much his own person who does his own thing. What you've got is a captain younger than him who's never accomplished any individual awards or even a winning season (as the Habs were under .500 in their Cup final random luck season), a Smurf for a coach even with his accolades, and a lot of Good Canadian Boys in leadership positions. It could just as easily blow up in their faces because again, Laine is a volatile, unpredictable personality. I wish him the best and I hope it works out, but this is a silly statement.

Reactions: CBJx614 and Viqsi

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
Laine not a winner? Is that why you guys dumped him without retention? Because retention he's going to fetch high end asset.

I don't know Laine well. Yes I been accused many times to be astute judge of hockey talent. But what I see? Looking at his past stats, the two seasons on Colombus before last he was point a game player. Playing for bad team without high end center. I see considerable upside there. I know last year his play fell way off but i attribute some of that to mental issues.

I think injuries going to be his biggest hurdle. I remember he was injured before going on mental health program. Forget what injury was off top of my head. Shoulder I think?
Yeah your astute judge of hockey talent I was looking for 🙄. At least in your own mind….

I’m not a CBJ fan fyi

Reactions: Figgzfood

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Yeah your astute judge of hockey talent I was looking for 🙄. At least in your own mind….

I’m not a CBJ fan fyi
We're always taking new bandwagoners.
deal.gif
;)

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
I hope you're right, but it's not like the leadership group he came into in Columbus was a weak disarrayed mess. There was a King Clancy winner captain and a coach that won the Jack Adams. And that's not even mentioning Winnipeg. I know everything is Different in Montreal and the Habs are the Special Exception Always to things, but you know. Be prepared. Laine is very much his own person who does his own thing. What you've got is a captain younger than him who's never accomplished any individual awards or even a winning season (as the Habs were under .500 in their Cup final random luck season), a Smurf for a coach even with his accolades, and a lot of Good Canadian Boys in leadership positions. It could just as easily blow up in their faces because again, Laine is a volatile, unpredictable personality. I wish him the best and I hope it works out, but this is a silly statement.

Please expand on the bolded. I would love to read what point you were trying to make with that comment.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Montreal was .527 in their SCF season. The rest of this post is equally make-believe.

Reactions: Rozz

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
The "advanced stats" in question half the time are literally just:

-How well does a player produce when both teams have the same amount of hockey players on the ice
-How well does a player produce when they are a man up
-How well does a player stop goals/chances against when a man down

and
Is the player getting more shots, and higher quality shots than the opponent when on the ice
Tell me, what does those stats say about Laine? To my understand, CLB was a better team with Laine on the ice than when he wasn’t in pretty much every single metrics.
Re-read my second paragraph to the post you quoted. That’s basically what I meant. We all know Laine always had a main character arc that didn’t always translated into on-ice performance but the bet here for Montreal is that his 6 months therapy flipped the switch for Laine and brought him back to reality.

Montreal had their fair share of internal drama in the past couple of years - The Petry and Armia situation - and the leadership group as well as management and MSL handled that well.

Also, from my understanding, MSL has a way to communicate that is very unique and make you feel part of something. Hell, the guy even stayed on the ice after practice to work 1 on 1 with depth guys/healthy scratches to help them improve.

No one can humble Laine other than Laine himself but if he’s willing to move toward that path, he will have all the help and tools to succeed in Montreal and be part of something great.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
There would always be different things you can do with the money.

The risk is that laine is a bad use of money (a significant sum of money), when trying to make the playoffs.

Or of course his noted not so great attitude and work ethic rubs off on other players.

But if you want to make the claim that any move a rebuilding team makes can't be bad because even if it doesn't work out it doesn't actually matter, go ahead.

Like I said, easy to be a "genius" when there's no consequences to a failed move
How can you say there’s no consequences while also trying to argue that the potential consequences mean it isn’t a good move? You’re making no sense lmfao

Razamanaz

Oct 22, 2017
Northern Hemisphere.
Problem child ... or not that's the big, big question about Laine.:huh:

A AC/DC guy - or a ADHD-guy Patrik Laine?!

One thing is still pretty sure - he (Patrik) speaks way, way better English than some of the journalists that intervjued him comin' to Montreal!:D

Seems like a Columbus (mob) Crew ruled the locker room back in Ohio.

Headhuntin' for a couple of European guys (Laine and Elvis) explicit; even thou' a Swedish chap was involved what it seems in the ... progress.

Well, Columbus left Europe - Laine left Columbus.
People do move on.

Thank God for that ...

... and thank you Patrik, eh Peter! - as Bon Scott would'ave it!:thumbu:

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I'm NOT saying Laine is a cancer in the locker room, but many hear arguing that if Laine can disrupt team culture then it wasn't a strong culture in the first place, doesn't fully understand how a locker room cancer works. They don't infect the entire team all at the same time, they infect one, and then they both infect another, and its spreads from there.

And I repeat I don't believe Laine is a locker room cancer, but the risk is there regardless, even if unlikely.
One would have to assume they talked to Pascal Vincent at length about Laine.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Tell me, what does those stats say about Laine? To my understand, CLB was a better team with Laine on the ice than when he wasn’t in pretty much every single metrics.

Re-read my second paragraph to the post you quoted. That’s basically what I meant. We all know Laine always had a main character arc that didn’t always translated into on-ice performance but the bet here for Montreal is that his 6 months therapy flipped the switch for Laine and brought him back to reality.

Montreal had their fair share of internal drama in the past couple of years - The Petry and Armia situation - and the leadership group as well as management and MSL handled that well.

Also, from my understanding, MSL has a way to communicate that is very unique and make you feel part of something. Hell, the guy even stayed on the ice after practice to work 1 on 1 with depth guys/healthy scratches to help them improve.

No one can humble Laine other than Laine himself but if he’s willing to move toward that path, he will have all the help and tools to succeed in Montreal and be part of something great.
They say laine is an excellent individual weapon, which I think MTL could use 100% (somewhat inconsistent tho. he was atrocious in 20-21, incredible in 21-22, great in 22-23, and poor in 23-24 in terms of individual production

His problem is he doesn't drive play for his teammates all that well and gets caved in defensively

How can you say there’s no consequences while also trying to argue that the potential consequences mean it isn’t a good move? You’re making no sense lmfao
The statement was that the fanbase clearly views it as such based on their statements.

MTLs fanbase clearly seems to think that there are no consequences to making a move that doesn't work out as long as you're rebuilding

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Please expand on the bolded. I would love to read what point you were trying to make with that comment.
Is MSL not 5'8"? Is that not nearly a foot shorter than Laine? Is he simply going to keep Laine in line with his giant thighs? Or his magic leadership abilities that have so far yielded--checks notes--three straight finishes at eighth of eight in the Atlantic.

Montreal was .527 in their SCF season. The rest of this post is equally make-believe.
You're all full of hope right now. It's the offseason. This is the time to be optimistic. We were all very, very excited to bring him into Columbus, too. Which had been a playoff team for four straight years when he came in, I would like to remind you. Foligno had not yet been traded, and as a Blue Jacket he was a winner of both leadership awards the NHL has, the Clancy and the Messier. The team was delighted to get the PLD cancer out of the room. And sure, it's since come out that it turned out that team leadership--all North Americans and a Swede so North Americanized he doesn't even speak English with a detectable accent--took an immediate dislike to Laine. You know what Montreal's current leadership also looks like? A lot of North Americans. I hope it's different for Montreal, but Laine has come into two heavily North American teams and immediately clashed with them now. I'm simply telling you to temper your expectations.

A 24-21-11 record is not over .500, as that's 24 wins to 33 losses, but okay.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Is MSL not 5'8"? Is that not nearly a foot shorter than Laine? Is he simply going to keep Laine in line with his giant thighs? Or his magic leadership abilities that have so far yielded--checks notes--three straight finishes at eighth of eight in the Atlantic.
So you think coaches keep players in check by using the threat of violence? That's the angle here?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad