Msg cable options

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

jgoodm3

Apr 1, 2010
Happy holiday rangers fans! Was just curious if anyone has cut the cable chord and gone with fubotv or at&t tv since they stream msg games. Curious your experiences with ranger game streaming.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
been debating on Fubo for a while yet was not aware of AT@T. Looking forward to the feedback too.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Glad this thread was started. Im ready to cut the cord in DC. Need to figure out the internet/wi-fi. I get my games from NHL.tv. I don't need my current TV package anymore.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Obviously it differs by area but haven't these streaming services jumped significantly in price of late? The cheapest plan for Fubo is $65 it looks like while the Fios plan that covers every sports channel you'd pretty much need in NYC (I think it misses MLB Network and NFL RedZone which are both considered premium) is $70. The savings almost isn't there it seems unless you're on a grandfathered in price.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Obviously it differs by area but haven't these streaming services jumped significantly in price of late? The cheapest plan for Fubo is $65 it looks like while the Fios plan that covers every sports channel you'd pretty much need in NYC (I think it misses MLB Network and NFL RedZone which are both considered premium) is $70. The savings almost isn't there it seems unless you're on a grandfathered in price.
When you start adding taxes, multiple boxes (if you have multiple tvs), and premium services, cable can quickly outpace the streaming services.

Reactions: jgoodm3 and Barnaby

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
For those investigating these options, note that I think AT&T TV only provides MSG if you're in the MSG broadcast area under their "local sports" offering.

(For Yankees/Nets fans, however, I *believe* YES is available nationwide.)

jgoodm3

Apr 1, 2010
Agree with multiple boxes the cable price does add up, plus they bundle me to pay for a phone which i don’t even use. The one confusing part is that at&t tv shows msg and msg 2 but not msg + where as fubotv offers 4 msg channels

RUNYR

Dec 24, 2020
When you start adding taxes, multiple boxes (if you have multiple tvs), and premium services, cable can quickly outpace the streaming services.
This is the only reason now to go cordless.

I live in an apartment with GF and we had AT&T before, and with Internet the price was nearly the same as we pay now for cable. Streaming isn’t cheap anymore and it’s really only cheaper now if you have multiple rooms in the house and save money from multiple boxes.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Yeah I get the multiple box issue for sure. I'm not sure of the exact prices for cable providers and I know Fios isn't available everywhere but all things considered, their rates seem to be pretty competitive to streaming services such as Fubo. Taxes are almost nothing on my bill from what I see and I don't have any premium channels such as HBO, Cinemax, etc and I don't have DVR either. I think it's either $10 or $12 for every additional box (1st one is free as part of the $70 package).

Kords

Jun 19, 2019
Been considering my options for this as well. Was waiting for the season to start to try the free Fubu trial before making any decisions. Otherwise, i'm pretty sure you can use a VPN with an NHL subscription to avoid blackout games. Would need a PC for that though, so definitely not for everyone.

yrrebbor

Jan 21, 2014
New York, NY
Cutting the cord was the best thing I ever did. I quickly learned that I watched TV just to watch TV. Now I only watch what I actually want to watch. Funny thing is, I read and watch movies a lot more now.

Reactions: will1066

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Agree with multiple boxes the cable price does add up, plus they bundle me to pay for a phone which i don’t even use. The one confusing part is that at&t tv shows msg and msg 2 but not msg + where as fubotv offers 4 msg channels

lol, i don’t even know what my home phone number is yet pay for it. I’ve never called anybody on it.

I need an updated cable wire for better internet streaming with Spectrum (unless somebody can share with me a better way to do this). Have Frontier who went bankrupt so, despite no price change, we lost MSG, YES and SNY :rolleyes:

TrueBlue9

Apr 23, 2007
Had AT&T TV for last season. Samsung TV....compared to other streaming services the interface is terrible. Cancelled because it is expensive, doesn't always work great and most importantly, when the Islanders and/or Devils are also playing (which is going to happen a lot) they do not offer MSG2 or MSG + and you miss the game entirely.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Cutting the cord was the best thing I ever did. I quickly learned that I watched TV just to watch TV. Now I only watch what I actually want to watch. Funny thing is, I read and watch movies a lot more now.

This is my psychological barrier. I'm used to having the TV on for background noise, and the feeling of having something always showing and flipping through stations, e.g., news, Discovery, Comedy Central, whatever, when I turn on the TV. I don't even watch any sports channel like ESPN.

Another question: How do you get internet when you cut the cord?

RosensRug

Oct 1, 2020
As mentioned above I've found Spectrum/Fios/RCN a better value than any of the streaming services when it comes to watching live sports. They all do promotions every month it seems like and depending on your living situation your building might have a deal with one of the providers.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Is there any info yet about Center Ice $?

Also, tried Fubo and YouTube TV and, honestly, have come to the conclusion that I'm probably better off just subbing to stuff that I actually want to watch - disney+, ESPN+, Hulu are included with certain Verizon plans, I have a sub to Netflix, plan on subbing to Discovery+, did the HBOMAX deal for $~60 / 6 months and will watch the Rangers online as soon as Center Ice is finalized. I'm going to miss out on local programming (not a whole lot other than football for me), 24/7 news channels (again, not as interested as I used to be), and Tennis Channel (no tournaments for the last 6 weeks).

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Is there any info yet about Center Ice $?

Also, tried Fubo and YouTube TV and, honestly, have come to the conclusion that I'm probably better off just subbing to stuff that I actually want to watch - disney+, ESPN+, Hulu are included with certain Verizon plans, I have a sub to Netflix, plan on subbing to Discovery+, did the HBOMAX deal for $~60 / 6 months and will watch the Rangers online as soon as Center Ice is finalized. I'm going to miss out on local programming (not a whole lot other than football for me), 24/7 news channels (again, not as interested as I used to be), and Tennis Channel (no tournaments for the last 6 weeks).
My NHL.tv season sub auto renews on the 10th for $100. Because I don't really do other sports anymore, I'm going with Sling and looking to cut xfinity tv at the end of this billing cycle. Fubo was a no-go because of no CNN. I think you can separately bundle Disney+, ESPN, and Hulu at the Hulu site, so you don't need Verizon. You can get local programming with an OTA antenna like a Mohu Leaf. Sling has pretty much the channels I want w/o sports, and the other live TV streaming options are missing some combination of channels one way or another that are deal breakers. For example Hulu doesn't have Comedy Central.

Last edited:

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
My NHL.tv season sub auto renews on the 10th for $100. Because I don't really do other sports anymore, I'm going with Sling and looking to cut xfinity tv at the end of this billing cycle. Fubo was a no-go because of no CNN. I think you can separately bundle Disney+, ESPN, and Hulu at the Hulu site, so you don't need Verizon. You can get local programming with an OTA antenna like a Mohu Leaf. Sling has pretty much the channels I want w/o sports, and the other live TV streaming options are missing some combination of channels one way or another that are deal breakers. For example Hulu doesn't have Comedy Central.

CNN? :)

I won't judge lol. I only pointed out the Verizon thing because it's included free with certain plans ("Do More Unlimited") - you get Disney+, ESPN+, Hulu, & Apple Music included at no charge (I think separately it would run you about $20/mo.). I wouldn't use Hulu or ESPN+ at all if it weren't free.

I'll get NHL.TV as well as Center Ice isn't an option without cable.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
CNN? :)

I won't judge lol. I only pointed out the Verizon thing because it's included free with certain plans ("Do More Unlimited") - you get Disney+, ESPN+, Hulu, & Apple Music included at no charge (I think separately it would run you about $20/mo.). I wouldn't use Hulu or ESPN+ at all if it weren't free.

I'll get NHL.TV as well as Center Ice isn't an option without cable.
Point taken. :cool:

I like NHL.tv over Center Ice. Better interface online on your computer or phone, stream in hi def, switch games quickly instead of flipping channels and some channels have noticeably lower picture quality.

Deleted member 23124

This is my psychological barrier. I'm used to having the TV on for background noise, and the feeling of having something always showing and flipping through stations, e.g., news, Discovery, Comedy Central, whatever, when I turn on the TV. I don't even watch any sports channel like ESPN.

Another question: How do you get internet when you cut the cord?
I had TV and internet with TimeWarner (now Spectrum). When I decided to cut the cord, I just had the TV service removed. Fortunately for me, I never "bundled" the two services, so it was easy and it didn't result in any price changes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad