Msg cable options

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Point taken. :cool:

I like NHL.tv over Center Ice. Better interface online on your computer or phone, stream in hi def, switch games quickly instead of flipping channels and some channels have noticeably lower picture quality.

I've had it before - I guess my biggest issue with it is the lag over live TV - I'd follow the GDT and see goal celebration posts in the forum before I actually saw the goal lol. It's okay, I should watch the game instead of posting anyway.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
It's a shame MSG doesn't just sell their channel a la cart for $15/month. I'd pay it.

Need to figure out how I'm going to watch Rangers games in two weeks.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Been using Fubo for over a year. I actually think it's higher quality than my prior Fios subscription.

Looks amazing on my Apple tv at least. If you're going to watch in a browser, don't use Safari - the video stutters every few frames. Make sure to use chrome and you're golden.

Again, just can't emphasize this enough - on Apple TV it's downright amazing.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Obviously it differs by area but haven't these streaming services jumped significantly in price of late? The cheapest plan for Fubo is $65 it looks like while the Fios plan that covers every sports channel you'd pretty much need in NYC (I think it misses MLB Network and NFL RedZone which are both considered premium) is $70. The savings almost isn't there it seems unless you're on a grandfathered in price.
The savings is, you can cancel your Fubo during off-season months if you don't need it, and save money that way. There are no cancellation fees.

Plus, no bulky-ass cable box to rent.

If you're going to subscribe all year long, then the savings become less worth it.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Been using Fubo for over a year. I actually think it's higher quality than my prior Fios subscription.

Looks amazing on my Apple tv at least. If you're going to watch in a browser, don't use Safari - the video stutters every few frames. Make sure to use chrome and you're golden.

Again, just can't emphasize this enough - on Apple TV it's downright amazing.

I did the free trial during the play in round. Quality was good compared to FiOS...but the DVR functionality was terrible.

The good news is I may only need to pay for 4 months.

mulli25

Jun 25, 2008
NJ
Fubo is pretty solid. YouTubeTV is a better product IMO, especially with the DVR functionality, but alas doesn't have MSG.

Both are better products all around than Optimum through a DVR box.

Even if its cost-neutral to switch over to a streaming service I'd recommend it (to anyone under 50).

If landline phone is holding anyone back, look into Callcentric.

Deleted member 23124

If landline phone is holding anyone back, look into Callcentric.
It's the other way around for me. I am adamant about not giving up my land line. Callcentric while cheap is still part of "electronic" world...if power goes, so does your phone.

mulli25

Jun 25, 2008
NJ
have you streamed a live game through Fubo yet? Hoping to cut the cord with cable. Brutal

Yeah I did it during the playoffs last year, worked great for me

It's the other way around for me. I am adamant about not giving up my land line. Callcentric while cheap is still part of "electronic" world...if power goes, so does your phone.

My landline phone through Optimum worked the exact same way. Optimums phone is a VOIP service which connects everything through your modem. I assume Fios is the same as well.

Unless you have an old school dedicated line from the phone company you're probably in the exact same boat, just paying more for it.

Reactions: NYSPORTS

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Your cell phone still works. Just keep a power bank or 2 charged and use the phone for calls only and it won't be an issue in a power outage.

Deleted member 23124

Your cell phone still works. Just keep a power bank or 2 charged and use the phone for calls only and it won't be an issue in a power outage.
I very rarely use that thing (don't know where it is half the time and I only power it up when I'm out of the house (if then)....never liked them to start with...even still, eventually, they eventually run out of power as well.

Deleted member 23124

Unless you have an old school dedicated line from the phone company you're probably in the exact same boat, just paying more for it.
Call me "Old school"...same line my parents had when they alive. I even have a 1980s touch tone phone (I call them Miss Ellie phones -- anyone who saw Dallas can recall how the phone would ring in the house and it sounded like you could hear it all over South Fork!!!).

Reactions: mulli25

yrrebbor

Jan 21, 2014
New York, NY
This is my psychological barrier. I'm used to having the TV on for background noise, and the feeling of having something always showing and flipping through stations, e.g., news, Discovery, Comedy Central, whatever, when I turn on the TV. I don't even watch any sports channel like ESPN.

Another question: How do you get internet when you cut the cord?

You can play music from your computer or Spotify for background noise. The need to flip just didn't feel healthy anymore. Knowing that, I also try to avoid Facebook for the same mindless scrolling that numbs my brain. TV is for actually watching something now, and the change was fantastic. Similar feeling to not having a TV in the bedroom anymore. The bedroom is only for sleeping, adult activities, and getting changed.

Getting a $20 digital antenna is also an option. I bought one when I first cut, but in the last few years have only used it to watch political debates. There is also some TV channels built into my Samsung smart TV. I don't watch those either.

I still have to pay Spectrum for internet since FIOS is not in my building yet.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
It's only a matter of time before these stations start their own streaming service.

Until then, there's many ways to watch on the internet

Deleted member 23124

You can play music from your computer or Spotify for background noise. The need to flip just didn't feel healthy anymore. Knowing that, I also try to avoid Facebook for the same mindless scrolling that numbs my brain. TV is for actually watching something now, and the change was fantastic. Similar feeling to not having a TV in the bedroom anymore. The bedroom is only for sleeping, adult activities, and getting changed.

Getting a $20 digital antenna is also an option. I bought one when I first cut, but in the last few years have only used it to watch political debates. There is also some TV channels built into my Samsung smart TV. I don't watch those either.

I still have to pay Spectrum for internet since FIOS is not in my building yet.
I started listening to the smooth jazz stations on Radio.com. excellent background "noise" material.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Appears that MSG+ will launch in 2 days. Replaces MSG GO. My expectations are set very low.

App Download available on June 28

For the cord cutters - Subscription price below

MSG+ is being developed as a state-of-the-art streaming platform to provide fans in the region with the ability to access MSG Networks’ exclusive coverage of their favorite teams wherever they are and on their favorite devices ranging from mobile and tablet to connected TVs and other large screen applications.
Fans who do not subscribe to a traditional, bundled pay television service may subscribe to MSG+ on a direct-to-consumer basis by purchasing monthly ($29.99) and annual ($309.99) subscriptions, which will include MSG Network and MSG SportsNet and all MSG-produced Knicks, Rangers, Islanders, Devils, and Sabres games as well as other live sports, events and programming included on the networks in their area.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Cut out the Devils, Sabres, and Islanders. How much would the monthly cost then?

$28.99?
That option is still $29.99 because it makes you add back "other programming" like MSG Vault, MSG Summer of '94 and Three Courses With John Giannone.

Brutananadilewski

Nov 6, 2021
Wherever the keg is!
That option is still $29.99 because it makes you add back "other programming" like MSG Vault, MSG Summer of '94 and Three Courses With John Giannone.

Damn it!

Then I'm just better off keeping Fubo, and that crap went up in price.

Too bad that these cable companies are run by people who had lobotomies and can taste colors because what they should have done years ago was drop the price of "renting" equipment.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Not seeing the market for this at $30 when you can spend another $50 to get MSG AND dozens of other channels.

Reactions: RGY

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Yeah I cant see them landing that many subscribers at that price point.

So as a MSG (Optum) subscriber I can no longer watch on my phone at no extra charge?

For people who have cable, you will still be able to log in through your provider for free.

MSG+ replaces MSG Go and from what I've read its going to work in a similar fashion in regards to streaming games.

Reactions: Cygnus 2112

bubba5

Aug 2, 2005
For Comcast subscribers in ny-nj this is the only way to go unless you want to get FUBU

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
For Comcast subscribers in ny-nj this is the only way to go unless you want to get FUBU
How much is the combined cost of Comcast and MSG+? Fubo is around $80 per month.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad